A winter in Smolensk, a sixth coalition TL

Part 13- Interesting Times

Borisov, November 17th, 1812​

General Barclay sat in his chilly office in Borisov, considering his options. Bessiéres has to be about to crumble he thought, Strike now and he'll freeze in Poland. Then he turned to face out his window, where on the freezing streets, teenage conscripts shivered as they struggled to stay at attention. But these poor kids won't make it, they'll all be dead by tomarrow if we march out. The Russians may have been on their own soil, but they weren't immune to the cold either. Winter clothes were either insufficient, or just hadn't arrived at all, it was a debacle to say the least. Just then he heard the door open

His chief of staff General Yermelov stepped in, and quickly saluted, his face grim "Sorry sir, but bad news." "Oh am I fired?" Barclay said, almost sounding hopefull "Worse, sir" "Arrested?" He asked, now allowing himself to be a bit concerned "Kutuzov is coming sir, and worse still..." Barclay all but collapsed "What could be worse than that?" "The Tsar is accompanying him." "Lord have mercy!" Barclay cried, exasperated. "Here..." His took a pistol from his desk "It's less painful than having to deal with both of them." "Sorry sir, you'll have to tell the French that, we can let those two completely run things again" "I need a fucking drink, join me?" "Gladly sir."

Meanwhile in Milan​

Eugéne de Beauharnais and his secretary of war Fontanelli were in for another long night, there was still much to be done. "I know it seems premature." Eugéne said to his secretary "But I think getting the siege works at Mantua now is worthwhile, it'll give the conscripts something to do when they aren't training." His secretary nodded, as he did calculations in his head "Very well, between that and the other fortresses... We're looking at 20,000 fortress troops, plus 10,000 in the field." "And how many does that leave us to send the Emperor?"

"Uh..." The secretary poured through his papers, the dim candlelight was killing him "About 15,000 by Spring." "That'll have to do then. We'll send a division to Spain, they're gonna need it if I'm right." "Very good sir." Just then a messenger was invited in, he was clearly in a hurry "Sorry sir's, but the secretary of the interior intercepted a message from His Majesty King Gioacchino. He says it's of interest to you." Eugéne groaned "What's that pretty boy up to now?" As read the not, his expression began to change. First he was confused, than he was shocked, then he was furious. "The Emperor isn't going to be happy" He said "Get it to him at once."

Meanwhile in the Berlin Palace​

King Frederick William III and his ministers had a special guest that night, and all were anxious to hear him out. There had been dinner, some idle chit chat that nobody really cared about, now it was time for business. "I'll be blunt, your majesty" Metternich said "Napoleon cannot be trusted, and he'll bring all of Europe down if we let him." The king paled, he was afraid it would be about this "You understand my nation's position "I do, and I really don't care." Metternich said bluntly "Of course freeing Europe will be bloody, but it's going to happen."

"You sound very sure of that." Replied the king "Bonaparte is a monster, and a monster that controls half of Europe. If we betray him and fail-" "You think he's afraid to betray his allies? Look at Alexander, the two of them were practically lovers." "Still, he has thousands of men in my forts. If I declare war on him now he'll turn Berlin into his personal latrine." Metternich stood to leave "In six months Alexander will be in Berlin. Whether he's a conqueror or a liberator is your decision. Good evening" The king of Prussia watched as his guest left, as terror filled his heart.

Part 13-More bad News

Tuileries Palace, November 22nd, 1812​

"And how do you want the Germans distributed sire?" Secretary Clarke asked "I promised Bavaria and Saxony a corps each, we'll incorperate their survivors in Russia into them. The rest we'll mix in at the divisional level with our own troops, keep them under a close eye. I don't want a German army, I want an Army of Germany, one that isn't too German." "Yes sire." His secretary scrawled out the orders. "Between that and the Italians, we're looking at every corps being 30 perfent or so foreign." "That's fine, that's fine." Napoleon brushed him off. "That'll be enough, most of them don't hate me, yet." The Emperor was always restless in Paris, he preferred the campaign.

"Tell Soult and Clauzel to press the attack, drive Wellington back to Portugal." "If you say so sire" an aide rushed into the room. After whispering something to the Secretary, he told Napoleon "Sire, The Viceroy of Italy has donated a division to serve in Spain, and has a note for you personally." "Does he? Let me see." As he scanned the letter, he was shocked, griefed, and enraged. He would not stand this. "I'm sorry, but I must go to Italy." The Empress frowned "To make my nephews orphans, perhaps." Napoleon replied, his voice breaking.

Part 14- Freezing Over
By late November 1812, the armies of both great Empires were stuck in place. The cold meant horses were either eaten, or stuck in chilly stables until Spring. Soldiers on both sides were more concerned with finding proper clothing and shelter, than with fighting. Ironically for the first time, the cold likely hit the Russiansworse than the French, as the former were crowded into and around the smaller town of Borisov. Supplies had to be tightly rationed by both sides, as the cold also meant that wagons couldn't get far before their horses froze.

While the Cossacks were finally forced to let up, the cold did a far better job of interrupting the French supplies than they ever could. Minsk became a freezing, smelly, miserable encampment, where 60,000 soldiers huddled around their barracks for any source of heat. Many soldiers unwittingly poisoned themseleves with carbon monoxide, as they lit fires in unventinated buildings. On the 5th of December the Grande Armée recieived 10,000 reinforcements, that Marshal Augereau had finally marched up from Berlin.

While Napoleon was infuriated when he learned Bessiéres had abandoned Smolensk, he was in little position to do anything about it. With more pressing concerns in Italy and with much to do still in Paris, he decided to leave Bessiéres in command for the time being. The Russians were still mobilizing and training new recruits, so both sides expected a massive confrontation come Spring.

To the far North, Marshal Macdonald was finally forced to abandon any hope of besieging Riga, and began his own retreat back to Prussia. Here though the first worrying signs of desent among Napoleons allies were spotted, General Yorck and his Prussian division, left without orders and returned to Prussia alone. Macdonald was surprised, but still managed to get the men safely to Danzig, where General Rapp took charge. The Marshal himself returned to France to await another assignment.

This was in fact a problem Napoleon was fast discovering, he was short on marshals. Between Spain soaking up several of his best, and the rest still in Minsk, he was low on candidates to command his new army. This shortage would lead him to consider some old comrades...

Part 15-You Were my Brother

Naples, December 2nd, 1812​

King Murat sat in the throne room of his palace, deeply engrossed by his work. In this case, his work was reviewing some of the designs for his royal guard's uniforms. He was eager to make certain his best soldiers truely commanded respect, and looked professional in the field. His wife Caroline Bonaparte, couldn't care less as she sat next to him, as she struggled to hide his boredom "Hmm." Murat said as he reviewed a grenadier "It needs more gold tassel, and don't be afraid to ad brighter colors. Those really make the men pop, they'll look more imposing." The designer nodded, when a guard hurriedly rushed into the room "Your majesty..." He said out of breath "The Emperor Napoleon has arrived!"

Napoleon came without a carraige or a sizable entourage, he and a few other men were on horseback. With little time to prepare, Murat and his queen stood and bowed, as Napoleon wordlessly marched across the room. He met his brother in-law, and before the king could say anything his master pounced, striding right up to the face of the king. "Brother...?" Queen Caroline asked, sensing the rage that simmered under the emperor's visage.

Suddenly he moved, and in a fluid motion Napoleon snatched Murat's marshals baton from his belt. Without a moments pause he brought the baton down hard on Murat's scalp sending him crashing to the floor. In an instant Napoleon was on him, laying blow after blow into his face with baton and fist alike. "Napoleone!!! Napoleone!!!" Caroline cried as she was the only one brave enough to try and break the men up, to no avail "Tu l'ammazzerai!!" She screamed in her native tongue as her brother finally ran out of steam.

"You!" He spat with so much venom that several courtiers backed away "You sold me out. You ungrateful little prissy shit!" "Napoleon." Caroline said, more firm now "Please, what has happened?" Napoleon almost keeled over as the exertion caught up with him "Your shit stain of a husband tried turn against me, which I take it you didn't know." He pulled a letter from his coat, and handed it to her "Joachim... Why?" Was all she could say, as finally her composure broke and tears began to stain her face.

"I should have you boiled for your treachery." Napoleon said bluntly "But I'm a forgiving man." He thought for a long moment. "You'll abdicate in favor of your son, and I'll do what I promised "Nuh..nuh." Was all Murat could choke out through shattered teeth and a mouth full of blood. "Caroline." He turned to face his sister "I'm appointing you regent of Naples until your eldest son is of age." She gasped "I trust you to lead the Neapolitan people, and to support France and me. You're more of a man than your husband, so.." He turned and raised his voice so all could hear him "I expect all of you to obey my sister as you would obey me." No one said a word

"Now, General Murat... As much as it makes me sick to say it, I'll need you this spring. So pick your sorry ass up and join me in Milan by next month. After that you're never to step foot in this kingdom again. Now, I'm off to give this baton to a more deserving man. Good day." Napoleon marched back out ofbthe palace wordlessly, and Murat, covered in blood and spittle, began to weep.

And in the north a man is waiting for his time to strike at Napoleon. No, not the Russian leaders, but one of his former marshalls, crown prince Bernadotte of Sweden

My bad since I didn't make that clear. He was in secret talks with Russia/Austria to flip if could keep Naples as in OTL. It's just he did it at the worst possible time when Napoleon was less busy.

At this point with everything exposed and Napoleon stripping him of crown/titles, he has no reason not to turn on Napoleon even if he gets nothing, or flee at least.

At this point with everything exposed and Napoleon stripping him of crown/titles, he has no reason not to turn on Napoleon even if he gets nothing, or flee at least.
True but without his army in Naples, it's doubtful anybody would take him, not to mention he'll be closely watched after this.

Part 16- An Old Friend

Marseille, December 15th, 1812​

"Sir?" A butler asked as his master tended a fireplace "What is it?" Marshal Masséna replied "I'm sorry to disturb you, but The Emperor is in your parlour, he'd like to speak to you." The marshal shot up, he hadn't been expecting guests at all, let alone his old boss "Break out the good vintage" he said quickly "Tell him I'll be down as soon as I'm dressed." His butler bowed and left, as Masséna hastily got into uniform. Why would he visit now, doesn't he have better things to do than ream my ass some more? He thought.

Minutes later the two old comrades were sipping wine and making small talk. Messéna was surprised at this, it wasn't like Napoleon to waste time. But today the Emperor was in a nostalgic mood, and time was spent reminiscing about Castiglione, Arcole, all the youthful glory of the Italian campaign. Finally the marshal broke the mood "I dare not to be a bad host for my Emperor, but to what do I owe this honor?" Only now did he notice the marks on Napoleon's knuckles "Been in a fight lately, sire?" He asked with a bit of cheek.

Napoleon nodded "I had the pleasure of practicing dentistry on my 'dear' brother in-law." He chucked bitterly "Murat?" Masséna sat up "Let me guess, pretty boy panicked and tried to turn coat?" Napoleon smiled "Sharp as ever, Prince of Essling, my sister has taken over for the time being." "She'll be good at that sort of work" "Mmm." "You still haven't told me why you're here, with all due respect, out with it sire."

The emperor stood and began to pace the room "You may have disgraced yourself in Portugal, but that was one humiliation after 15 years of glorious service. You're still the dear child of victory, Masséna, but you got spoiled is all. I've given up far too much to those who betrayed me, you're many things, but you're no traitor. I'll need good men in Russia, and you're one of the few I can rely on, will you serve with me again?" The Emperor held out his hand, and the marshal thought for a very long moment "I accept, Sire." And shook hands with his old friend.

Grouchy being a cavalryman I think is a good choice for the next baton, Poniatowski makes sense too but Nappy might be a bit more reluctant due to Murat's treachery.

Part 17- A New Coalition

Winter Place, St. Petersburg, December 20th, 1812​

All the fireplaces and candles did little to warm the frigid halls of the Russian palace, as the guests from Britain shivered under four coats while awaiting the rest of their company for the afternoon. Next to the vacant throne sat Russian Chancellor Nikolay Rumyantsev. "I do apologize for the cold." The chancellor said "I know you have no need to acclimate to this ridiculous chill." Lord Castlereagh remained stone faced "For matters of this importance we'd have swam naked in the Baltic." His nation's ambassador to Russian Sir Edward Thornton, nodded.

The chancellor laughed "Careful, you sound like a Scandinavian." "Speaking of which" Castlereagh said "When can we expect the rest of our guests?" The Russian frowned "Who's to say" he shrugged "I don't expect a Swede, real or adopted to be punctual. Metternich has no such excuse." After a few more awkward minutes of small talk, the Ausrian minister arrived "Greetings all!" he said in French "Such a shame we must speak the language of the devils if we are to communicate." Bernadotte followed in, red faced, right as he said that.

After a few minutes of exchanging pleasentries, the meeting commenced "On behalf of the Tsar" Said the chancellor "I would like to formally propose the formation of a sixth coalition against France." Everyone in the room nodded "Furthermore." he looked down and frowned "The Tsar believes that since Russia has contributed more blood and commitment against France than any other European state, that Russia should be the senior partner of said coalition."

Bernadotte scoffed "What the Tsar means to say, is that he'd like us all to kiss his chest while he carves up Europe like a cabbage." "I wouldn't speak that way about a sovereign while you stand in his throne room." Rumyantsev curtly shot back "Especially someone who's own sovereign probably can't even wipe himself." Castlereagh and Sir Edward shared an awkward look "You'll get your due, all of you, but we need to cooperate for that." Now Castlereagh pounced.

"I couldn't agree more, which is why it confuses me that only half the men in this room stand as enemies of France." Metternich retorted "You say that like you'd be eager to fight if the channel vanished." "Don't you still have soldiers fighting for the boneyman?" Metternich turned red "Yes" Rumyantsev joined in "In fact, you're technically still our enemy, would be quite a shame if I had you arrested." "Fine, we'll get them out of there." "Good, but that still it remains to be seen when you'll actually join the coalition."

"As I made clear already." Metternich said "As soon as we have assurances from Prussia." "And when will they join?" Metternich mumbled "As soon as they have our assurances." "Unbelievable." Rumyantsev said "Germans." Castlereagh agreed. It was clear as the meeting progressed that this alliance would come about, but it would be one of necessity...

Winter Place, St. Petersburg, December 20th, 1812​

All the fireplaces and candles did little to warm the frigid halls of the Russian palace, as the guests from Britain shivered under four coats while awaiting the rest of their company for the afternoon. Next to the vacant throne sat Russian Chancellor Nikolay Rumyantsev. "I do apologize for the cold." The chancellor said "I know you have no need to acclimate to this ridiculous chill." Lord Castlereagh remained stone faced "For matters of this importance we'd have swam naked in the Baltic." His nation's ambassador to Russian Sir Edward Thornton, nodded.

The chancellor laughed "Careful, you sound like a Scandinavian." "Speaking of which" Castlereagh said "When can we expect the rest of our guests?" The Russian frowned "Who's to say" he shrugged "I don't expect a Swede, real or adopted to be punctual. Metternich has no such excuse." After a few more awkward minutes of small talk, the Ausrian minister arrived "Greetings all!" he said in French "Such a shame we must speak the language of the devils if we are to communicate." Bernadotte followed in, red faced, right as he said that.

After a few minutes of exchanging pleasentries, the meeting commenced "On behalf of the Tsar" Said the chancellor "I would like to formally propose the formation of a sixth coalition against France." Everyone in the room nodded "Furthermore." he looked down and frowned "The Tsar believes that since Russia has contributed more blood and commitment against France than any other European state, that Russia should be the senior partner of said coalition."

Bernadotte scoffed "What the Tsar means to say, is that he'd like us all to kiss his chest while he carves up Europe like a cabbage." "I wouldn't speak that way about a sovereign while you stand in his throne room." Rumyantsev curtly shot back "Especially someone who's own sovereign probably can't even wipe himself." Castlereagh and Sir Edward shared an awkward look "You'll get your due, all of you, but we need to cooperate for that." Now Castlereagh pounced.

"I couldn't agree more, which is why it confuses me that only half the men in this room stand as enemies of France." Metternich retorted "You say that like you'd be eager to fight if the channel vanished." "Don't you still have soldiers fighting for the boneyman?" Metternich turned red "Yes" Rumyantsev joined in "In fact, you're technically still our enemy, would be quite a shame if I had you arrested." "Fine, we'll get them out of there." "Good, but that still it remains to be seen when you'll actually join the coalition."

"As I made clear already." Metternich said "As soon as we have assurances from Prussia." "And when will they join?" Metternich mumbled "As soon as they have our assurances." "Unbelievable." Rumyantsev said "Germans." Castlereagh agreed. It was clear as the meeting progressed that this alliance would come about, but it would be one of necessity...
Couple comments:
1. Halls of the Winter Palace had been drafty but still allowed the balls with the women lightly dressed. So the part about the fur coats belongs to the same category as the white bears on the streets of Moscow. 😜
2. Out of many halls and rooms of the Winter Palace the Throne Hall would be probably the least suitable place for the discussions due to the absence of the table and chairs. Probably something less extravagant would do with Alexander (if present) using an arm chair.
1692374369361.jpeg

3. Sorry, but Bernadotte’s reaction is as close to ASB as it goes without the Marians really landing. First, Alexander was his main supporter and ally and 2nd, his manner of expression in the “high society” was seriously different from the barrack style (plenty of examples survived).

Part 18-Peninsula
Napoleon's decision to invade Russia had completely upended the situation in Iberia, where French forces had finally seemed close to victory. Marmont's defeat at Salamanca in August had forced Marshal Soult to abandon the two year siege if Cádiz, not to mention led to Madrid having to be abandoned. Wellington even managed to besiege Burgos, but a lack of siege guns and the consolidation of the French position forced him to withdraw back to the Portuguese border in Autumn. Well this was a setback, huge areas of Spain had been liberated from French control, and their situation wasn't improving.

In addition to the 20,000 men who'd been poached to attack Russia, another 20,000 were recalled to rebuild the Grande Armée in November. This was much to the annoyance of the Marshals in Spain, as it seemed like Napoleon undermined their positions every time they managed to stabilize the line. What's worse is that the guerillas, already a major thorn in the French's side, were becoming better led and organized than ever before. The largest bands, such as those under Espoz y Mina and Juan Martín "El Empecinado" Díez, held thousands of Guerillas, and launched huge attacks on French convoys.

Another problem faced by the French was the nature of their command from the top-down. Napoleon hadn't stepped foot in Spain for years, and didn't comprehend the situation fully. His orders were often out of date, and lacked a true understanding of the conditions faced by his generals. King Joseph himself had little of his younger brother's military skill, but was at least aware of this fact. His military advisor, Marshal Jourdan, was somewhat capable, but was also sickly and hadn't had a major independent victory since the 1790s. The fact that three of among Napoleon's arguably best marshals, Soult Suchet and Marmont, had to take orders from three men who didn't understand what was going on, certainly didn't help matters.

While the Peninsular Winter's were nowhere near as harsh as those in Russia, they still came with problems. The terrible dusty roads were turned into mud by cold rainfall, and both armies soon became locked up where they stood. The Rain in Spain fell mainly on the plains, but the mountain passes also soon became all but impassable. Wellington didn't plan to be idle long however. As soon as the weather permitted, he intended to see the Pyrenees by next Fall...

Part 19-Winding Up.
As 1813 began throughout Europe, the actual military situation in Russia changed little. Disease, malnutrition and the cold continued to take a toll on the garrisons of both armies, who didn't dare attack despite being mere days from eachother. Marshal Bessiéres was still busy, reorganizing tattered units and trying to fortify Minsk when the weather permitted. The cold meant that supplies couldn't be brought in from Germany at all, and the soldiers were forced to subsist on stale biscuits and rock hard salted meat.

General Barclay was in a similar predicament, much to the chagrin of his superiors, General Kutuzov and Tsar Alexander himself. The Tsar in particular had made a show of personally taking command of Russian forces in Borisov, but had little to do. Many of his advisors indeed urged him to return to St. Petersburg, where negotiations to form the Sixth coalition were ongoing. But the Tsar, despite his fury at his chancellor for botching said negotiations, and needlessly antagonizing Bernadotte, insisted he was needed with the army. He even issued a proclamation on the Orthodox new year, vowing not to return to Moscow or St. Petersburg until he'd seen Paris first.

The French position was made even worse in early January, when orders came to withdraw some of the best remaining troops. Indeed, Marshal Lefebvre and the Imperial Guard were called home, as were many of the German states most intact units. While this did have the effect of severely hitting morale, as many soldiers who remained thought they were being abandoned, Napoleon had his reasons for this. For one he was going to need seasoned officers and NCO's to make up the backbone of his new army, and thusly so would the Germans.

As such, most of his best remaining Marshals and other Corps commanders were recalled. Bessiéres was left with about a divisions worth of cavalry under Grouchy, who had served well as his cavalry commander so far. Ney and Davout kept their respective III and I Corps, which were now a multinational mess of units of various strengths and nationalities, along with the Polish V Corps under Poniatowski. The rest of the major commanders and Marshals left in early Febuary, about 15,000 in all. Between the Winter attrition and this detachement, the French had barely 30,000 men and 150 guns left in Minsk. While the 1812 campaign had been grueling, the largest war in European history to that date was just starting...

Part 20-In Laws, am I Right?

Tuileries, March 1st, 1813​

"Maret! Caulaincourt! Where are you!" Napoleon shouted as he stormed about the halls of his palace. A royal residence was both a home and a seat of government, and nowhere was the contrast more striking than the court of Napoleon during wartime. Ministers and aides rushed to and fro, as the work of building an army was thrust upon the existing pressures of maintaining a nation. All the parlours and great rooms had been turned into offices and workspaces, while nobles and even the occasional other Bonaparte tried to keep out of their way. Napoleon was busy, though this wasn't the first time he'd had to create an army, now he had bigger problems.

As he finally found his Foreign Minister and advisor, he rushed up to them, fractically clutching an opened envelope. "My father in-law is really a twit, you know that." He said, rage bubbling. Caulaincourt motioned for the letter, and Napoleon shoved it into his hands "I was aware of that sire." He said "But let's see what the damage is before..." He trailed off as he studied the letter. "You're kidding, really?" Was all he could say. Napoleon went off again "I know! 'Can't maintain his position' what horseshit!"

"So the Austrians just went home, sire?" Maret now asked "That's right, just packed up and went home." Napoleon put his hands behind his back "Well, one quality I certainly don't lack, is the ability to know when I'm being fucked over, and I am. Something odd happening, and my father in-law is a bad actor, and a coward." He turned to see his minister had no clue what he meant "He's too scared to openly oppose me now, but also won't support me, he's setting up to betray me when the time is right." Maret had a thought "You do realize sire, that this is quite a clear violation of the Treaty of Schönbrunn, grounds for war even."

Napoleon let out a chuckle "War with Austria? Russia is all the headache I need right now, I don't fancy fighting two great powers at once." "You've done that before." Maret flattered him "True, true. But..." He stared off into space for a moment. "These animals, have learned something I think. They aren't so easy to put down anymore." "Anyway sire, what do you want to do?" Napoleon thought for awhile longer "Tell my father in-law he's a bastard- in more diplomatic terms." He said quickly as his minister nodded and began to write something down "We can't risk a war with the Hapsburgs as well, not unless they get greedy."

"Tell him that we won't require any more direct Austrian commitment to the war with Russia, I don't need help from them anyway. If they keep getting bold, they can be dealt with whenever the time comes." Napoleon realized he'd forgotten something "Damn, what time is it?" "7:30, sire." "Son of a whore, I have to meet with Clarke to discuss the new corps commanders. You both know what to do, good morning." The Emperor left without another word.

Once he was gone, both ministers all but collapsed into their seats "That man... is murdering me." Maret sighed "Indeed, I hate to imagine what the actual campaign will be like." "That's when it pays to be a minister my friend." Caulaincourt laughed "Well it won't hurt to have a corps commander for a brother." "Really? Is that sure thing?" "Not quite, but the Emperor was impressed with how he took over when Montbrun was wounded at Borodino." "Even if he got wounded in the first charge himself?" Caulaincourt laughed "That's what I said, but still, you know how the Emperor values luck..."

Part 21-Order of Battle
In the final week of March 1813, Napoleon began his final preparations for his renewed campaign in Russia. He found himself at the head of an army that plainly didn't exist six months prior, of the new French troops, barely one in five had actually seen regular service. Many were part time soldiers of the National Guard, whose "Provisional line infantry regiments" showed terrible discipline and cohesion on the march. Most of the rest were simply teenaged concripts, who were both eager and frightened, many of their fathers hadn't come home in one piece over the last 20 years.

The Imperial Guard had been entirely reorganized. The old guard had lost just under 2/3 of its men in Russia one way or another, and so the best of the Peninsular war veterans refilled the ranks. The hitherto monodivisional old guard now had two, the second one was formed from middle guard regiments and some Polish, Saxon and Italian grenadiers. The young guard though was a new beast, a full two divisions of the best conscripts and volunteers, and another corps worth were on the way. In any case Marshal Mortier led the old guard, Oudinot the young guard, and General Kellermann (Son of the marshal of the same name) led the guard cavalry, though barely quarter of them were French.

The six French corps were all similar in composition, usually mostly conscripts with a handful of experienced soldiers sprinkled in, plus some donations from the Confederation of the Rhine. II Corps was led by Marmont, IV Corps by Soult. These detatchments left Suchet and Jourdan as the only marshals left in Spain, and both men even joked that they'd never return, one way or another. Generals Bertrand and Lauriston took command of VI and VII Corps respectively. X and XI Corps were the special ones in the group, due to the nature of their commanders. Marshal Augereau nominally retained his command of the vastly reorganized XI Corps, ironically one of the most experienced units west of the Oder, with how many deserters had been caught over the past months. Marshal Masséna it seemed had come back into the good graces of Napoleon, and so would fight in his army once more.

While many of the German states were noticeably chintzy in providing troops, Prussia even refused to send a single soldier to war, two Corps were still provided for the Emperor. IX Corps under Bavarian Field Marshal von Wrede was waiting near Leipzig to deploy. Reynier and the Saxons were folded into XII Corps. Both these corps heavily included troops from the more minor German states, as well as the occasional Italian, Dane, or Swiss.

The Duchy of Warsaw managed to form another unit as well, XIII Corps, which General Dąbrowski took charge of. They also gave Napoleon II Cavalry Corps under General Sułkowski, which was sorely needed, as I Cavalry Corps under General Nansouty was the only other such unit Napoleon had. Many horses and cannon had met their end in Russia, so in that regard the French were severely undergunned. Overall Napoleon had about 100,000 Frenchmen (though this figure also includes soldiers from The Neatherlands and other regions under direct French administration) 50,000 Germans, 50,000 Poles, plus a handful of Italians under arms by April. This however does not include the over 200,000 men in training from Bayonne to Białystok and everywhere in between. As this massive army began its march out of Mainz on March 30th, Napoleon had only one vision, Moscow in flames...

Last edited:
I have some questions:
1. Germany:
-Did Prussia soon start rebellion against Emperor? Gold from Albion and harsh words from Vienna are enough for Prussian King ? Or Queen from Berlin has more balls than her husband?
- Which countries from Confederation of Rhine participated in this? We can read of Bavarian, i think second in numbers are saxon but which others? This question is just for my curiosity.
- Can Napoleon birbe Austria? You know, Iliria send back, or something in Germany? Austria still can give more troops than Germany
2. Spain:
-Did esteemed author have some plans that can change OTL? Still Wellington will see other side of Mountains?
3. Poland:
- So Poniatowski will be Marshall?