A winter in Smolensk, a sixth coalition TL

I don't have anything against Bernadotte, though I can see where you'd get that impression. If anything, I'd think him rushing back to command and leading his men immediately after being captured would make him look good to his peers.
Why wasn’t he “good” with them to start with? AI was on the very good terms with him because his clearly spelled position allowed to move troops from Finland to Riga at the most critical time. The Prussians were fine with him because in 1806 he granted Blucher very honorable terms of capitulation.

He'll certainly getting more chances for independant command as things unfold.
And this would go right opposite to OTL (which may make things interesting) where he started from a high position because this was the only way the Allies could entice him but later lost interest due to the unclear Allied position regarding Norway. Why would he agreed to a subordinate position in your TL?

His very cautious (unlike TTL) usage of the Swedish troops also was dictated mostly by Norway-related plans: he wanted to have an operational army if and when it comes to going to war over it. Well, and of course the big losses could hurt him image in Sweden (but quite a few of the Swedish officers were pissed off by the absence of “glory”).

I hope this does not come off as nitpicking, but would it have made more sense to parole Bernadotte pending the release of some French generals captured by the Allies?
In the short term maybe, but in the long term just releasing him signals to coalition that he's not trying to harm them, and won't use threats or intimidation against them personally. After attacking Russia, he has a lot of work to do rebuilding his credibility.

Part 36- Diplomacy?

Lindenau, July 26th, 1813​

The small Saxon suburb had been turned into a horrific display. Men with every type of wound lay sprawled wherever there was space. Teenagers with limbs shredded by cannon or by the saws of their own surgeons were left in the blistering July sun, others crammed into stifling, reeking farmhouses and hovels. On the whole however the Grande Armèe remained on its toes, three corps guarded the destroyed bridge over the Elster and its environs, cavalry scouted the miles of riverbank North and South of Leipzig, all while Napoleon, sulking in his tent, considered his options.

Outside, General Duroc sat in irritated vigil, acting as the last line of defense if any would-be visitors had the rank or the indignation to disobey the guards. As the general unhappily contemplated the happenings of the past week, one of the aides rode up to him "Ah, General Drouot." Duroc greeted the aide "To what do I owe the pleasure?" "General Duroc." Drouot smiled tipped his hat "I have a guest for the Emperor waiting." Duroc raised an eyebrow "And pray tell, what guest thinks he can demand an audience with His Majesty, especially when he's asked not to be disturbed?" Drouot shrugged "Mere generals like us shall never know I'm afraid, a certain colonel of Austrian cuirassiers has a sealed message, from his emperor to our own." Duroc shrugged himself, before nodding "Bring him up then please."

Napoleon couldn't think of a time when he'd been in a more sour mood, well actually he could. Four years prior, when his best friend had been killed on the Danube, and a year later when he'd had to bid farewell to his first wife, perhaps he'd felt worse then, though the latest events were certainly in the running to compare. Now though, he had to put his passions aside, he had much to do. His mind was in a rapid fire debate with itself, running over option after option. We can't counterattack. Napoleon thought. Not across the Elster anyhow. We can't go North, Austria would pounce, we can't retreat, that would cost us Germany. We can't stay here, that will accomplish nothing. Napoleon racked his brain, letting out a frustrated growl, this wasn't going anywhere.

"Sire?" Duroc cautiously called into the tent. Napoleon turned to him with a look that could melt lead "I told you to leave me alone, Duroc, don't you turn into a fool now too." "My apologies sire, but there's an Austrian officer here, he's got a message from his emperor." Napoleon was surprised out of his melancholic rage "Oh? Well send him in." Duroc nodded, and ushered the Austrian inside. "So, what can I do for you Colonel...?" "Auersberg, your majesty." He replied. Napoleon invited the officer to sit, while he remained standing.

"His Majesty Francis I of Austria, has a personal letter for Your Majesty, your eyes only sire." The officer handed Napoleon a sealed letter, which he took wordlessly
_____

To The Emperor Napoleon​

I very urgently request your majesty to open negotiations with the Coalition, so that a peaceful and Stable Europe, free of suffering and dismal bloodshed, can be preserved. If Your Majesty does not accept this proposal, then as a sovereign I may be forced to take part in military action. I beg you to consider the cost in humanity of these dreadful war-Your father in-law, Francis I

Napoleon chucked bitterly, he'd been had by the Austrians again. "You may tell my counterpart" He seethed "That I will readily accept a ceasefire and opening of negotiations." He spat through clenched teeth. "Understood?" The colonel nodded "I understand, sire." "You're dismissed." The officer left without another word. Moments later, Napoleon called in Duroc "I want letters to Paris." He urged "Tell them to send every soldier they can spare." "Yes sire." Napoleon frowned "And tell the empress I'd like to join her in Dresden, she might get to see some family." The generals face fell, though the Emperor didn't notice "Anything else sire?" "Yes, have Marshals Oudinot and MacDonald switch commands. Oudinot is to hold Hamburg, MacDonald shall take the young guard." Duroc nodded "I'll inform Marshal Berthier, sire." Napoleon nodded a dismissal, and returned to his melancholy.

You might wanna turn on the doom music for the next post, folks.
Huh, I thought the height of action had passed for now. There going to be some brawling in Dresden if the Austrians accept Napoleon meeting? Assuming he doesn't have some mad scheme to assassinate his rivals, Boney IS wise to accept the request for negotiations- though if he'll swallow his pride enough to accept terms is anyone's guess.

though if he'll swallow his pride enough to accept terms is anyone's guess.
Pretty sure he can't. His domestic situation is anything but stable. Accepting means losing his power and possibly dying. So long as there's an external enemy, he's safe. Once there's peace, the knives come out.

though if he'll swallow his pride enough to accept terms is anyone's guess.
He repeatedly wasn't in OTL.

Pretty sure he can't. His domestic situation is anything but stable. Accepting means losing his power and possibly dying. So long as there's an external enemy, he's safe. Once there's peace, the knives come out.
His situation wasn't that dire, and peace, even a disadvantageous one wouldn't be enough to shake his government, in fact I think it would make it stronger as long as he doesn't lose the Rhine and doesn't have to pay indemnities.

Last edited:
On the other hand, the Coalition clearly has Napoleon on the ropes, why would they offer him anything except abdication and exile?
Even in OTL they were not asking that much of him. They asked:

On the other hand, Russia is possible future problem, while France is an emmediate one, and for last 20 years...
Not with the Austrian emperor's grandson to be on the throne.
That's something 20+ years in the future, if ever, as much as any of them knows in 1813...
He's not on the ropes enough, and the costs of prosecuting a war into France with Napoleon's army still intact would be immense.
Vienna wants to play the long game.

Russia, Prussia and France are matters of the day, not of the future, the Austrians knew that both a victory of France or a victory of Russia and Prussia would present challenges as soon as the war ended.

Skirmish at Merseburg

Near Merseburg, July 28th, 1813​

"Are you sure this is wise sire, especially at a time like this?" Marshal Ney asked quisitively "Michel Ney urging caution?" Napoleon retorted with a chuckle from his carriage "Maybe Dr. Larrey should have a look at you." "I can't fix whatever's worked its way into him!" Larrey called from his horse a ways up the column "I'm a physician, not a magician!" Napoleon let himself have a laugh at that, as Ney bristled on his own mount, trying his best not took offended "Anyway, I'm certain this is a good idea, I want to be as far North as possible when the armistice takes effect tomarrow." Ney nodded "Isn't there a risk that-" "Ney." Napoleon cut him off sternly "You're the last marshal I'll allow to lecture me on politics, I'll do my job, you do yours." Ney bristled as he rode back to the rear.

Nobody knew it, but barely a quarter mile away, in a patch of trees near the path the army marched on, the enemy lay in wait. Colonel Grekhov and his namesake regiment of Don Cossacks had been sore about missing the great clash at Leipzig, their mission had at first seemed quite mundane: Ford the Elster, conduct reconnaissance, raid targets of opportunity and then return. They'd managed that without much fuss, but what they hadn't expected was for the French to start North. That morning, they awoke to the sound of French drums and marching songs. The colonel couldn't believe it, the French were still operating in what they considered friendly country, and had marched right past the small woods where they Cossacks had encamped.

"Are you sure this is a good idea sir?" Grekhov's second in command asked in a hushed tone "Well.." The Cossack shrugged "It's certainly worth it. If we succeed, this war is over, or at least cut down a damn good bit. If we fail... well I doubt the Tsar will take much notice of losing a few of us." Suddenly a messenger arrived on foot "Sir! We've spotted what looks like Bonaparte's Headquarters, I saw his carriage myself, no indication we've been spotted." Grekhov nodded "Good, good. Get the men saddled up, not a peep until I give the order to charge."

Napoleon chaffed in the sweltering carriage "Anyway." He asked Berthier "What's this I hear about a Coalition regiment of defectors?" "I believe it's fabricated sire, a handful of officers perhaps, the rest are just Germans in our uni-" Their conversation was cut short, as the sound of thundering hooves and the terror inducing cry of "URAHHHHH!!!" filled the air. All eyes turned to the left of the road, as a tide of men and horses swept at lightning speed towards the French column.

"Aw for fucks sake." Was all Napoleon could say as the horde surged towards his column. Berthier was first out of the carriage "Draw swords gentlemen!" The marshal called as he drew his own "Defend your Emperor!" Napoleon plucked a ready pistol and sword from a box, before scurrying behind Berthier. He considered standing with his chief of staff, but thought better of it, rushing behind his carriage just as the sea of bloodthirsty horsemen came upon him.

It was carnage. Scattered soldiers fired wildly as lances and bayonets clashed. Napoleon watched the horses surge past his carriage, before wheeling around with frightening swiftness, all the while skewering whoever they could find. One horseman locked his eyes on the Emperor, charging headlong, spear in hand. Napoleon aimed his pistol and fired, missing wildly as the Cossack rushed him. A corporal shoved him aside, taking the lance thrrough the stomach as he was swept away, screaming all the while as the cavalryman dragged him downn the road.

Napoleon was almost offended he'd been ignored in favor of the corporal, before he realized: Without his trademark hat and chasseur's jacket, which he'd removed in the heat, he was hard distinguish from a camp follower or a cook. All around him though, men and officers were viciously fighting for their lives. Napoleon spotted Dr. Larrey, a saber in each hand fighting off half a dozen Cossacks as he defended a wounded officer.

Finally, the blowing of bugles heralded relief for the French. Ney was back, and with his typical reckless courage, led an ad hoc mix of cavalry and his own staff against the Cossacks. Napoleon couldn't help but grin as Ney dove into the fray, ripping one horseman straight off his mount, sabering him as he tried to stand. Finally under the onslaught of the French cavalry and infantry, they'd had enough. the Cossacks turned and galloped back into the woods, all the while under French fire.

Minutes later, as the soldiers were continuing to capture wounded Cossacks and collect their precious horses, Napoleon greeted Ney "You're as punctual as you are brave Ney." Napoleon said, the adrenaline still making his blood run hot. "I'll see you're rewarded for it." "Of course sire." Ney replied "I seem to have lost another horse, perhaps your majesty would indulge me with one of the mounts of these... brutes." "Take your pick by all means." The Emperor replied. "Sire." General Lebrun called out "We found their commander." He stepped over to Napoleon, flanked by a bearded and bloodied figure "Speak French?" Napoleon asked him "Bit of German." He said shaking his head. Napoleon nodded "You're a credit to you're people, you got stones." He gestured appropriately. The Cossack seemed confused, but nodded "General, please see the colonel is treated as his rank dictates." "As you wish sire." Labrun nodded and led him away.

Napoleon finally would find Berthier, nursing a nasty gash on his forehead "You look no worse for wear sire." the marshal grinned "Good showing Berthier, I need a favor though, between us." Berthier looked as his expression darked "Have Larrey make up a vial of poison, preferably something that works quickly..."

Last edited:
On the other hand, the Coalition clearly has Napoleon on the ropes, why would they offer him anything except abdication and exile?
Austria doesn't really care who sits on the French throne, they just want their territory and their suzerainty over Germany back. If they can do it bloodlessly, all the better