The Dukes of Fernau, for now.

This chapter is actually one of my favourites so far, mostly because it's a full chapter of reading Martin's thought process and i find it highly amusing that we've the same kind of autist-like thinking.

Besides, i like very much where he is going with this, i do wonder, though, what Jakob's reaction will be when he gets caught up on what his son has been doing and (mainly) thinking up during his absentee rule. Also, i love the idea of a mangrove "palace"! Besides,
Nothing you Kettlers ever envision is ever quite vast enough.
This line is priceless from Tevel.

"Take care less they help themselves to your pie while you busy yourself warding off a rival."
This reads like a mercantilist parable, and I'm down for it.

A blessing all things considered. Also they could attract young men with few prospects from lands not part in the colonial venture like the Italian Kingdoms, Aragon, Poland or the HRE on their Merchant Navy.
Yes, in the fine tradition of oceanic enterprise since the 1400s, or merely sea-scale enterprise since traders filled boats with cargo. But just as Martin asked whether slaves become Courlanders, do foreign traders serving as kontor officials become Courlanders? (A question this timeline would then have some fun unpacking.)

This is big. Should the Courlanders intermix as he envisions, the interior will be opened to them centuries before the Empires of Europe, and it'll be too late then because Courland will also be a power.
First, Intermix sticks out like a sore thumb to me. Portugal intermixed, by accident, and gave the coast from Senegal to Elmina its senhora traders and other commercially-influential mixed-race people (ditto Principe, São Tomé, maaaaaybe the tiniest bit in Fernau and Annobon, almost certainly the coast of Kongo and definitely Angola - but I've pursued research of eurafricans in those areas rather less). Looking back from the present, the benefits of having loyal eurafricans around stand out. But: would intermixing in the purely recruiting rather than mixed-race-breeding sense also do, from the contemporary perspective? I think I'm at least a plot point or two away from being able to properly resolve this one.

And even with this, I don't see Courland as a power, truly. Just the leaders of commerce within a narrow niche where others do not choose to compete (because there is so much profit to be made just gathering spices or slaves from easily-accessible coasts the world over). A niche with enough profit to hold influence in Europe, because commerce. More interestingly, a niche with the potential to influence Africa.
This chapter is actually one of my favourites so far, mostly because it's a full chapter of reading Martin's thought process and i find it highly amusing that we've the same kind of autist-like thinking.
Thank you!
Writer-me had the challenge of cramming quite a lot in, which in the end was made easier by putting the important bits in the words of Martin and Tevel. Two elements I'd intended to resolve in this chapter will resolve later, because the Tevel-Martin exchange felt like a deserving place to end things this time around. The lesson I'm slowly learning, over 60 chapters in, is that events are easy to write, even if they take time. Ideas are harder.

What's good is that Martin is easier to write than most characters, no matter what thoughts get jammed in. Write a sentence, go back and shorten it into three clipped sentences instead, wash, rinse, repeat. It emphasizes his directness.

This line is priceless from Tevel.
=)
It helps to have the perspective of someone who can do big things, but does them with simple motivations, when looking at someone else's grand vision for even bigger things, with bigger reasons and means. Tevel is this story's great humanist.

65. Fernau, 1656.
Martin's New(er) Desk

Two projects of wood construction were happening at once, one inside the other. The first section of the Mangrove Hall had a good roof over it now, enough to reliably keep the rain off. The dry season was over, keeping the rain off was a priority. The hall was essentially the largest possible open space over which they could make a roof. That roof was a huge A-frame, tall in the hope that hot air might escape up high and leave the ground level cool. Increasingly, Fernau was raising all its roofs this way. Underneath them was every craft the people could not do in the rain, until each craft had its own purpose-built building.

Here, it was woodwork above, woodwork below. The hall functioned as its own mill to prepare and dry the lumber to be added to the next street of the hall after. And never keen to be far from work, Martin's desk was also being re-made here. Flight across the Baltic and then continued travel across the North Atlantic wasn't kind to the last iteration of desk. He had personally joined in its disassembly for the journey, which it took in the port hull of Courland's Ark. His father's desk had occupied the starboard hull, equally deconstructed, also by Martin.

The ebony-over-rosewood desktop was scratched and dented. Two of the pinewood drawers were beyond saving. The remaining ones were the last things made of wood from Semigallia (all the nails were surely made in Courland), and had to be preserved. So while work with mangrove wood happened all around, Martin set to working another wood retrieved on the same voyage. He was aided by Miguel, a part-Portuguese, part-Biafada man they'd originally recruited in Cacheu as a translator and language teacher.

"They call it assi. Our timber-voyagers heard they use it for drums, and other music uses. It's hard."

"The grain is tricky, lord. I'll need practice before I can get it thin but broad like the ebony and rosewood of the desktop. If I manage that, I'll make this island's first musical instruments myself with whatever's left."

"Please do! Imagine Fernau attracting Europe's finest musicians with the resonance of its wonderful wood."

"My avô - grandfather -had a viola de mão from Portugal. He taught me some. He had friends who just banged pieces of wood together. Each piece was just long enough to bang a different note you could just hear before it disappeared like a click. This assi wood feels like that."

"How long ago was that?"

"Twenty years? Sound sticks with me. It's why you took me on."

"Is the viola de mão still with your family in Cacheu?"

"No. I last saw my father twelve years go. Maybe thirteen."

They made the drawers first. Then the new top, which came out between pink and beige, lovely atop the layers of ebony and rosewood. Then Miguel set to recreating his childhood memory, while Martin set to writing.

- - -

Father, I send this message to await you at Bandschul. Shortly before we heard of your peace meeting at Saint Helena, Fernau sent three ships to help complete a VOC spice expedition that had lost too many ships before leaving the Atlantic. Fernau is a place of construction above all else just now. We make every effort to raise roofs to keep the rain off our work. We have doubled Tevel's efforts to have men explore and map nearby rivers. I wish to have trading posts in every worthwhile river, where local peoples will be glad to meet our traders at expected times. I hope you are extending our diplomatic reach in Europe. I try to do the same in Guinea and Loango. Should we not find you sooner in Fernau, I will meet you in Saint Helena.

-

Marie, I write you this knowing I never asked whether you read or write. Fernau is a place of many languages already - there is Portuguese, Mandinka, German and Dutch, Latvian, and languages that different people have different names for, even though they understand each other most of the time. I am trying to make this place a place of hospitality as was your father's house. Perhaps one day we can welcome you both here.

-

Fernau offers to bring traders to this site every month, two days after the moon is fullest. We can build a place of trade there together. We can agree to the rules of trade in that place. We will buy and sell. We will hear what you wish us to bring the next month. We will tell you what we wish you to bring the next month. And we will prosper.

-

I miss you, sister. Our little siblings may miss you and mother in more obvious ways, but I miss you too. I hope you return here and don't end up staying in Germany, already married to this or that count.

-MARTIN-

- - -

Martin set his plume aside and stoppered his ink bottle. He looked at the letters drying in front of him. He hadn't realized it before, but his own written words confirmed it: his father, sister, and mother were the ones who were away in his mind. He had been on this island for mere months. He had lived years in Courland. But he already didn't see going to Europe as returning. Returning was his family coming here.

Home had become here. He couldn't place why, or when that had changed for him.

Maybe they could hire craftsmen from friendly kingdoms on the continent to expedite the building process. I can't imagine the rainy season being pleasant camping it out.

I assume they are building everything but priority goes to the things needed to build more of everything: carpenters, smithies, mason workshops. The island is made of basalt which is pretty good for cobblestones and building blocks.

Then to make importing what they can't make easier: docks, shipyards, warehouses etc, a proper port. Some roads with the plentiful local basalt cobblestones. All this before the existing fleet starts to accumulate too much wear and tear.

Then you use that basalt to fortify the living shit out of all crucial infrastructure so no Swedes can just waltz in again, even if they happen to defeat the fleet. And this time there are no noble vassals to sabotage defense spendings.

Last edited:
Maybe they could hire craftsmen from friendly kingdoms on the continent to expedite the building process. I can't imagine the rainy season being pleasant camping it out.
In all honesty, they're already past camping it out, at least in the sense of living in tents at their settlement. But the living is still much more communal, even if it has increasing comfort. A person or family could choose to sleep under a tent if they wanted privacy. But there's more comfort (of most kinds) to be had by sleeping under the biggest and best roof, even if more people are under it.

And "craftsmen" - it feels cold to say this, but that's an overpay in an economy that buys and sells slaves. But I thank you for saying it, because you've clarified my next chapter for me. A roof can be raised by a few people experienced in raising roofs leading a throng of inexperienced help.

Which brings me to Tirion's astuteness:
I assume they are building everything but priority goes to the things needed to build more of everything: carpenters, smithies, mason workshops.
Yes. Exactly why they put a roof up, and start milling wood for the next bit of roofing under that just-built roof. I haven't played SimCity in too long, but it feels like zooming in on two pixels to see what's happening there.
The specific prioritizing of what to build first isn't something I'd thought to focus on, but I see there's some value in at least giving it some mention, so I'll add that to the next chapter as well.

The best part:
The island is made of basalt which is pretty good for cobblestones and building blocks.
Very much yes. A very old volcano is good for stone. I'd considered mention of foundations and floors in this chapter, but maybe this was just our wood chapter.

Then you use that basalt to fortify the living shit out of all crucial infrastructure so no Swedes can just waltz in again, even if they happen to defeat the fleet. And this time there are no noble vassals to sabotage defense spendings.
To where should Martin send your offer of employment?

To where should Martin send your offer of employment?
Prague (current) or the sadly tripartite Hungary (birth). Neither are particularly happy places in the time period so I'd jump at the opportunity, and as an engineer might do a lot of good. Fun fact: the former actually had a university at the time (though it wasn't at its highest point, but that just means a lot of learned people eager to emigrate somewhere religiously tolerant). The latter was a war-torn wasteland even by contemporary standards, exporting free range grey cow and not producing much else- anyone from there wouldn't have much to add to Fernau.

Last edited:
Martin set his plume aside and stoppered his ink bottle. He looked at the letters drying in front of him. He hadn't realized it before, but his own written words confirmed it: his father, sister, and mother were the ones who were away in his mind. He had been on this island for mere months. He had lived years in Courland. But he already didn't see going to Europe as returning. Returning was his family coming here.

Home had become here. He couldn't place why, or when that had changed for him.

I love Martin's vision of the futire, and I look forward to the conflict which emerges when his vision and Jakob's vision come face-to-face -- particularly regaring the plans Jakob is making for Martin's immediate future and his marriage. But with Martin's chapters in particular one gets a sense of the vastness of the possible futures. Obviously all the possible things won't happen, but it is exciting to see which ones will.

66. Fernau, summer 1656.
Latvian for Sunny

Staying put in Fernau didn't mean Martin didn't have diplomacy to participate in. The immigrants were taking up more space in the north of the island and being increasingly active in diverse things the indigenous peoples of the island did not understand. The colonists called the people the Becho, because they called themselves the Bechoboche and most Europeans ended up screwing up the latter syllables, while getting the first two correct. To the few that cared to understand, Njikobiya and others clarified that there were at least four different groups of people who spoke a little differently in each corner of the island.

To most, it was still the Becho they were dealing with, unless someone went halfway up Bisila to Rohia, which might put them in touch with the Beso instead. Almost no Europeans ventured far enough to meet the Bacho. Extending the pattern, parents were starting to tell children mythical stories about a far away people from the rainy coast called the Buchu and and all the shenanigans they got up to.

A group of Becho visitors had come, apparently frustrated. Martin, having nothing more important to do than make decisions and take lessons, personally took the Becho group for a tour. He fumbled with words (and Joachim alternately fumbled and succeeded at miming things), but managed to give the Becho a thorough tour of what they were trying to make...at the settlement. He remembered his earlier wish to find names for places. The island was Fernau. The settlement couldn't be Fernau as well. He turned to the Becho.

"What is name here?" No amount of miming was going to help get that message across. "Njikobiya?"

After some quick exchanges, Njikobiya shrugged. "This is the place of the pale people, or white people."

"No. How is place of pale people different?"

The visitors looked to the sky above, which was mostly cloudless, and then to the sky to the south of the mountain, where it was likely raining.
"Hè itòhí."

"It is... itohi?"

Njikobiya asked a couple quick questions, and received quick answers.

"This is the sunny side of the island. The south is the rainy side. Itohi means sunny."

Itohi lasted about three people before it died as a name for their settlement. Translating it to German wasn't much better - "Sonnig" didn't sound as beautiful as its meaning. Over a lunch with his guests, Martin tried "sunny" in every language spoken by those nearby. The Becho laughed at most, and laughed more the more he tried.

"Ensoleillé." Laughter. "Zonnig!" Uproarious laughter.

"Saulains." The laughter quieted. Martin repeated it to his guests. "Saulains." There was nodding at the sound. The Becho liked the sound of Latvian.

"Hè itòhí is Saulains?"

"It is now."

The settlement had a name. For most of the German speakers, it was already Solenz.

- - -

The people of Saulains busied themselves establishing their industries, and their agriculture. Agriculture was gardening, for the most part. They were learning to love potatoes and yams and the chiles from the Gambia. Rice and millet were slowly winning converts. Joachim claimed that eating guanabana alone was worth seven or eight weeks on a ship.

Construction had moved beyond wood to metal, mud, clay and stone. Before, stone was the foundation for the tall A-frames to be set in. Now, stone was some floors, mixed with clay. Stone was some walls. Stone was gutters. Stone was going to be a church... though maybe that would again be a stone bottom and wooden top. Regular rain meant roofs might be better made of tile or metal before long.

Timber milling was the top priority. Then smithing, for tools and nails especially. Brickmaking and glassworks would come hand-in-hand. No one got cold here, but windows would help keep the insects out.
A foundry would be good to have soon. The shipwrights wouldn't be shipwrights again until a few other industries were reignited in this hot place. Everyone who couldn't yet do their normal profession helped with those of others.

Fernau was three mountains in the ocean. Mountains meant rock. A good location for a quarry wasn't hard to find. People who would choose that work over the other work that also needed doing, though, were hard to find. So, slaves.

Very few slaves were already on Fernau, because Fernau barely had any plantation work. The sugarcane brought by Portugal generations before still grew, half-wild, halfway up the eastern side of the island. Tevel had seen to it being cleaned up and organized, but even now the modest plantation employed under 200 slaves. None were native to Fernau.

None would be this time around, either. Two ships were dispatched north and east, because it made a shorter journey than Loango would have, and because they had bought slaves there before. One went where the mangrove trees had been bought, the other went to the trading posts taken from Sweden. When they returned, roofs were ready at a spot about three miles east of Saulains, and the quarry work began.

Stone would be useful for their port, for fortifications, for foundations, for places of worship and perhaps, one day, a road. But the first quarried stone was carted over to Mangrove Hall to serve as its floor.

- - -

The same Mennonites who had shown such leadership in putting roofs up before the settlement had its name had done the same at the quarry. They stood on the quarry's stone in front of Martin and made him a proposal: they wished to live among their own, while still serving the larger community. Might they be permitted and equipped to try the farming that Martin and Tevel had proposed up where the three mountains met? Martin agreed. Ninety-eight people were sailed down the west coast of Fernau, to a bay with white sand that some thought offered the easiest access to the "saddle" of the island. They had tools, fruit trees, goats and chickens, and an abundance of rice and millet in addition to the corn they thought might grow better higher up.

Tevel and Liba were personally there to bid them farewell in that bay. Liba noted that where they had cleared other trees away to plant cinchona, years before, that cinchona was now thriving. Liba encouraged them to take some seedlings of those as well.

"My friends, should you ever get sick up there, you should know that a tea made from the bark of this tree has helped at least one Kettler return from death's door."

"Governess, Governor. We'll remember. And we'll come down to Liba's Bay for it if needed."

Tevel happily added his wife's name to the map of Fernau. And he added Sattel too, for the saddle of the island where this new farm would be.

They stayed anchored in the bay overnight and returned to Saulains the next morning, with fresh sketches of where docks might be to ship the Mennonites' grain.

- - -

Charlotte Sophia was lying on the cold stone floor of Mangrove Hall.

"I miss rugs."

Joachim scoffed at his sister. "But it's never cold here."

"So?"

"So you don't need them. Rugs are for making cold floors not... make you cold too."

"This does feel nice. Not cold."

"Cool. This could be the one place that can feel cool in Saulains."

"But I feel hot."

Joachim reached to grab his little sister's hand. Then he touched her face. She was hot. "MARTIN!"

The hall was the easiest place on the island to be heard be at least 30 people at once. Martin had more distance to cover to reach his siblings than others did. Two men had so gently picked her up by the time he reached her.

Joachim: "She's so hot, Martin. It's like the stories mama told of when I was a baby."

When Joachim was a baby, all the dangers and most fevers came from familiar things. Fernau had monkeys, fireflies, and a thousand plants no European had a word for yet.

"What was my medicine, Martin?"

"Tea." Martin was reciting as though repeating after a teacher. "Boiling water. Willow bark. Cinchona because we had it. Honey for taste."

"We don't have willow, do we?"

"No."

- - -

Tevel and Liba found a sick little girl, and a growing number of sick adults, too. The cinchona in Saulains' garden was already half-stripped. When they told Martin that Fernau had more of it, down the coast, two ships, one of them Courland's Ark, were dispatched to collect some, with Liba on board.

Courland's Ark returned two days later, those aboard the second ship stayed behind to rip out anything competing with the cinchona for sunlight and water on the plot by Liba's bay.

When they returned to Saulains, Charlotte was already dead. She was weeks away from her fifth birthday.

Last edited:
RIP Charlotte Sophia. Children, even those of nobles, were a lot more likely to die in that age of primitive medicine than today everywhere, but they're going to notice Africa is a different level, even with all their advances. Tevel already experienced it as I recall.

This might serve as a wake up call, they need to invest more in healthcare to make this work. Hospitals and research patronised by the Duke, inviting foreign scholars with the promise of money and a very open minded work environment sounds like reasonable long term policies.

Last edited:
Mosquito nets will be useful.
As would industrial quantities of DEET and modern medicine. Alas. Though mosquito nets were known in southeast Europe well over a millennium before this, the things never managed to enter common usage across the continent. I found references to mosquito curtains in India and Japan. It's more likely a good idea invented independently in a few places than something invented once and propagated elsewhere.

Necessity is the mother of... lots of things. Not only invention, but inquiry, research... we'll see which child of necessity we get here.

Then cinchona bark:
The biggest butterfly.
The tweak without which this story would be over within another half-decade.

Your alternate-alternate history ends like this:

"The Kettlers' Guinean folly ended in fever and shame with the death of their last three children and Jakob, all within the same month. Only Louise Charlotte survived, returning to Europe and see her brother inherit Courland and uneasily share the Baltic with Sweden, ever vigilant against Russian and Lithuanian aggression, or Danish hope."

Tevel already experienced it as I recall.
An earlier wave of illness drove the first colonists to seek comfort in cooler temperatures at altitude: Chapter 27.

This might serve as a wake up call, they need to invest more in healthcare to make this work. Hospitals and research patronised by the Duke, inviting foreign scholars with the promise of money and a very open minded work environment sounds like reasonable long term policies.
Yes... but. As we started to see with the quarry slaves in this episode, investing in this removes expertise you might invest in that. Eventually, if you can't plug the last gap with unskilled labour, the gap remains. Creating the world's foremost medical facility in Saulains would surely cost a lot of expertise elsewhere, and won't happen.

But now that some such expertise is pressing, what will be the compromises made in an industrious and naive colony?

- - -

A little later in the day, editing to add my usual "next-day thoughts."

I'd wanted to explore at least some of the diversity within early Protestantism for a while. In Fernau, I'm hoping some of the diversity will help ground some different viewpoints on fate, right, and eventually slavery or race. The multi-faith, multi-cultural immigrant group offers potential for subtle disagreement I hope I'll be able to represent reasonably.

The next chapter will take a narrow start at diving into that.

I've probably been killing people off too slowly, or giving the appearance of killing people off too slowly by keeping death offstage where it occurred. Killing off a Kettler Kid™️ might have a touch more shock value as a result, even if I've barely mentioned Charlotte narratively. I guess I didn't have the heart to kill off Joachim, and I haven't laid enough alternate leading character groundwork to kill off Martin.

Next chapter:
  • Election
Upcoming:
  • Saint Helena
  • River quest
  • Hanse
  • College

Last edited:
67. Fernau, summer 1656.
Election and Grace

[This chapter owes a debt to my "theology editor" - thanks!]

Martin was personally carrying his sister's shrouded body up the mountain toward Rohia. Other dead of the colony had been buried nearer the settlement - Saulains - more out of convenience to the living. Rohia was not an easy place to reach - those inclined to the tricky maths estimated it was nearly a mile above the ocean, while the peak of Bisila was nearly twice as high. Further south, out of sight, the island's other two mountains both split the difference, higher than Rohia was up Bisila's flank, but with peaks or calderas nowhere near as tall as Bisila's. Again, Martin thought everything here needs a name. Though he had lately sought whatever names places might have had already, in his mind one of these mountains should bear his sister's name.

So, Charlotte's Peak. That would be the southwestern one - of the two southern peaks, the first one Charlotte would have laid eyes on as they first sailed toward this island. In his racing thoughts, the southeastern one was immediately Christina's Peak, for his other lost sister, dead in Courland before Charlotte was even born. Racing thoughts continued - he hoped his littlest living sister, three-year-old Maria, wasn't missing him too much down the mountain at Saulains. He hoped his oldest sister Elisabeth, had enjoyed her tenth birthday wherever she was in Europe with their parents. He hoped she wasn't yet engaged. He hoped he wasn't yet engaged. He was still only 14.

The next stretch of the path up the mountain was harder, quieting his thoughts a little. Newer arrivals at Fernau marvelled that their predecessors went so high up the mountain to make their place of rest and recovery. The colony had consequently adopted the habit of sending - and certainly helping - people up the mountain when they started feeling the least bit ill. Fully healthy, you would use nearly all of a day's light to climb. Now, there were huts to sleep at and divide the climb over two days. Charlotte had fallen too ill, too fast, to be helped up the mountain.

However tired he was, Martin grimly considered that her little body would not have demanded so much effort to carry up the mountain in life. He continued climbing. Others climbed with him. Some came to protect or help him, or keep him company, as he was the heir. Some came to aid others to Rohia, in the hope the mountain air would aid their recovery. Some came without voicing reasons. The climb was just challenging enough, the destination just rewarding enough, to be thought of by some as Fernau's pilgrimage.

On any pilgrimage, matters of faith come up.

- - -

"Explain to me again why my sister might not be saved."

"Our knowledge is imperfect, Martin. God's is perfect. We are all his creations, all set us all on paths he chose for us."

"She walked her path with goodness. Surely grace, too."

"Grace is a gift from God. That's from Ephesians... somewhere. Goodness would be a gift from God too."

"Whether or not it's also in Ephesians." Martin's churning thoughts wanted to lash out, but at what, he couldn't tell.

-

"Is it God's election that set my sister on her path? God's election that imbued her with grace? With faith? God's election that she should be saved?"

"Yes."

"And all this election before her first step on that path?"

"Yes." A pause. "Martin, you knew all this before your sister was even born."

"Because of other election, only for my path?"

"Do not be bitter, Martin. Mourn, honour your sister and honour God for the grace she had. And still has now."

-

"Tell me again about Ephesians."

"Paul tells the Ephesians that anyone can be saved through God. And it is God's gift to them that leads them to salvation. Not any act of their own."

"But they should still do... good acts."

"Yes. They do good acts because of the grace given to them by God."

"And if they are saved, it is because of that grace, not because of the goodness of their acts."

"Their good acts are a consequence of grace. Their salvation is a consequence of grace."

"I want my acts themselves to be consequential."

"They are, Martin. They are evidence of God's grace in you."

Martin was silent at that, at first. Being his father's son, he was used to seeing good acts leading to colonies, navies, learning, discovery, and the peaceful shared endeavours of people of various origins and faiths. He was used to good acts empowering more good acts until good acts had spread from the Baltic to Flekkerøy, the Gambia, Tobago, Saint Helena, Fernau and the Kingdom of Loango. His life had been spend witnessing and influencing good acts triggering each other from person to person, across sea and land, a current of his existence right up to him carrying his sister's lifeless body up a mountain farther from home than his entire family tree before his father had ever thought to travel.

"I... think I believe good acts matter more than that. Whatever grace God has imbued in me... my choices matter because they are mine. My acts matter because they are mine. Carrying my sister up this hot, damp mountain matters because it is good. God may save me or not. I don't think I can believe that all the grace for all my good acts was there at the start. I'm not playing a part like in a theatre. My sister wasn't. She was more alive than that, and now she isn't."

"You are not alone to think such things, Martin. You might write to your father to ask him to bring you the writings of some who've thought hard about this."

"Arminius?"

"I was thinking of Pelagius, but Arminius would also serve."

- - -

Rohia was mostly tucked in between the steadily-rising flank of Bisila and a minor peak that rose perhaps 100 to 200 feet out of the mountain's flank, depending on the angle from which you viewed it. The peak helped people find Rohia. It also offered the most complete view of the northern quarter of the island one could have without climbing rather higher up Bisila.

The place was a somewhat wild garden, with every medicinal plant and allegedly-medicinal plant their ships had brought from anywhere they'd sailed to: cinchona, big man, and so many fruit trees or bushes. Yams and potatoes grew here, corn and millet there. And flowers. Martin wanted places to have names, but he didn't think there could possibly be enough names for all the kinds of flowers.

It was an easy thing to find flowers for his sister's grave. But they buried her where the flowers were, rather than culling flowers to move them to her. There had already been enough loss of life.

- - -

There, up the mountain, people rested. Some grieved, some healed, some tended to others. Tevel ben Elisha cared for his wife. Martin cared for anyone who needed it. Others who had never come so high on this island - or perhaps anywhere - felt they were catching their breath for the better part of a night and day after arriving.

There was prayer. There was hope. There was still death, as the mountain didn't heal everything.

Amidst it all, Martin wondered in how many ways his faith might have stepped away from that of his parents.

68. Saint Helena, 1656.
The Saint Helena Longhouse - parts 1 and 3

The messages from Saint Helena started in early June.

"I do not know whether I'm hosting a meal like a glorified officers' mess or a peace conference soirée for exceedingly wealthy merchants if not nobles. We'll do what we can, it's what we always do. We will need the help of Fernau and Gambia. We've written to Gambia asking for millet and citrus. From Fernau, please send two ships full of lumber. And strong slaves for quarry work. We have no single building in which we might seat 50 people to eat together, and shall need one quickly...."

They were already balancing reporting on progress and worry by July:

"Thank you for the slaves. They've greatly improved the staircase we've set into the rocky walls of our main valley. A short walk from the top of that staircase, the foundation and walls of our hall are now set. You may know the Portuguese described this island as much greener when they found it. You know we've dealt with the dogs problem they left behind, but over a century of goats running rampant ripped out greenery right down to tree roots - so good soil has washed away. We believe we'll keep the better slaves busy afterward with more tree-planting, and further quarrying and wall-making to help the soils replenish. We may be the colony that didn't get one of your esteemed mother's gardens, but our isolation makes us all conscious of the need for gardening here.

I've placed a Basque man left here by some Portuguese ship, Itzal by name, in charge of our menus. He was apparently a ship's cook before, and he's the island's best cook now. No sailor drinking in our seaside tavern ever complains about their food. He asks for dairy cattle and goats - they must have their milk, and they must be milked on their journey here to keep them with milk for us. We simply need more milk, cream, butter, and yoghurt. If the milk gathered aboard ships can be turned to cheese en route, so much the better. Failing that, distill it. These are still sailors and any alcohol will be we welcome.

Itzal also requests more berries - please send entire bushes already growing fruit! We have citrus on the island, but the fruit is generally not sweet. Same with our raspberries. Bilberries and bananas and olives thrive, if you put them in the right places. It seems bananas don't like our wind. Olives fare well enough where other trees fail. Mynah birds damage our fruit trees, but eat flies that trouble our fruit trees more than the birds do, so on balance they're probably helpful.

Tobago is sending us more ducks. Our flocks will be too depleted by this meal. More chickens! Egg-laying hens and birds for meat. Our habit of buying any living spice plants - always through shady deals - is paying off or us with a diversity of flavours we can add to things. We can grow any vegetable or herb Europe can - please send herbs of every kind. If they're unfamiliar to us, send someone who understands them too! We have a young brother and sister from India who some ship was bringing to Europe to teach them their people's herbs and simpler foods. But he fell too sick on the journey, and both he and the herbs stayed here. We got coffee trees and a grain called teff from other ships, the same way, earlier. The teff fares better than wheat here, even if the animals have more the taste for it than the people. I personally find it makes a fine porridge for the morning. Coffee fruit tastes utterly ghastly, but the medicinal value has won over many of us. Some captains who've traded at Mocha, Tunis, or Constantinople tell us we're preparing it well enough. A tiny bit seems to impart some welcome dark flavour to a stew.

Apologies if I ramble, even in writing. I feel this has been a week of half-conversation after half-conversation, adjusting plans as plans progress. After September, things will surely calm again. Perhaps I will come visit Fernau again! Surely it has changed so much since you've brought so many new people.

Another message was explicitly sent to for Tevel's eyes only:

More pretty girls for the whorehouse, please! At least twenty. Have lost three from circulation to sailors' diseases. Lost another couple to marriage. More of those blue-eyed ones if possible. Baltic men feel a little more at home with blue eyes, you know? Dutchmen, too, I suppose. I know you don't eat pigs, Tevel. You'll learn to love our fish, I'm sure.

- - -

Messages and foodstuffs and labour came from Tobago, Fernau, and the forts taken from Sweden. The Gambia sent all that plus correspondence relayed from Lisbon, Amsterdam, Edinburgh, Copenhagen and wherever Jakob was at any given time. Saint Helena got its blue-eyed black girls, their flavouring herbs, dairy cattle and goats, and instructions.

Saint Helena did its best to prepare its welcome. Bechler's enterprise extended not only to the crazy staircase carved into the western side of the valley of their first settlement - seven hundred steps long - but also to a pier reaching north into the ocean. The stairs seemed to all the stranger venture, but it was the more successful. Their narrow valley may have been a thin strip of the only green land reaching down and out to the ocean across the island's otherwise barren, rocky edge; but it was tricky to safely go beyond the valley to the higher land beside the valley, or the greener land deeper into the island. The mad stairs made it easier for the Saints - as they were starting to call themselves - to reach more of their island.

Bechler was going to host this diplomacy on the high bluff - cliff? plateau? - reached by his staircase. The first builders and building materials had to get up there without the stairs, later ones benefited from the roughly-hewn stairs, the last ones had beautifully even, flat stairs to walk upon. It was, in some ways, Saint Helena's welcome mat. Martin had shared in writing his wish for places to have names on the colonial map. Saint Helena's nearly four hundred inhabitants, by the end of summer, had two little neighbourhoods with simple names: Upstairs and Downstairs. Some few Saints, generally those more interested in farming (or solitude) grew things further inland. Most people lived Downstairs. Most people worked Upstairs. And the name for the staircase required no thought at all: Jakob's Ladder.

- - -

A week before the Duke was to arrive - for the first time ever! - it was time to practice. 80 islanders were directly involved in cooking, serving, cleaning or otherwise helping out.
80 other islanders at a time were invited to either a breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Most would climb Jakob's Ladder from Downstairs, admire the view, then enter the great longhouse. The longhouse was adapted from Fernau's, but using stone for more of its height and timber from Fernau only for its tall, pointed roof. The walls weren't quite parallel, widening toward the seaward end of the building. The peak of the roof was also correspondingly higher at the seaward end, like a peculiarly straight drinking horn intent on scooping up the seemingly infinite waters of the South Atlantic.

Around the longhouse, flagstones forming a rough patio. Uneven in shape, but happily flat. A wall or railing before the bluff would be a good idea, but one that would have to be executed later. There had been too little time for too few people who had so much to do already. Other (new, simple) buildings nearby offered places to sleep for overnight visitors. Most had only hammocks or mats - just nice enough to keep a sailor from walking down seven hundred stairs to return to his ship. The nicest of these, with proper beds, was intended for the prettiest and most charming of those rare blue-eyed girls shipped up from the Guinea coast west of Fernau. There could be sleep in those beds, while the Duke was around. After, sleep would hardly seem worth the price.

But on this day, when the Saints entered the building, depending on the time of day, they saw one of four signs:

~~

BREAKFAST

Porridge of oats and teff
Yoghurt with berries, sweetened with sugarcane
Salted chicken eggs

~~

LUNCH

Oat bread with olive oil
Dried salted pork
Saint Helena pepper stew (fish and goat and sweet potato)
Fruit

~~

DINNER

Gambian red pepper rice
Lamb with herbs
Sauerkraut
Tuna and potato cakes
Coffee
Banana cake
Spirits with herbs

~~
DINNER

Tuna with herbs
Millet with chiles, squash and pineapple
Dark Duck broth with potatoes
Oat bread with pear preserves
Spirits with herbs

It didn't much matter which meal one was invited to: the Saints enjoyed the finest meal they'd ever eaten on the island. If anything wasn't in order, well, that's what this practice service was for, anyway. It had a way of motivating the Saints, in a way. This was a fine reward for their labours, a fine one indeed.

When their Duke sailed in, and the Dutch, Danish, British and Portuguese ships came, the island was alive with optimism and effort. Positivity was contagious.

-

When their Duke sailed out, days after the Dutch, Danish, British and Portuguese ships had left, the optimism and effort remained.

And the Saints decided they'd rather like to head Upstairs for such fine communal meals again, both as a reward for their labour and as labour for their reward. When their island had visitors with time and money (and often lust), Saint Helena would send them Upstairs and fulfill its mandate as a place of welcome, trade, and profit for ships and those who sail them. But whether they had visitors or not, the Saint Helena Longhouse served fine meals and memories to the island's own every week thereafter.

Good to see them take care of the island. Did they hunt the wild goats to extinction or why are they importing new ones rather than capturing the existing population?

Weren't those blue eyed black people proof of Tevel's precious diaspora? Quite mercenary of him to sell them into sex slavery.

First up, today's a fateful day. When I played my daily game of "Worldle" I was immediately faced with this map. My generally useless superpower in life is a frighteningly good memory for maps, which is what sees me play this game. Today, though, no superpower was needed: the island at left is our Fernau. This timeline has had no particular reason to give any attention the the mainland part of Equatorial Guinea (the former "Rio Muni"). Perhaps we never will, if only because today's OTL borders are screamingly arbitrary.

In any case, as I'm writing a timeline about a place few people ever think of, this feels like the digital hand of fate giving me a pat on the back.

worldle.jpg

On to real matters.

These last two entries were dives down rabbit holes. I'll tap into Martin's faith again - a timeline with against-the-grain freedom of religion feels like it has to. So I needed to learn about the variations between early protestant theologies. Short version: early Protestant theologies are bleak. Calvinism, in that era, at least, read like a creed for tax collectors, patent lawyers, and rules-based process followers. For Protestantism to have fared so well against the relative flexibility of Catholicism (partly through the corruption and profit-taking Luther attacked), the early theologians had to be outstanding at marketing.

Anyway. I now have enough grounding for future explorations of Martin's faith, and the colonies' faith.

Good to see them take care of the island. Did they hunt the wild goats to extinction or why are they importing new ones rather than capturing the existing population?

I modelled the lion's share of Saint Helena's development on the OTL development. I have not much changed the circumstances of the island overall, save to have it visited by more ships from more nations more often and earlier. The population is also already rather higher than OTL. All told, a fair bit more exposure to opportunity and more seizing of opportunity.

Downstairs is OTL Jamestown, Upstairs is Ladder Hill (which I believe still counts as Jamestown, borders-wise, OTL).

Goats OTL were not hunted to extinction, but pared back in numbers until only ones that were domesticated survived. They are absolutely pointed to as the leading cause of deforestation and soil loss on the island. They were meat for poor islanders OTL. ATL's islanders eat better, once a week. The entire community has an interest in keeping each other's dairy goats productive and healthy this way. But still, goats can't run free if you want to help your soil along. ATL Saints would by now have fully domesticated any remaining goats, as they had dogs.

Weren't those blue eyed black people proof of Tevel's precious diaspora? Quite mercenary of him to sell them into sex slavery.
Tevel's diaspora was found on the Loango coast: Gabon through Congo (Brazzaville) today, which is south/southeast of Fernau. Re-reading, I see I edited out the location clue I dropped for the source of the desired slaves. So be it - I'll make a note to clarify that in another entry. For now, I'll just be clear Tevel's mixed-race Jews in Loango aren't the same people.

I thank those who commented long ago for prompting me to research Saint Helena food and agriculture. Without that, the throwaway comment in the Economic Historian blog would not have turned into this. You now have the origin of the oldest continually operating restaurant in the ATL Southern Hemisphere: the Saint Helena Longhouse.

And before anyone calls me on the title, yes, "parts 1 and 3" is quite deliberate. This wasn't a diplomacy story, so part 2 had no place here. Guess that makes it clear what chapter is next.

I thank those who commented long ago for prompting me to research Saint Helena food and agriculture. Without that, the throwaway comment in the Economic Historian blog would not have turned into this. You now have the origin of the oldest continually operating restaurant in the ATL Southern Hemisphere: the Saint Helena Longhouse.

Yes, I thought the menu sounded delicious, especially the lamb, tuna, and duck! I remembered asking about the restaurant so it was fun to see it in the chapter.

Honestly I'd expect a lot more fish and seafood in their diet, at least long term as population grows. The islands are pretty small and arable land is in demand for cash crops and cereals, it's not likely that big fields for grazing are in the long term zoning plan.

Honestly I'd expect a lot more fish and seafood in their diet, at least long term as population grows. The islands are pretty small and arable land is in demand for cash crops and cereals, it's not likely that big fields for grazing are in the long term zoning plan.
You are absolutely correct. Islanders and sailors eat a lot of seafood (“tuna and potato cakes” is current food on Saint Helena).

But then, consider who is being hosted for this dinner: broadly, sailors. Their best meals for weeks will have been fish. To make Saint Helena the best possible place of welcome for people who have been at seas for weeks, make them a meal of what they couldn’t have at sea. That can be achieved with obvious things like lamb and pork, and subtler things like fresh herbs.

This menu would not be sustainable for exactly the reasons you suggest. The Saints are pulling out all the stops here.

A menu with prices would see the lamb and pork and goat become the ultra-expensive items, while organic and sustainably caught tuna would be the relatively cheap staple.

And: you have to teach Europeans to love potatoes. More on that in part 2.

Last edited:
Our habit of buying any living spice plants - always through shady deals - is paying off or us with a diversity of flavours we can add to things.
Perhaps African spices will find its way to Europe too, &/or growing Asian spices on suitable lands on the continent.
The Gambia sent all that plus correspondence relayed from Lisbon, Amsterdam, Edinburgh, Copenhagen and wherever Jakob was at any given time.
At this rate they might as well include couriers on their list of trade.

I see Saint Elena is going for paradise after gloomy weeks on the sea. Are they going to expend their sex trade to other continents?