WI: United UDN-PSD-PL ticket in the 1950 Brazilian election?

In 1950, there were proposals that the three largest anti-Vargas parties (UDN, PSD and PL) unite and form a joint ticket in order to defeat Getúlio Vargas in his 1950 bid.
IOTL, these negotiations fell apart and Vargas handily won the 1950 election, with the UDN and PSD launching their own candidates, splitting the anti-Vargas vote.
WI for some reason the negotiations succeeded?
There were many proposals of who would be the presidential candidate, like Milton Campos (UDN), Canrobert Pereira da Costa (at the time unaffiliated), Afonso Pena Júnior (PSD), Osvaldo Aranha (PSD), Artur Bernardes (PSD), Nereu Ramos (PSD) and Otávio Mangabeira (UDN)

In 1950, there were proposals that the three largest anti-Vargas parties (UDN, PSD and PL) unite and form a joint ticket in order to defeat Getúlio Vargas in his 1950 bid.
IOTL, these negotiations fell apart and Vargas handily won the 1950 election, with the UDN and PSD launching their own candidates, splitting the anti-Vargas vote.
WI for some reason the negotiations succeeded?
There were many proposals of who would be the presidential candidate, like Milton Campos (UDN), Canrobert Pereira da Costa (at the time unaffiliated), Afonso Pena Júnior (PSD), Osvaldo Aranha (PSD), Artur Bernardes (PSD), Nereu Ramos (PSD) and Otávio Mangabeira (UDN)
Caveat: I'm not very knowledgeable on regional politics of the time, so I might be overvaluing some and undervaluing others here.

Osvaldo Aranha is the biggest name here. Bernardes... it would have been 24 years since he was president, people may give him a pass(but I wouldn't bet on him too hard). Canrobert, if he is the General Canrobert I'm thinking of, would have brought the support of much of the Army. Ramos and Mangabeira had powerful regional support, IIRC, while Campos, IMO, would be too junior for this one.

If it were up to me, I'd put forward an Aranha/Canrobert ticket, or a Bernardes/Mangabeira one. The PSD's political machine in rural Brazil would be a formidable foil to Vargas here, and it's quite possible the united ticket wins(UDN couldn't win it alone, their electoral base isn't that big).

Caveat: I'm not very knowledgeable on regional politics of the time, so I might be overvaluing some and undervaluing others here.

Osvaldo Aranha is the biggest name here. Bernardes... it would have been 24 years since he was president, people may give him a pass(but I wouldn't bet on him too hard). Canrobert, if he is the General Canrobert I'm thinking of, would have brought the support of much of the Army. Ramos and Mangabeira had powerful regional support, IIRC, while Campos, IMO, would be too junior for this one.

If it were up to me, I'd put forward an Aranha/Canrobert ticket, or a Bernardes/Mangabeira one. The PSD's political machine in rural Brazil would be a formidable foil to Vargas here, and it's quite possible the united ticket wins(UDN couldn't win it alone, their electoral base isn't that big).
Thank you! I agree with you, an Aranha / Canrobert ticket would have a lot of strength against Getúlio Vargas, although if I'm not wrong Bernardes wasn't that popular of a president (many revolts of the Tenentismo movement broke out during his tenure) so maybe he wouldn't be the presidential candidate

Thank you! I agree with you, an Aranha / Canrobert ticket would have a lot of strength against Getúlio Vargas, although if I'm not wrong Bernardes wasn't that popular of a president (many revolts of the Tenentismo movement broke out during his tenure) so maybe he wouldn't be the presidential candidate
Agreed about Bernardes, but he still had a lot of influence in Minas Gerais politics, AFAIK.