To Regain Your Lost Shadows: A Better U.S. Response To Holocaust Refugees

Introduction - Freak Accident (1935)
This is officially my first attempt at an alternate history (which I have been thinking about for quite a long time); if there’s anything I might need help with (especially with historical accuracy), feel free to collaborate and assist with editing.

Excerpt from The New York Times:

Breckinridge Long Dies

Ambassador To Italy Dead In Freak Accident

WASHINGTON D.C., June. 1.—(AP)—Breckinridge Long, the American ambassador to Italy, died today in the hospital after falling down a flight of stairs at the American Embassy in Rome yesterday evening.​

Last edited:
Breckinridge Long is someone I have never really heard of I’m curious how this would change things?

Breckinridge Long is someone I have never really heard of I’m curious how this would change things?
It can be hard for me to explain at times, so I’ll give you some sources:

Essentially, he abused his power and ties to FDR to make it difficult for jews fleeing the nazis to find refuge in the United States and ended up causing needless casualties in the holocaust.

Edit: Clarification on what he did:
  • Was a known antisemite with fascist sympathies.
  • Wrote a memo telling the State Department to halt all immigration through any means necessary (Wasn’t put into force, but led to Cordell Hull telling all Department officials to “take additions precaution” and deny a visa if there was any doubt).
  • Convinced FDR to restrict the number of names his Advisory Committee on Political Refugees could submit under the belief that some were communists, security threats, or simply weren’t in “real danger”.
  • His Visa division told consular officials in Europe to deny visas to those with family still in Nazi-occupied territory.
  • Played a part in mandating a Washington, DC-based interdepartmental visa review committee, which made the already complicated visa process even more difficult to get through.
  • Issued instructions to American delegates at the 1943 Bermuda Conference to make sure that relief and rescue efforts in Britain were given more priority than saving Europe’s Jews.
  • Tried to stop intelligence about the Holocaust from reaching the states to avoid pressure on the state department by ordering officials to label them “war rumours”.
  • In 1943, obstructed efforts to set up a separate government agency for aiding refugees by lying about the state Department accepting 580,000 refugees when the real number was much less than half that number.
He was ultimately demoted and resigned in 1944 after folks like Henry Morgenthau Jr. (who had close ties to FDR) exposed his actions and false testimony.

Last edited:
I first became aware of who Breckinridge Long was and his damaging and deplorable actions concerning war refugees fleeing Nazi persecution when watching Ken Burns’ documentary “The U.S. and the Holocaust” in which he was prominently featured. As Wikipedia describes Breckinridge Long…
Wikipedia said:
Ultimately, the effect of the immigration policies as enacted by Long's department was that, during American involvement in the war, ninety percent of the quota places available to immigrants from countries under German and Italian control were never filled. If they had been, an additional 190,000 people could have escaped the atrocities being committed by the Nazis. Rafael Medoff compared Long to Haman (Biblical nemesis of the Jews) due to his efforts to admit the least possible number of war refugees into the United States, a significant portion of whom were Jews.
Aspen Montague, since Breckinridge Long’s horrible OTL legacy happened after he was the U.S, Ambassador to Italy, I hope his death in your ATL will help these estimated 190,000 refugees survive. What a tragic loss of so many who could have been saved.

I first became aware of who Breckinridge Long was and his damaging and deplorable actions concerning war refugees fleeing Nazi persecution when watching Ken Burns’ documentary “The U.S. and the Holocaust” in which he was prominently featured. As Wikipedia describes Breckinridge Long…

Aspen Montague, since Breckinridge Long’s horrible OTL legacy happened after he was the U.S, Ambassador to Italy, I hope his death in your ATL will help these estimated 190,000 refugees survive. What a tragic loss of so many who could have been saved.
Long’s death could mean that, without him ordering the obstruction of refugees and the information about the holocaust through a memo, the Treasury and public would learn about the holocaust earlier; therefore President FDR would face earlier pressure to set up provisions to help refugees, despite fears it would damage the (then-passive) war effort. FDR may have ignored the problem due to held prejudices until the pressure from prominent figures like Henry Morgenthau Jr. to deal with the holocaust started making him look bad to the public; Breckinridge, on the other hand, had it deliberately covered up until folks like Morgenthau Jr. exposed him. Might you (probably) agree with that?

Long’s death could mean that, without him ordering the obstruction of refugees and the information about the holocaust through a memo, the Treasury and public would learn about the holocaust earlier; therefore President FDR would face earlier pressure to set up provisions to help refugees, despite fears it would damage the (then-passive) war effort. FDR may have ignored the problem due to held prejudices until the pressure from prominent figures like Henry Morgenthau Jr. to deal with the holocaust started making him look bad to the public; Breckinridge, on the other hand, had it deliberately covered up until folks like Morgenthau Jr. exposed him. Might you (probably) agree with that?
Yes, I agree with your assessment and look forward to your ATL.

Perhaps FDR allows the Jews in the United States by letting them settle in Alaska? It’s technically a territory at this point and out of sight and out of mind of most Americans. Seems like a sensible middle ground

Perhaps FDR allows the Jews in the United States by letting them settle in Alaska? It’s technically a territory at this point and out of sight and out of mind of most Americans. Seems like a sensible middle ground
Unfortunately, Anthony Dimond might complicate matters for that. The Jews might probably have to either blend in with the fellow Americans or go to towns with large Jewish communities like Boston.

I would gladly accept any contributions here on this thread though.
I am very much an amateur lover of history but if I come across something of interest I would be glad to let you know. When I think of the 190,000, I think about their future contributions being snuffed out. We just don't know all that was lost. I don't know how long your planned ATL will stretch beyond Breckinridge Long's death, but the possible, irreparably lost, contributions of the 190,000 could perhaps be one aspect of your speculative ATL.

FDR Addresses The Public About Breckinridge Long’s Passing
Excerpt from FDR’s speech:

Franklin D. Roosevelt stands at a podium, addressing the nation about the accidental death of a U.S. Ambassador to Italy (Tuesday, June 3, 1935)
1711659205808.jpeg

"My fellow Americans, It is with deep sorrow and a heavy heart that I stand before you today to share tragic news. On the 1st of June, we lost a dedicated public servant and esteemed diplomat, Breckinridge Long, in a devastating accident at the United States Embassy in Rome.

Breckinridge Long, who served as our ambassador to Italy, fell victim to a tragic incident involving a fall down a flight of stairs on the 31st of May. Despite the best efforts of medical professionals in Rome, Mr. Long succumbed to his injuries the day after.
Breckinridge Long dedicated his life to public service, demonstrating unwavering commitment and exceptional expertise in his role as our ambassador. He was a respected diplomat, a tireless advocate for American interests, and a man of great integrity. His contributions to our nation's diplomatic efforts will be remembered and cherished.
In this time of grief, our thoughts and prayers go out to the Long family. We share their sorrow and stand with them in solidarity during this difficult period. Ambassador Long's loss is not only a personal tragedy for his loved ones but also a loss for our nation.
I have directed our embassy in Rome to extend every possible support and assistance to the Long family during this challenging time. Our diplomats and consular officers are working closely with Italian authorities to ensure that all necessary arrangements are made.
While we mourn the loss of Ambassador Long, we must also remember the valuable work that he and our diplomatic corps continue to carry out around the world. Their efforts are vital in fostering peace, advancing our national interests, and promoting understanding among nations.
Let us honor Breckinridge Long's memory by reaffirming our commitment to diplomacy and the values he held dear. May we strive for a world where dialogue and cooperation prevail, where accidents such as this tragic one are minimized, and where the bonds of friendship between nations grow stronger.
I ask each of you to keep Ambassador Long's family in your thoughts and to pay tribute to his legacy by supporting our diplomats who work tirelessly in service to our great nation.

May God bless the Long family, and may God bless the United States of America."

Kudos to the Poe AI (It’s fine to judge me, it’s just that this is rather useful when you have Autism + ADHD. Sorry for the delays)​

Death Abroad
Excerpts from the Brooklyn Daily Eagle:

★ Tuesday, June 4, 1935
IMG_1888.jpeg

(May 16, 1881–June 1, 1935)
U.S. Ambassador To Italy To Be Flown Home For Burial

Body of Breckinridge Long will be Transported Back To The United States for Burial

“The body of the late U.S Ambassador Breckinridge Long, who tragically lost his life in an accidental fall at Rome’s U.S. Embassy, is now on its way back to American soil for his final resting place. The distinguished diplomat’s untimely demise has left the diplomatic community in shock, with colleagues and officials mourning the unexpected loss of a man known for his dedication and commitment.”

“Preparations are underway at the American Embassy in Rome to ensure the safe transport of Long’s body back to America; funeral arrangements are already being made to honour the late ambassador’s memory, with solemn services to be held in the presence of friends, family, and dignitaries who wish to pay their respects.”

“As the nation mourns the loss of a dedicated statesman, it is a reminder of the risks and sacrifices our diplomats face in their service abroad. Let us honor Ambassador Long's memory by reaffirming the importance of diplomacy and the critical role it plays in fostering international relations.“

Kudos to the Poe AI once more (any recommendations for AI writing assistants?😐)​

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Anthony Dimond might complicate matters for that. The Jews might probably have to either blend in with the fellow Americans or go to towns with large Jewish communities like Boston.
Sorry about being a bit rude earlier.

Ambassador Vacancy
Excerpt from the New York Times:

FDR To Consider New Ambassador To Italy

Roosevelt Weighs Candidates to Succeed Late Ambassador Long

“WASHINGTON, D.C., June 5, 1935 —In the aftermath of the tragic demise of Ambassador Breckinridge Long, President Franklin D. Roosevelt is carefully deliberating over potential candidates to assume the crucial role of U.S. Ambassador to Italy. With the sudden vacancy resulting from Ambassador Long's untimely passing, the President faces the weighty responsibility of selecting a capable and experienced diplomat to represent American interests in Italy.
President Roosevelt, renowned for his thoughtful and meticulous decision-making, is earnestly considering a range of factors in this selection process. The President recognizes the significance of this appointment, particularly against the backdrop of evolving U.S.-Italian relations, international trade dynamics, and the broader diplomatic landscape.
Several names have emerged as potential contenders for the position, each possessing distinct qualifications and experiences. Notably, William Phillips, a seasoned diplomat who previously served as the U.S. Ambassador to Italy from 1930 to 1933 and is currently serving as Under Secretary of State, is receiving serious consideration. Phillips' prior experience in Italy and his well-established relationships with Italian officials render him a strong candidate for the role. Another serious contender is Ray Atherton, currently serving as Councillor of the Embassy in Italy, whose diplomatic tenure and firsthand insights into Italian politics and culture present a compelling case for his candidacy. Mr. Atherton's astute diplomatic skills and experience in navigating European complexities position him as a viable choice for advancing American interests within the Italian peninsula.”

Kudos to the ChatGTP and Poe AIs (Plus to Rattenfänger von Memphis for helping move the Timeline along and motivate me)​

I would gladly accept any contributions here on this thread though.
Though sat in another universe, the world of Annie, I wrote this story that - through my research. - caused me to find that a senator Reynolds from North Carolina head blocked any attempts to get as many as 20,000 extra Jewish children into the United States. There is also Millard Tydings, the Maryland senator who, as you can see in the first lines of my story, tried to propose a resolution against Hitler in 1934! I believe Tydings would be very useful somewhere in your TL.

Though sat in another universe, the world of Annie, I wrote this story that - through my research. - caused me to find that a senator Reynolds from North Carolina head blocked any attempts to get as many as 20,000 extra Jewish children into the United States. There is also Millard Tydings, the Maryland senator who, as you can see in the first lines of my story, tried to propose a resolution against Hitler in 1934! I believe Tydings would be very useful somewhere in your TL.
Considering that Robert Rice Reynolds would later become known for his pro-Nazi sympathies, the treasury and press’ earlier knowledge about the Holocaust ITTL would probably wreck his career. Millard Tydings, on the other hand, could play a bigger part in saving the Jewish refugees fleeing from the Nazi regime.

Phillips Becomes Ambassador To Italy Once Again
Excerpts from the Chicago Daily Tribune:

Phillips Becomes Italy’s Ambassador Once Again
1712135487724.jpeg

William Phillips Named Ambassador to Italy, Succeeding Long

“WASHINGTON, D.C., June 12 — (Special.)— In a significant diplomatic development after only a few days of deliberation, William Phillips, a seasoned diplomat with extensive experience in international affairs, has been named as the new U.S. Ambassador to Italy, succeeding the late Ambassador Breckinridge Long.”
“The appointment of Phillips, a highly respected figure in diplomatic circles, comes following the tragic loss of Ambassador Long, who met with a fatal accident at the United States Embassy in Rome. President Franklin D. Roosevelt and the U.S. Department of State chose Phillips to assume the critical role of representing American interests in Italy.
“William Phillips brings a wealth of experience and expertise to his new position. Having previously served as the U.S. Ambassador to Italy from 1930 to 1933, his reappointment to this prestigious role reflects his deep understanding of the Italian political landscape and his established relationships with Italian officials.“

(Poe/ChatGTP)

Last edited: