Indonesia ATL: The Presidency of Try Sutrisno (1997-)

“But you must know, it’s not just the weaponry that’s important but the personnel manning it as well. The latest fighter jets and IFVs are nothing if they fall to the sea or get lost in the forest.”
Says the man who IOTL neglect the maintenance of the aircraft so badly that most of the relatively new Sukhoi fleet are unable to fly. It seems to be a bit of projection really. I do not want to repeat the rant, but damn it.

Oh boy, Chinese tourists from Guangzhou are heading Malaysia’s way in early 2003, that’s going to be all good, right?
Well depends really, the health minister currently IOTL and probably ITTL is a person that is competent (despite also being relatively pro-China as well), and able to handle several outbreaks IOTL relatively well, so there could be nothing that could probably affect his response...

MCA fell into crisis in 2001, when factional infighting between "Teams A" and "B" became public. Chua aligned himself to the Lim Ah Lek-led Team B during the Nanyang Siang Pau takeover crisis.[6] The 2002 party elections were cancelled, and Chua retained his vice presidency under the MCA "peace plan" of 2003, which saw Ong Ka Ting assume the presidency. However, he was dropped from the Cabinet after the 2004 general election as he was not recommended to the prime minister by the new party leader.[7]
Oh .....dear...no. Nevermind, we are talking about Najib at the helm of BN here, so all hell could break loose even before the possible start of the outbreak. Maybe perhaps Chua Jui Meng decided to say f*ck it and move to PKR earlier ITTL

Last edited:
Oh boy @GSD310 still do not describe PLA military transformation. Hell it's nearly 2005. PLAN and PLAF have great major transfomation new BVR aircaft, bommber, Corvette, Frigate, Destroyer, LHD, LPD, and Carrier. Hmm with how dynamic situation on South Asia and SEA then China will make their weapon project build faster by anymeans necessary. European maybe even tempted if China burning more money.
NB= Iran and Saudi have advanced refinery technology maybe we can have eadily produce more pertamax and pertamax 95

Last edited:
218: Contenders And Concerns
8th February 2003:
The Saturday morning saw the President and his entourage cutting through Jakarta’s traffic to a newly built mixed-use building at the Sudirman Central Business District. There, accompanied by Minister of Tourism Soeyono, State Minister of Urban Development Ridjwan Hisjam and Governor of Jakarta Sutiyoso, the President inaugurated the following:

*The Artha Graha Shopping Center, where the President is at
*Ciputra World Shopping Center

While the President toured the shopping center with CEO of Artha Graha Group Tomy Winata playing the tour guide, Soeyono, Ridwan, and Sutiyoso explained to the gathered press that Artha Graha Shopping Center along with Ciputra World and the government’s own ongoing mixed-use project at the HI Roundabout will help create attractions in the capital city worthy of Indonesia’s current prominence on the regional and international stage.

From the Artha Graha Shopping Center, the President went to the JIExpo Building, the President accompanied by Minister of Industry Siswono Yudohusodo declared open the Inatronics Electronics Industry Exhibition. The President in his speech made mention of the increased number of Indonesian households with air conditioners, refrigerators, washing machines, and lightbulbs, the President hailed the products of the electronics industry and their accessibility to the general populace “visible signs of increased living standards and prosperity in Indonesia”. The President then walked with Siswono to tour the stands.

10th February 2003:
Minister of Religion Quraish Shihab, Minister of Manpower and Small Business Fahmi Idris, and Minister of Civil Service Reform Kuntoro Mangunsubroto came out of a meeting with the President. The three announced that though the Islamic New Year will still be on the 3rd March, the holiday itself will be delayed until 13th March so as not to interrupt the 2003 MPR General Session.

At a joint press conference at the Presidential Palace, Minister of Transportation Soerjadi Soedirja and State Minister of State-Owned Enterprises Cacuk Sudarijanto announced the President’s approval that air navigation will fall exclusively under the authority of the Department of Transportation. Cacuk explained that State-Owned Enterprise Angkasa Pura, in charge of the nation’s airports, will have no further jurisdiction over air navigation in three months’ time while Soerjadi said that it was important to have a single authority managing air navigation given Indonesia’s burgeoning civil aviation industry.

11th February 2003:
The President arrived by air at Surabaya, East Java in the morning where he and his presidential entourage travelled to the Suramadu Bridge, a bridge which will link Surabaya with the island of Madura. It was at this terminal that the President, with Soerjadi Soedirja, Minister of Public Works Rachmat Witoelar, Minister of Education Fakry Gaffar, and Governor of East Java Haris Sudarno standing, beside him inaugurated the following:

*The Suramadu Bridge
*New Terminal 1 Building of Juanda International Airport (the old terminal building becomes Terminal 2)
*The First Corridor of the Surabaya BRT
*Trunojoyo University in Madura

In addition to making special mention thanking the Colombian Government for its assistance in the Surabaya BRT, the President said the completion of these projects further strengthens the economic capacity of East Java and further facilitate economic activity in Madura. The President then crossed to Madura and after visiting the campuses of Trunojoyo University, he crossed back to Surabaya to ride the Surabaya BRT before returning to Juanda Airport, inspecting the facilities there and returning to Jakarta. Through it all, he was very pleased and would nod his head in acknowledgement and wave whenever someone yelled “Pak Try, lima tahun lagi!”.

12th February 2003:
It was Eid’l Adha Day and while the President attended Eid’l Adha prayers at Istiqlal Mosque in Jakarta, his rival was at Solo, Central Java. Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto personally presided over the distribution of sacrificial meat as well as other basic commodities to the poor at the Soeharto family’s residence in Solo, the Ndalem Kalitan. She then held a great luncheon attended by the Soeharto family and friends as well as the PKPB’s DPR members and MPR Delegates most notably Vice Chairman of the DPR/MPR Hartono, Secretary of the PKPB ZA Maulani, Treasurer of the PKPB Akbar Tandjung, Prabowo Subianto, and Subijakto Tjakrawerdaya.

When Tutut rose up to speak, she made mention that the MPR General Session will begin in 17 days’ time. Having said that the policies and the legacy left behind her father will be on the line at the MPR General Session, she also said that something else was on the line.

“We have all made a great effort in the last 5 years to get where we are at today”, said Tutut “After the last MPR General Session, we went around Indonesia to build people’s familiarity with myself, to gain support for myself and we ended up with an overwhelming success at the 1998 Golkar National Congress where with your support, I became the Chairwoman of Golkar.

We were building momentum, we were the only force capable of keeping the President honest and making sure he sticks with successful policies, and then the rug was pulled from under us. The President caused Golkar to be split into two and we had to start from zero. That was the PKPB’s story, we started from zero.

But we worked hard again, we built the people’s familiarity with the PKPB, we associated the PKPB with the successful policies of President Soeharto and Alhamdullilah, we became the party that won the 2002 Elections…”

There were cheers and applause in the room.

“And now 17 days stands between us and the MPR General Session. You have all shed blood, sweat, and tears in the last 5 years. You all have run afoul of this President and this government and have suffered, materially or otherwise, because of it.

I am asking for your blood, your sweat, and your teears one more time at the MPR General Session. Everything is on the line, everything is at stake…the policies of President Soeharto which had risen the people’s living standards, our nation and its future, the effort that we have put in…everything is on the line, everything is at stake. One more time, I call on your support and your loyalty and Insha Allah, with that support and that loyalty, I will be the next President of the Republic of Indonesia.”

13th February 2003
At a villa in the cool weather of Puncak, West Java, Chairwoman of the PNI Megawati Soekarnoputri was flanked by the Leader of the PNI in the MPR Sutjipto, the Secretary of the PNI in the MPR Sidarto Danusubroto, Treasurer of the PNI Laksamana Sukardi, and her husband Taufiq Kiemas. After she had explained and taken questions about the PNI’s preparations for the MPR Session, Megawati was asked about Tutut’s comments.

“My father was placed under house arrest, having his successor depart from his policies was the least of his concerns; once upon a time, my political party was harassed to the point of having its headquarters taken over forcefully by thugs; and if I spoke as openly about the regime that was in charge at the time my party headquarters were taken over forcefully as the Chairwoman of the PKPB did yesterday, I would be in trouble” said Megawati “My point is, I think the Chairwoman of the PKPB needs to get some perspective.”

At a joint press conference after meeting the President, Minister of Agriculture Sarwono Kusumaatmadja, Minister of Trade Anthony Salim, and Head of BARANTIN Ali Rachman announced that Indonesia will “selectively” start importing meat again from Latin America and more specifically Argentina after imposing a ban due to the foot and mouth disease. Ali Rachman said that quarantine officials will be sent to Argentina so that the meat can be screened before it departs for Indonesia.

14th February 2003:
State Minister of Youth and Sports Hajriyanto Thohari came out of a meeting with the President. He announced that the President had approved of South Sumatra as the hosts of the National Sporting Week (PON) in 2004. Hajriyanto only smiled and continued walking to his car when asked if he discussed whether Muhammadiyah will support the President at the MPR General Session.

All eyes in Jakarta was on the official residence of Chairman of the DPR/MPR/PPP Matori Abdul Djalil. Matori returned from Friday Prayer and after half an hour, an official convoy arrived bringing Vice President JB Sumarlin. An hour later, two emerged and posed together for pictures saying that they had a good lunch and a face-to-face meeting together. Matori was asked whether the PPP would support the PKPI when it formally nominates their candidates for president and vice President for another term at the MPR General Session.

“We have a Coalition Agreement with the PKPI. Both the President and the PKPI has done more than enough to respect that Coalition Agreement, look at me standing before you in this office as chairman of the DPR/MPR”, said Matori “I would submit that it is now the PPP’s turn to show its respect to the Coalition Agreement and one way to do that is to support the PKPI’s nomination for president and vice president without any reservation.”

15th February 2003:
Within the Presidential Palace, the President sat eating breakfast with Sumarlin. But then the food was taken out, the small talk subsided, and after a silence to allow the attendants to close the door, the two got down to business.

“How did the meeting with Matori went?” asked the President.

“He says he feels he can get a majority support for you and for me but that there will be those whose votes could not be counted on”, replied Sumarlin.

The President.

“So you see, Mr. Vice President, you’re not the only one who does not enjoy the PPP’s wholehearted support…or everyone else’s full support, for that matter”, said the President “I asked the State Minister of Youth and Sports whether I could rely on Muhammadiyah at the MPR General Session, he said not with Amien Rais as the chairman.”

“I thought the Chairman of the Muhammadiyah is against Tutut, Mr. President”, said Sumarlin.

“He is, but he’s also a politician”, replied the President “Each time there’s a reshuffle or jockeying for position, he’s always there trying to increase his influence and he knows my patience is growing thin with him.”

Sumarlin studied the President’s face.

“But, your meeting with the Chairman of the DPR/MPR, does that answer your concerns about whether or not you have the PPP’s full support?” asked the President “I would say that that’s just the reality of it for both you and I, the only thing we can do is look for votes elsewhere in the MPR.”

Sumarlin nodded in agreement.

“On age, I will say that we need your mind and experience more than anything else, Mr. Vice President, but I will do my part to help”, began the President again “I will elevate the Vice-Presidential Secretary’s position to a cabinet level position, they will sit in cabinet meetings, and they will function as your engine when it comes to the implementation of decisions made by the government. I will delegate my authority to make cabinet appointments to you for this appointment. Choose whoever you want who will best help you conduct your duties.”

Sumarlin nodded his head as he processed the idea.

“You named whether or not you enjoyed the PPP’s full support and age as your concerns to accepting my offer to the Chairman of the PKPI”, said the President “Has what I said allayed your concerns, Mr. Vice President?”

Sumarlin thought it over.

“Have you talked things over with the Second Lady?” asked the President.

“I have, Mr. President”, said Sumarlin “I told her that with the 10 year moratorium on the repayment of debt, commodity prices rising because of development in the emerging economies, and our general economic prospects, I can’t let this favorable situation fall into others’ hands and be mismanaged…and as an economist I know what our nation can potentially do if things are managed properly.”

The President only smiled at this.

“You’ll have the same role and responsibilities as you do this term, you will be my principle economic advisor though you can speak to me on all policy areas, you will be consulted on all decisions though all final decision will rest with me”, the President said as he began his final pitch “Policy-wise, we’ll continue on our common agreement that we can afford to have more defense spending though at the same time said increased defense spending also depends on the nation’s economic growth and economic performance.”

“I agree to that”, said Sumarlin.

“Then, Mr. Vice President”, said the President “In the event of my re-election, my first task will be to secure the election of the Vice President of the Republic of Indonesia for the next term and when it comes time for me to do that, I will turn to you.”

The President extended his hand.

“Will you be willing to serve for another term as Vice President of the Republic of Indonesia?” he asked.

Lots of thoughts seemed to go through Sumarlin’s mind. And then…

“I will”, he said shaking the President’s hands.

---
ITTL’s Pacific Place, Ciputra World, and Grand Indonesia being mentioned in this chapter.

All of the things Tutut mentioned in her spiel are things that has happened to her ITTL. But this is her basically saying that everything is on the line at the MPR General Session.

Meanwhile, all the things Mega mentioned in her spiel are things that has happened to her in OTL. As a side note, I think the way things were building up for Megawati in the final years of the New Order, taking a shot at the presidency was always going to happen to her just as soon as she has the chance.

219: Countdowns and Epidemics
16th February 2003:
That Sunday, Jakarta buzzed at the possibility that at the previous day’s meeting, Vice President JB Sumarlin had accepted the President’s offer for a second term as vice president. Sumarlin found himself flocked by reporters as he exited church accompanied by Second Lady Yustina Sudarmi Sumarlin. He only smiled and got in his car.

At Puncak the PNI’s MPR Delegation’s retreat came to an end. To a surprised reaction that broke into cheers, Chairwoman of the PNI Megawati Soekarnoputri introduced a special guest who was none other than Chairman of Muhammadiyah Amien Rais. Amien spoke at the gathering expressing his faith that at the MPR General Session, there will be a political earthquake and that Megawati will be the cause of it.

17th February 2003:
The President met with Head of BKKBN Sumarjati Arjoso this morning. Bringing the BKKBN’s top officials with her, Sumarjati reported that the BKKBN has achieved the target set in June 2000 of 70% of all fertile married couples having access to family planning information and contraceptives before the end of the term. The President approved of this though he noted that husbands should play more of a role in using contraception.

Interviewed by the press as he arrived at an afternoon event, Minister of Economics and National Development Planning Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti was asked about what the strengthening of the Rupiah from $1= Rp. 4,125 to $1= Rp. 4,103 over the course of the day meant. Dorodjatun focused on the economics saying that the time for Indonesians to open and expand businesses for Indonesians. But then he acknowledged that with the MPR General Session just days away, the strengthening of the Rupiah had a political sentiment behind it.

“The market is reacting positively to the possibility of another term of Try-Sumarlin”, said Dorodjatun.

18th February 2003:
The President held a joint press conference with Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Albert Hasibuan after their meeting at the Presidential Palace this morning. The two discussed the continuing effort to prepare the transfer of authority over the courts from the executive to the Supreme Court which had been conducted for the last 2.5 years. Hasibuan said that it was a process which has been making progress but, given the complexity, will have to be completed in the next term of government. Hasibuan smiled when asked what would happen to the process should he found himself working with a different president after the MPR General Session and said that this was a matter for the MPR.

In a joint press conference after coming out of a meeting with the President, Minister of Home Affairs Harsudiono Hartas and Commander of ABRI Wiranto said that the government will not be permitting demonstrations about or related to the United States’ impending attack on Yugoslavia. The reason being that calm and order will be required in the run-up to the MPR General Session.

19th February 2003:
In a morning meeting at the PKPB’s National Headquarters attended by the PKPB’s DPR members, Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto instructed the PKPB’s DPR members to boycott hearings to discuss the passing of the Draft 2003/2004 Budget if the government continues to insist on wanting the passing of the Anti-Terror Bill. Announcing this decision to the press, the Leader of the PKPB in the DPR Akbar Tandjung said that this was the party’s decision but refused to answer what he himself thought about the decision.

Akbar’s day went from bad to worse when he made a joint appearance on RCTI with the Leader of the PKPI Sofyan Lubis to argue the PKPB and the PKPI’s respective positions on the Anti-Terror Bill. The two were an even match in explaining their parties’ position but Akbar never recovered when Sofyan asked “Why can’t you guys play a constructive role and join in passing the bill the way you did with the Manpower Law?”. Akbar would later say the most difficult thing about this ordeal was that he had to argue against a point he agreed with.

20th February 2003:
At the Presidential Palace, the President met with Minister of Manpower and Small Business Fahmi Idris. Fahmi reported the National Wages Council’s recommendation for minimum wage raises across the provinces, the first time since 1999 that the minimum wage has been raised. Wages have been raising naturally as a result of economic growth, the jobs created, and the competition between employees to fill those jobs. The purpose of the minimum wage rises is to increase the wage floor and acknowledge that labor has become more skilled with more graduates from vocational schools. The President approved of this.

Day-to-Day Chairman of the PPP Hamzah Haz arrived at the PPP’s National Headquarters to be crowded around by the press. Hamzah joked that people are taking it for granted that it will be Try-Sumarlin because no official announcement had been made yet. He said that PPP members should not be taken for granted and that “for all we know”, it could be Try-Matori.

21st February 2003:
After a very early flight, the President arrived at Jayapura, Irian Jaya. At the Sentani Airport, he was welcomed by Governor of Irian Jaya Balthasar Kambuaya before travelling with his entourage to Jayapura’s Hamadi Region. Accompanied by Minister of Public Works Rachmat Witoelar, Minister of Transportation Soerjadi Soedirja, Minister of Industry Siswono Yudohusodo, State-Minister of State-Owned Enterprises Cacuk Sudarijanto, and with Kambuaya besides him, the President inaugurated the following:

*The Holtekamp Bridge
*Sentani Airport New Terminal Building
*Wamena Airport New Terminal Building
*Units 1 and 2 of Semen Tonasa’s Jayapura Factory
*The Enarotali-Ilaga-Mulia-Wamena Portion of the Trans-Irian Jaya Road

In his speech, the President said all provinces in Indonesia must and will take part in economic development including Irian Jaya. The President and his entourage then crossed the Holtekamp Bridge and after Friday Prayer at the Baitturahim Great Mosque at Jayapura, he toured Semen Tonasa’s Jayapura Factory expressing hope that this will boost construction in Jayapura and Irian Jaya as well as drive cement prices down.

The President, with Harsudiono Hartas and Kambuaya flanking him, and his entourage had lunch with members of the MRIJ, who were led by its Chairman Frans A. Wospakrik. The lunch was very cordial with Wospakrik acknowledging the work the President has done in particular with securing the divestment of Freeport but also submitting a request for the President to consider dividing Irian Jaya into three provinces.

As he was about to depart back to Jakarta, the President watched an argument break out between Minister of Transmigration Indra Bambang Utoyo and Kambuaya. Indra insisted that there has been consistent report from the Department of Transmigration that Acehnese have exited the province for Irian Jaya. Kambuaya argued that if there has been an influx of Acehnese transmigrants in Irian Jaya, he had not seen them. State Secretary Edi Sudrajat broke up the argument and the President thought nothing of it.

22nd February 2003:
While troops in charge of maintaining security at the 2003 MPR General Session began to take their positions around Jakarta and government billboards with pictures of the MPR’s green-domed building and the writing “Sukseskan Sidang Umum MPR 2003” are appearing all around Jakarta, the President spent his Saturday in a long meeting with Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita. Ginandjar reported about the eventful 24 hours which happened while the President had visited Irian Jaya:

*At the United Nations, a United States and United Kingdom-proposed resolution calling for Yugoslavia to cease its military operations in Montenegro or face a humanitarian intervention was vetoed by Russia, China, and France. France’s resolution represented its stance that UN Peacekeepers should be sent into Montenegro and new presidential elections held in Montenegro under UN supervision. The failure of this resolution means that when the United States and its Coalition of the Willing launches its military attack into Yugoslavia, it will be doing so without both UN and NATO approval.

*Right on the heels of this failure in the UN and with British personnel due to depart to Croatia and Albania this week, the British Parliament held a vote about whether or not it gave approval for the impending operations in Yugoslavia. On the back of the vetoed resolution, popular sentiment being against intervention in Yugoslavia, and Labor’s Gordon Brown publicly expressing his desire to vote against intervention, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Tony Blair found himself being defeated on the floor of parliament. The defeat came with Brown’s followers voting against military intervention and even with the opposition Conservative Party throwing in its lot with Blair. Thus it was that Blair found himself treating this defeated vote as a vote of no-confidence and stepping down from his post as prime minister. John Prescott is now prime minister until Labor chooses a new leader, most likely Gordon Brown.

The President asked whether the new government will honor the commitment made a few weeks ago to jointly provide military aid to Indonesia with the United States. Ginandjar said that so far there has not been a policy change.

When asked whether this will delay the United States’ plans for Yugoslavia, Ginandjar replied in the negative but that perhaps other members of the coalition might want to increase its contribution to show its support.

*Lastly, the Chinese Communist Party’s Central Committee concluded its 2nd Plenary Session. Among others the meeting approved of General Secretary Luo Gan’s candidacy for the office of President of the People’s Republic of China at the upcoming NPC and Politburo Standing Committee Wu Bangguo’s candidacy for Premier of the People’s Republic of China.

23rd February 2003:
The President half-expected news of a terrorist attack or some kind of a military attack when Edi made an appearance during his family’s Sunday lunch. But once he made his way from the Presidential Palace’s residential quarters to its working quarters, the President was surprised to see that his guests were Minister of Health Azrul Azwar and Head of the BNP2TKI Potsdam Hutasoit.

“Okay, you’re going to have to tell the rest of the cabinet about this”, the President said once the two officials were done telling him the reason why they asked for a meeting.

Amazingly the entire cabinet was assembled in a very short time. With days left until the MPR General Session, ministers were trying to get as much work done as possible as the clock ticked down.

On the President’s invitation the two officials began speaking. Potsdam spoke first about an Indonesian migrant worker returning from Hong Kong with a very bad fever and how the two flight attendants handling her were not feeling well at the conclusion of the flight. The B2PTKI took the migrant worker and the flight attendants to the medical center at the airport, the medical center reported to the Department of Health and that was how the Minister of Health became involved.

“We’ve studied the patients and the symptoms and we’ve also conducted tests”, reported Azrul “This migrant worker and the two flight attendants have tested positive to a virus though we don’t know what.”

“There seems to be a lot of unidentified virus doing the rounds”, weighed in Minister of Tourism Soeyono “The one that’s a big deal in tourism at the moment is a whole busload of tourists from Guangzhou, China visiting Kuala Lumpur. Pretty much everyone in that group is sick and they’ve spread it to the people working at the hotel, people at the tourist attractions, people at the souvenir shop. It’s only the last few days but there’s a little outbreak going.”

“Actually, Mr. Minister of Tourism”, began Azrul “We’re of the opinion that the virus this migrant worker has tested positive for is the same virus as the one in the case you’ve mentioned.”

Soeyono tried to process that.

“My question is, is this virus from Hong Kong or Malaysia?” asked Minister of Legal Affairs Marzuki Darusman “We have to start banning people from coming in overseas or at least quarantining them but we need know where to start.”

“Well, it’s been established that in the case of the busload of tourists that the first one who tested positive was already ill when he departed for Malaysia and our migrant worker said that her employer’s family member just returned from the mainland…” said Azrul.

“This virus is from the People’s Republic of China”, concluded the President as he facepalmed.

The cabinet waited as the President massaged his face with his palm.

“We need to do something. We can’t wait for the Chinese or for anybody to make announcement about whatever this is exactly”, said the President as he pointed to the migrant worker’s test results in front of him “We have the MPR General Session in days and that will already be an ordeal for some of us at this table so let’s not add an epidemic to the mix.”

---
A bit of a “Try works” chapter interspersed with the countdown to the MPR Session.

The BNP2TKI has made past appearances before. But for non-Indonesians, this is the migrant workers government agency.

Tensions, tensions rising everywhere, whether it's national tension caused by Amien's shenanigans and the Indonesian Separatist Alliance, or international in regards of Yugoslavia and the Epidemic. March 2003 would be a wild ride to get through as everyone's Train Ride of Fate is heading off into a collision course.

Some silver linings, though....
19th February 2003:

Akbar’s day went from bad to worse when he made a joint appearance on RCTI with the Leader of the PKPI Sofyan Lubis to argue the PKPB and the PKPI’s respective positions on the Anti-Terror Bill. The two were an even match in explaining their parties’ position but Akbar never recovered when Sofyan asked “Why can’t you guys play a constructive role and join in passing the bill the way you did with the Manpower Law?”. Akbar would later say the most difficult thing about this ordeal was that he had to argue against a point he agreed with.
21st February 2003:
After a very early flight, the President arrived at Jayapura, Irian Jaya. At the Sentani Airport, he was welcomed by Governor of Irian Jaya Balthasar Kambuaya before travelling with his entourage to Jayapura’s Hamadi Region. Accompanied by Minister of Public Works Rachmat Witoelar, Minister of Transportation Soerjadi Soedirja, Minister of Industry Siswono Yudohusodo, State-Minister of State-Owned Enterprises Cacuk Sudarijanto, and with Kambuaya besides him, the President inaugurated the following:

*The Holtekamp Bridge

In his speech, the President said all provinces in Indonesia must and will take part in economic development including Irian Jaya. The President and his entourage then crossed the Holtekamp Bridge and after Friday Prayer at the Baitturahim Great Mosque at Jayapura, he toured Semen Tonasa’s Jayapura Factory expressing hope that this will boost construction in Jayapura and Irian Jaya as well as drive cement prices down.
Jayapura would be an important cement hub in the future, and Akbar Tanjung's change of heart is still progressing.

16th February 2003:
That Sunday, Jakarta buzzed at the possibility that at the previous day’s meeting, Vice President JB Sumarlin had accepted the President’s offer for a second term as vice president. Sumarlin found himself flocked by reporters as he exited church accompanied by Second Lady Yustina Sudarmi Sumarlin. He only smiled and got in his car.

At Puncak the PNI’s MPR Delegation’s retreat came to an end. To a surprised reaction that broke into cheers, Chairwoman of the PNI Megawati Soekarnoputri introduced a special guest who was none other than Chairman of Muhammadiyah Amien Rais. Amien spoke at the gathering expressing his faith that at the MPR General Session, there will be a political earthquake and that Megawati will be the cause of it.

17th February 2003:
The President met with Head of BKKBN Sumarjati Arjoso this morning. Bringing the BKKBN’s top officials with her, Sumarjati reported that the BKKBN has achieved the target set in June 2000 of 70% of all fertile married couples having access to family planning information and contraceptives before the end of the term. The President approved of this though he noted that husbands should play more of a role in using contraception.

Interviewed by the press as he arrived at an afternoon event, Minister of Economics and National Development Planning Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti was asked about what the strengthening of the Rupiah from $1= Rp. 4,125 to $1= Rp. 4,103 over the course of the day meant. Dorodjatun focused on the economics saying that the time for Indonesians to open and expand businesses for Indonesians. But then he acknowledged that with the MPR General Session just days away, the strengthening of the Rupiah had a political sentiment behind it.
Hmm,the value of Rupiah could strengthen to the pre-financial crisis value at the end of a potential second term of Try-Sumarlin.
“The market is reacting positively to the possibility of another term of Try-Sumarlin”, said Dorodjatun.

18th February 2003:
The President held a joint press conference with Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Albert Hasibuan after their meeting at the Presidential Palace this morning. The two discussed the continuing effort to prepare the transfer of authority over the courts from the executive to the Supreme Court which had been conducted for the last 2.5 years. Hasibuan said that it was a process which has been making progress but, given the complexity, will have to be completed in the next term of government. Hasibuan smiled when asked what would happen to the process should he found himself working with a different president after the MPR General Session and said that this was a matter for the MPR.

In a joint press conference after coming out of a meeting with the President, Minister of Home Affairs Harsudiono Hartas and Commander of ABRI Wiranto said that the government will not be permitting demonstrations about or related to the United States’ impending attack on Yugoslavia. The reason being that calm and order will be required in the run-up to the MPR General Session.

19th February 2003:
In a morning meeting at the PKPB’s National Headquarters attended by the PKPB’s DPR members, Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto instructed the PKPB’s DPR members to boycott hearings to discuss the passing of the Draft 2003/2004 Budget if the government continues to insist on wanting the passing of the Anti-Terror Bill. Announcing this decision to the press, the Leader of the PKPB in the DPR Akbar Tandjung said that this was the party’s decision but refused to answer what he himself thought about the decision.

Do I sense of feeling of discomfort from Akbar... perhaps there is some PKPB members thaat would like to defect perhaps.
20th February 2003:
At the Presidential Palace, the President met with Minister of Manpower and Small Business Fahmi Idris. Fahmi reported the National Wages Council’s recommendation for minimum wage raises across the provinces, the first time since 1999 that the minimum wage has been raised. Wages have been raising naturally as a result of economic growth, the jobs created, and the competition between employees to fill those jobs. The purpose of the minimum wage rises is to increase the wage floor and acknowledge that labor has become more skilled with more graduates from vocational schools. The President approved of this.

Day-to-Day Chairman of the PPP Hamzah Haz arrived at the PPP’s National Headquarters to be crowded around by the press. Hamzah joked that people are taking it for granted that it will be Try-Sumarlin because no official announcement had been made yet. He said that PPP members should not be taken for granted and that “for all we know”, it could be Try-Matori.

21st February 2003:

*The Holtekamp Bridge

The President, with Harsudiono Hartas and Kambuaya flanking him, and his entourage had lunch with members of the MRIJ, who were led by its Chairman Frans A. Wospakrik. The lunch was very cordial with Wospakrik acknowledging the work the President has done in particular with securing the divestment of Freeport but also submitting a request for the President to consider dividing Irian Jaya into three provinces.
Well it's look like Papua is doing rather ...
As he was about to depart back to Jakarta, the President watched an argument break out between Minister of Transmigration Indra Bambang Utoyo and Kambuaya. Indra insisted that there has been consistent report from the Department of Transmigration that Acehnese have exited the province for Irian Jaya. Kambuaya argued that if there has been an influx of Acehnese transmigrants in Irian Jaya, he had not seen them (WTF!?). State Secretary Edi Sudrajat broke up the argument and the President thought nothing of it.
...huh...that is very concerning. (What was Kambuaya past experience, handling customs and immigration at Kuala Lumpur International Airport? /s)
22nd February 2003:
While troops in charge of maintaining security at the 2003 MPR General Session began to take their positions around Jakarta and government billboards with pictures of the MPR’s green-domed building and the writing “Sukseskan Sidang Umum MPR 2003” are appearing all around Jakarta, the President spent his Saturday in a long meeting with Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita. Ginandjar reported about the eventful 24 hours which happened while the President had visited Irian Jaya:

*At the United Nations, a United States and United Kingdom-proposed resolution calling for Yugoslavia to cease its military operations in Montenegro or face a humanitarian intervention was vetoed by Russia, China, and France. France’s resolution represented its stance that UN Peacekeepers should be sent into Montenegro and new presidential elections held in Montenegro under UN supervision. The failure of this resolution means that when the United States and its Coalition of the Willing launches its military attack into Yugoslavia, it will be doing so without both UN and NATO approval.

*Right on the heels of this failure in the UN and with British personnel due to depart to Croatia and Albania this week, the British Parliament held a vote about whether or not it gave approval for the impending operations in Yugoslavia. On the back of the vetoed resolution, popular sentiment being against intervention in Yugoslavia, and Labor’s Gordon Brown publicly expressing his desire to vote against intervention, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Tony Blair found himself being defeated on the floor of parliament.
Huh, it's only two years since the last election, and in the IOTL deal it said that he would only step down after he had serve two terms. So I had to read back a past update...and...
The UK Election was held in June 2001. Blair’s popularity had dipped enough to effect the Labour Party, its seats dropping from 418 to 391. Hague managed to unite the Conservatives behind him and increased their seats from 165 to 188. Attacking Labour from its left, Charles Kennedy and the Liberal Democrats increased their seats from 46 to 50.

Though he lost, Hague’s post-election aftermath was happier; with a consensus within the Conservatives that Hague should be retained as leader. Blair’s post-election was less so with elements within the party attributing Labor’s victory to the economy and to the work of Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown. Brown, who had leadership ambitions, did little to stop his supporters from making such claims. Meeting with Blair privately after the election, Brown reminded Blair of the latter’s promise to step aside after two terms. Being cornered, Blair agreed to step down from the prime ministership in 2003 saying that he wished to surpass Attlee as Labour’s longest-serving prime minister .
Oh forgot about that..so based on this statement, so I presumed from this stement that he would stepdown at the 1st of August at the earliest, but most probably announcing his retirement at the aforementioned date while allow a leadership contest to be held in a way that the announcement of the new leader to be held concurrently with the already schedules Labour Party Conference at Bournemouth at the end of September. But...
The defeat came with Brown’s followers voting against military intervention and even with the opposition Conservative Party throwing in its lot with Blair. Thus it was that Blair found himself treating this defeated vote as a vote of no-confidence and stepping down from his post as prime minister. John Prescott is now prime minister until Labor chooses a new leader, most likely Gordon Brown.
Well,it's look like Attlee remains the longest-serving Labour prime minister than..which IMO is alright, considering how much Labour is idolising Blair to the point of forgetting the achievement of past Labour PMs. Let's hope there would be no split in the Labour Party due to this. Slightly out of topic....but I hope Brown's premiership ITTL would be better than IOTL (at the very least, no idiotic decision that are reversed quickly for obvious reasons such as proposing biodiesel trains instead of rail electrification.
The President asked whether the new government will honor the commitment made a few weeks ago to jointly provide military aid to Indonesia with the United States. Ginandjar said that so far there has not been a policy change.

When asked whether this will delay the United States’ plans for Yugoslavia, Ginandjar replied in the negative but that perhaps other members of the coalition might want to increase its contribution to show its support.
I think military aid wise there would be no problem, since Brown was the ones that handling the UK purse during the Blair days. Although his left wing turn could create some interesting prepositions.
*Lastly, the Chinese Communist Party’s Central Committee concluded its 2nd Plenary Session. Among others the meeting approved of General Secretary Luo Gan’s candidacy for the office of President of the People’s Republic of China at the upcoming NPC and Politburo Standing Committee Wu Bangguo’s candidacy for Premier of the People’s Republic of China.

23rd February 2003:
The President half-expected news of a terrorist attack or some kind of a military attack when Edi made an appearance during his family’s Sunday lunch. But once he made his way from the Presidential Palace’s residential quarters to its working quarters, the President was surprised to see that his guests were Minister of Health Azrul Azwar and Head of the BNP2TKI Potsdam Hutasoit.

“Okay, you’re going to have to tell the rest of the cabinet about this”, the President said once the two officials were done telling him the reason why they asked for a meeting.

Amazingly the entire cabinet was assembled in a very short time. With days left until the MPR General Session, ministers were trying to get as much work done as possible as the clock ticked down.

On the President’s invitation the two officials began speaking. Potsdam spoke first about an Indonesian migrant worker returning from Hong Kong with a very bad fever and how the two flight attendants handling her were not feeling well at the conclusion of the flight. The B2PTKI took the migrant worker and the flight attendants to the medical center at the airport, the medical center reported to the Department of Health and that was how the Minister of Health became involved.

“We’ve studied the patients and the symptoms and we’ve also conducted tests”, reported Azrul “This migrant worker and the two flight attendants have tested positive to a virus though we don’t know what.”

“There seems to be a lot of unidentified virus doing the rounds”, weighed in Minister of Tourism Soeyono “The one that’s a big deal in tourism at the moment is a whole busload of tourists from Guangzhou, China visiting Kuala Lumpur. Pretty much everyone in that group is sick and they’ve spread it to the people working at the hotel, people at the tourist attractions, people at the souvenir shop. It’s only the last few days but there’s a little outbreak going.”

“Actually, Mr. Minister of Tourism”, began Azrul “We’re of the opinion that the virus this migrant worker has tested positive for is the same virus as the one in the case you’ve mentioned.”

Soeyono tried to process that.

“My question is, is this virus from Hong Kong or Malaysia?” asked Minister of Legal Affairs Marzuki Darusman “We have to start banning people from coming in overseas or at least quarantining them but we need know where to start.”

“Well, it’s been established that in the case of the busload of tourists that the first one who tested positive was already ill when he departed for Malaysia and our migrant worker said that her employer’s family member just returned from the mainland…” said Azrul.

“This virus is from the People’s Republic of China”, concluded the President as he facepalmed.

The cabinet waited as the President massaged his face with his palm.

“We need to do something. We can’t wait for the Chinese or for anybody to make announcement about whatever this is exactly”, said the President as he pointed to the migrant worker’s test results in front of him “We have the MPR General Session in days and that will already be an ordeal for some of us at this table so let’s not add an epidemic to the mix.”

---
A bit of a “Try works” chapter interspersed with the countdown to the MPR Session.

The BNP2TKI has made past appearances before. But for non-Indonesians, this is the migrant workers government agency.
Well the SARS shit show begins, and it looks like Indonesia would be the one that made an announcement in regards to the origin of the virus. And considering the fact that the bus load of tourist is not being monitored when passing through KLIA (Then again, anything suspicious could still go through KLIA without anyone noticing)

It seem refreshing to see a cabinet of minister could meet at a short notice and handling critical issues.

Meanwhile, considering the nature of Najib ascendancy and his apparent closeness to China, here is the likely scene that I propose would be happening at the next Najib's cabinet meeting, and by the looks of it...yeah..not good isn't it./s
FB_IMG_1690969528222~2.jpg

(By the way, this picture IIRC is from the annual grand meeting of the MCA during the crisis that I had mentioned before.)

Great to see the updates coming. Perhaps the SARS virus will actually increase Try's chances to win even a majority approval within PKPB caucus in the DPR. In which case I would like to see the reaction of the PKPB members at the next update.

The Holtekamp bridge and the Trans-Irian Jaya Road section are inaugurated almost 20 years before than OTL, thats a great advance.

It makes sense to expand the cement factory, since the Trans-Irian Road will demand a lot of materials, and even if the Enarotali-Wamena completed section is very long, is still a part of this road.

220: What It Has Come Down To
24th February 2003:
Mid-morning saw Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita, Minister of Legal Affairs Marzuki Darusman, Minister of Transportation Soerjadi Soedirja, Minister of Health Azrul Azwar, and Head of BNP2TKI Potsdam Hutasoit come out of a meeting with President Try Sutrisno. Acting as the spokesperson of the group, Azrul announced that the President has approved of a series of “precautionary steps” to prevent a newly identified virus from coming into Indonesia. The following steps are:

*Indonesians and foreigners alike arriving from Malaysia, the People’s Republic of China, and Hong Kong SAR to be screened for symptoms on arrival.

*The government has issued travel advisories to Malaysia, the People’s Republic of China, and Hong Kong. Travel advisories will be updated as necessary.
*If there are symptoms or the passengers are deemed to be a suspected case, they will be quarantined and isolated in hospitals appointed to them by the Department of Health.
*In addition to immigration cards, there will be a Health Alert Card for arriving passengers to fill in. If they feel unwell in the days after they have arrived, they can take their health alert card and present it to the hospital.
*Passengers arriving at Jakarta, Bali, Medan, Batam, and Ujung Pandang’s International Airports will be prioritized for symptoms screening.
*The list of ports of departure from which Indonesians and foreigners arrivals are screened for symptoms on arrival to be updated as necessary.
*The Government will coordinate with foreign governments in the region and the begin talks with the WHO regarding efforts to handle the virus.

Chairman of the MPR Matori Abdul Djalil is seen inspecting the preparations for the MPR General Session. After touring the building where the MPR General Session would be held, Matori went around to the hotels where the MPR delegates will be staying. After inspecting the last hotel, Matori found himself mobbed by the press at a doorstop. After expressing his satisfaction at preparations and support for the steps against the newly identified virus, Matori was asked about Day-to-day Chairman of the PPP Hamzah Haz’s comments that people should not take it for granted that it will be Try-Sumarlin.

“It could be Try-Sumarlin or Try-Matori or Try-Wismoyo or Try-whoever, that’s correct”, said Matori “The point is whoever the PKPI officially decides will be its presidential and vice presidential candidate, it will be the PPP’s task to give unconditional support. The President and the PKPI has already shown enough commitment to the PKPI-PPP Coalition and now it’s the PPP’s turn to do the same.”

25th February 2003:
State Secretary Edi Sudrajat and Cabinet Secretary Hayono Isman held a joint press conference. Edi announced that the President is reversing his call for the Anti-Terror Bill to be passed into law prior to the MPR General Session saying that it did not want to risk the Draft Budget and that it will be up to the DPR to determine the passing of the Anti-Terror Bill after the MPR General Session. When asked whether the President’s decision had anything to do with Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto claim that the PKPB would boycott DPR meetings and hearings about the Draft Budget, Edi only scoffed bitterly and walked out of the interview.

At the PKPB National Headquarters, Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto looked jubilant as she held a press conference flanked by Secretary of the PKPB ZA Maulani and Leader of the PKPB in the DPR/Treasurer of the PKPB Akbar Tandjung. Tutut said that she respects what the President had done and said whoever leads this nation must take into account the opinions of the party holding the most seats in the DPR and the majority faith of this country.

While Tutut answered questions about the government’s precautionary measures against the new unidentified virus, Akbar thought to himself that the time for making mental notes is over.

26th February 2003:
The President met with Commander of ABRI Wiranto and the two found themselves talking about various matters.

Wiranto reported that President of the Philippines Joseph Estrada has approved of ABRI’s decision to rotate units attached to the Indonesian Contingent Command in the Philippines to give the new units more experience and allow the old units to return to Indonesia and share their knowledge with ABRI personnel in Indonesia as part of improving ABRI’s military capability. The President approved of this.

Meanwhile the review of the 2002 Joint Military Exercise is ongoing and will be reported to the ABRI National Leadership Meeting which is scheduled for some time after the MPR General Session. The President acknowledged this.

Finally, Wiranto reported that the reorganization of ABRI is nearly complete. The increase of the Army’s Regional Military Commands, the establishment of a third Armada Command and the establishment of a third Air Force Command. Wiranto said that the only thing left to do is to fill the command and staff positions for these new commands at a command shuffle.

“No, General, the only thing left to do is to make sure that we’ll be around for these things”, said the President half jokingly.

27th February 2003:
The DPR’s last day in session before the MPR General Session passed without it discussing, much less passing, the Anti-Terror Bill into law and also without it passing the 2003/2004 Draft Budget. Though decorum was maintained in the DPR’s plenary session as Matori Abdul Djalil banged the session to a close, there was unhappiness among the PKPI ranks that the latter had not been passed.

Vice Chairman of the DPR/Chairman of the PKPI Basofi Sudirman, speaking more in his capacity as the latter expressed his disgust that this was the state of affairs. Basofi said that the government and the PKPI had bid a retreat from insisting on passing the Anti-Terror Bill because the PKPB threatened not to participate in hearings regarding the 2003/2004 Draft Budget and because the government felt that it did not want anything to happen to the Draft Budget. Basofi expressed his disappointment that having gotten its way on the Anti-Terror Bill, the PKPB has also proceeded to obstruct the 2003/2004 Draft Budget.

Speaking in defense of the PKPB, Vice Chairman of the DPR Hartono expressed surprise. He said that the Chairwoman of the PKPB has never said anything about the PKPB helping pass the Draft Budget if the government’s pressure on passing the Anti-Terror Bill is withdrawn. Hartono further said that because the results of the MPR General Session is not known, the Draft Budget should not be passed so that in the event of a new president being elected, the new president can withdraw the Draft Budget from the DPR and revise it accordingly to their needs.

28th February 2003:
The President chaired a cabinet meeting attended by Vice President JB Sumarlin, all cabinet ministers, and all the heads of the agencies.

There was a discussion about the new unidentified virus. Azrul and Soerjadi Soedirja said that there are suspect cases though not new cases and that it has been recommended for those working in airports to wear face masks. Ginandjar said that Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, and Vietnam have begun taking their own precautionary measures after seeing Indonesia taking its precautionary measures. Malaysia, Ginandjar reported, has written a formal complaint through its Ministry of Foreign Affairs expressing displeasure that Malaysia has been placed on Indonesia’s travel advisory.

That was the only formal agenda of the cabinet. In a short ceremony, Edi handed the President a thick document with the writing “Accountability Address for the term 1998-2003 by the President of the Republic Indonesia and Accompanying Appendix” written on it. It contained the speech which the President would deliver to the MPR the next day and a compendium of all the things which the government had achieved in the past 5 years.

“Sometimes it feels like we won't get to this point but we have done it: we are about to complete one whole term of government”, said the President getting teary-eyed “As it is likely that this is the final time this cabinet will gather like this, I want to say that whether you’ve been here the whole way, most of the way, or just a little part of the way, I am thankful to all of you from the bottom of my heart for the service you’ve rendered to the nation.”

1st March 2003:
Most of the time in groups, occasionally arriving by themselves, the delegates of the MPR arrived at the MPR building and took their seats; chatting away and nodding at new arrivals who they recognized. Slowly the numbers built up until the dignitaries, guests, and the members of the press agreed that that what was sitting there looked like a 1000-strong supreme constitutional entity.

Chairwoman of the PNI Megawati Soekarnoputri arrived accompanied the PNI Delegates who could not believe that they were going to be sitting there given that some of them were dissidents and activists. They all walked into the MPR Building at the same time because, it was later said, they wanted solidarity and equal status with each other. Megawati looked serious; wondering where the road that had begun when Soeharto had ordered her party headquarters to be forcibly taken over would lead.

Contrary to Megawati, Tutut Soeharto arrived by herself and after all of the PKPB delegation had taken their seats. Tutut walked purposefully down the aisle towards her seat, occasionally nodding faces that she recognized. A small applause broke out Tutut and Megawati made eye contact with each other. Tutut greeted Megawati while Megawati stood up to return the greeting. Tutut then took her seat with her delegation, relieved that what she had been waiting for is about to begin.

Then all MPR delegates were asked to stand up and it was the President’s turn to make his entrance. There was applause, enthusiastic ones from the PKPI and PPP delegates, polite ones from all the other candidates. The President walked into the building with Matori walking beside him. Behind them, Sumarlin walked in accompanied by Vice Chairmen of the MPR Hartono, Basofi Sudirman, Nyoman Suwisma, Alex Litaay, Mario Carrascalao and Edwin Soeryadjaya. With everybody still standing up including the dignitaries that just made their entrance, the national anthem was played. Then everyone sat as Matori made his speech about the meaning of the MPR Session that is about to be opened.

From where he sat, the President could see where Megawati was sitting and where Tutut was sitting though it was Tutut that he spent more time looking at.

This is what it’s come down to. Let’s settle this once and for all, Tutut.

“With the grace of almighty God and in the presence of all the Indonesian people”, said Matori as he lifted his gavel and brought his speech to a close “I declare the 2003 MPR General Session open!”

---

Okay, tensions aside, hopefully some domestic things past this five years would be addressed in the Accountability Address, namely Sago Initiative, regarding mines, and also tourism.

He's continuously making mental notes regarding Tutut's insistence of "Try doing more harm than good for the nation" despite knowing that by "the nation" it means "Soeharto's family".
I meant the Akbar political weight, but as i see, being the leader of PKPB ln DPR, its considerable.

...huh...that is very concerning. (What was Kambuaya past experience, handling customs and immigration at Kuala Lumpur International Airport? /s)

https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balthasar_Kambuaya He's an academic that has a record of being consulted by the government OTL. ITTL, he's supposed to be a "There's no more separatists so let's put someone who can focus more on the economy rather than imposing the central government's will" governor.

About the Blair/Brown situation:
You're correct that Blair promised to resign by August 2003 and that he appointed Brown as Foreign Secretary so he could prepare himself. That's from the "around the world" chapters. But things started to go awry for the arrangement when Blair is showing interest in unseating Milosevic and being happy that McCain also wants to unseat Milosevic if only to show Russia that the US is still boss. Brown's mindset is that he doesn't want to inherit this war. At the time of Try's visit to the UK in chapter 193, Brown is in the process of challenging Blair for the leadership and has resigned from the cabinet.

Blair being forced to resign on a vote about whether or not to go Yugoslavia is an echo of something that nearly happened in OTL https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_parliamentary_approval_for_the_invasion_of_Iraq. The difference between OTL and ITTL is of course Brown is in the government and not mobilizing the against votes.

Another factor making Brown more "daring" when it comes to going after the PM's job ITTL is the fact that by this time ITTL, Peter Costello has succeeded John Howard in Australia and Paul Martin has succeeded Jean Chretien in Canada. Both Costello and Martin were ministers of finance who are just waiting for their prime ministers to give way to them both in OTL and ITTL.

Okay, tensions aside, hopefully some domestic things past this five years would be addressed in the Accountability Address, namely Sago Initiative, regarding mines, and also tourism.
Yes, this is going to take a while but I do intend to get the Accountability Address to you all over the next few chapters. In addition to covering the stuff that has happened OTL, this will cover some of the stuff that happened "off-screen" and also integrate various notes I have about things like how various sectors of the economies are doing and how the BUMNs are doing and so on.

For the non-Indonesians, the Accountability Address is an important part of the MPR Session. It's a speech where the President talks about what has been achieved and what has happened over the last five years. Usually it's the first item of the agenda once the MPR Session has been opened.

221: 2003 Accountability Address Part 1
1st March 2003:
“Honorable Delegates, we now move on to the first item on our agenda, the Accountability Address for the term 1998-2003 which will be delivered by the President of the Republic of Indonesia”, announced Chairman of the MPR Matori Abdul Djalil “I invite you now, Mr. President to deliver that address.”

President Try Sutrisno stood up from his seat and walked over to the lectern followed by his two aides-de-camps. To hide the fact that he was nervous, the President looked at the ceiling as his aides-de-camp put his speech in the lectern.

The President put on his glasses and then stepped forward into the lectern, the two aides de camp standing behind him.

“Bismillahirohmanirohim,
Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

Mr. Chairman,
Vice Chairmen,
Honorable Delegates of the MPR,
Distinguished Guests,
Fellow Indonesians wherever you may be.

Let us first and foremost give our deepest thanks to Almighty God for it is by His will and grace that not only are we given health but that we, as a nation, are given the opportunity to witness the 2003 MPR General Session which the Chairman has just opened.

That the MPR is once again in session is something that we should all be thankful for. For the MPR itself, it means that the MPR is fulfilling its constitutional mandate of meeting at least once every five years in the nation’s capital so that it can exercise the sovereignty of the people. For our nation as a whole, it means that we are on the eve of completing another cycle in our nation’s political life.

It is not only the MPR that has come today to fufill its constitutional mandate. As President of the Republic of Indonesia, I am reminded when I open the 1945 Constitution and read its elucidation that “The President is appointed by the Assembly, and is subservient and accountable to the Assembly”. It is with this in mind, Honorable Delegates, that I come before you today with mere days left until my term of office expires to deliver my accountability address.

This will be the second accountability address that I am delivering to you. I delivered my first one exactly five years ago at the 1998 MPR General Session but I delivered that address for the most part on President Soeharto’s behalf, having succeeded into this office with three months left in that term of government.

This accountability address I am delivering to you will cover the current term of government which began when I was inaugurated at the 1998 MPR General Session.

Overcoming the Asian Financial Crisis:
Honorable Delegates,

Our current journey as a nation is inseparable from economic development. As a nation we have chosen to undertake economic development for the last three and a half decades out of a realization that independence will be for nothing if we do not improve the living standards of our people. And even though with the benefit of these three and a half decades of economic development, we are now able to assert ourselves in foreign policy and build our military, economic development and indeed our economy is still a matter of vital importance.

Indeed the first priority of the Government once this term had gotten under way was to address an economic crisis; the Asian Financial Crisis. This crisis, which first struck currencies in the region including ours had spread to become an economic crisis by March 1998. If left unchecked or not managed properly, it could not only threaten to undo the progress which we have made over the three decades of economic development.

In the first three months of my presidency, we had already begun taking steps to fulfill the conditions set down by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and restore confidence to the market by delivering a budget with a surplus of 1% of GDP, committing to the establishment of the Indonesian Banking Restructuring Agency (IBRA), and revoking the National Car status from an automobile manufacturer which was clearly importing from South Korea and sticking their label on the imported cars.

In the new term we built upon that. We abolished the Clove Marketing and Buffer Agency (BPPC), we cut subsidies to fuel and electricity, we passed the Anti-Bankruptcy and Anti-Monopoly laws, we abolished the requirement for state banks to donate 2.5% of its net profits to certain foundations. We also passed amendments to the Banking Law requiring banks to become more compliant with existing corporate governance regulations and indeed, we also settled with priavate banks which has received Bank Indonesia’s Liquidity Assistance (BLBI) to repay back the assistance.

By taking these steps we restore confidence to the market, stabilize and even reverse the value in decline of our currency, and allow for stability so economic activity can be carried on again.

By restoring confidence in the market and regaining its trust, we were also able to secure leeway from the IMF so that the we can take steps more relevant to the population at large. In May 1998 the Government enacted a stimulus package aimed at kickstarting economic activity most through among others infrastructure development, construction of junior high school buildings, construction of apartment towers, and repairs of ABRI housing. all the while accelerating labor-intensive rural projects with low import contents.

We were also able to take steps such as placing a rice subsidy in poverty-stricken areas, make permanent school supplementary meals, as well as distribute food, clothing, and sanitary kits at places of worship to the poor gathered there.

We also were able, even though this was originally marked for cessation by the IMF, to retain the IPTN and our other strategic industries.

Honorable Delegates,

All these policies and steps were taken not against any specific individual, institutional or political interests. They were taken in the national interests. As I said in my first address to the nation in December 1997, my first since taking office “We are all in this together”. And this means that all must play their part and part ways special favors and privileges if it means that the economy will recover from the crisis.

And having absorbed the impact and limit the damage of the Asian Financial Crisis through the steps we have taken, we did recover. Lay-offs in manufacturing peaked in the first quarter of 1998 then declined steadily until the middle of 1999 when the numbers of those recruited into manufacturing jobs exceeded those being laid off. By the end of 1999, production was rapidly increasing and consumption was strengthening that I felt confident enough that we no longer needed IMF aid. I officially declared the Asian Financial Crisis to be over in Indonesia when I delivered my speech on the eve of our Independence Day in 2000 but in reality it was over months before that.

We were the second in Asia to recover from the Asian Financial Crisis after South Korea and the first in Southeast Asia…”

There was applause from a majority of the MPR Delegates at this as the President took a sip of water.

“…to have done so. We should be proud but most importantly, we should be thankful.

Macroeconomics:
Mr. Chairman,

Having overcome the Asian Financial Crisis, our nation has gone on to record strong numbers. Our economy has registered levels of growth of on average over 9% per annum in 2000/2001, 2001/2002, and 2002/2003 fiscal years. Meanwhile post-crisis levels of inflation is around 5% over the 2000/2001, 2001/2002 and 2002/2003 fiscal years.

We have gotten such levels of economic growth as a result of strong consumption as people begin to earn income again and regain their confidence to spend money, the confidence of investors both domestic and foreign on the potential of our economy, as well as the Government’s investment in infrastructure to facilitate economic activity. While inflationary pressures have emerged as a result of the strong consumption demand generated by economic growth, the Government has been able to moderate it through monetary policy, through infrastructure helping to decrease the costs of transporting goods and services, and through confidence in our economy being reflected in the strength of our currency.

Our Gross Domestic Product is now slightly larger than that of Russia’s but still smaller than Australia’s and we are the largest economy in Southeast Asia. Beyond our region, our economy has now been grouped with that of Brazil’s, Russia’s, China’s and India’s as prominent emerging economy power.

Making Economic Policy:
To manage our economy, the Government continues to use familiar tools of economic policy.

We continue to use our national development planning model. We are at present about to complete the fourth year of the Seventh Five-Year Development Plan which is scheduled to be completed in the next term of government on 1st April 2004. At present, work to formulate the Eighth Five-Year Development Plan has also begun though its finalization and implementation will fall to the government of the next term.

At the annual rather than five yearly timeframe, the Government has continued to fulfill its constitutional responsibility of submitting Draft Budgets for the DPR’s approval; these budgets representing the priorities that the Government has determined for a certain year. The Government has continued to deliver budgets that seek to fund the Government’s agenda while being fiscally responsible with a slight surplus each year.

Mindful of the length and breadth of its agenda, the Government has placed emphasis on collecting more revenue. In 2001, the length of time for making Taxpayer Numbers Card has been capped at 2 days and new tax offices have been constructed in existing growth centers to better collect tax. If on 1st January 1998 we had 1.26 million registered taxpayers, I can report that as of 1st January 2003 we now have 3.75 million registered taxpayers, effectively tripling the number of taxpayers. We thank all members of the public who are taking advantage of these facilities to fulfill their obligations.

The Government has instituted standard operating procedures and a code of ethics for both the Directorate General of Taxation and the Directorate General of Customs and Excise to improve services in these two government agencies.

In addition to the Department of Finance to which the two aforementioned agencies belong to and the Department of Economics and National Development Planning, the Government also has Bank Indonesia at its disposal as far as making economic policy is concerned. Law no. 13 of 1968 regarding the Central Bank mandates two duties for Bank Indonesia: regulate, guard, and preserve the stability of the Rupiah’s value as well as to stimulate production and development as well as creating employment opportunities so that the people’s living standards can be improved.

On the stability of the Rupiah, we can say that it had a turbulent ride. From $1= Rp. 2,400 prior to the Asian Financial Crisis, it reached its lowest level at around $1= Rp. 4,800 at the 1998 MPR Session. But Alhamdullilah, that was as low as it got for the Rupiah. Much as our economy, our currency got stronger as the market gave it its vote of confidence. And much as our economy got out of the Asian Financial Crisis, our currency stabilized in the range of $1= Rp. 4,000-Rp. 4,100 throughout most of the current term.

By and large, the Bank Indonesia was part of the collective effort to restore confidence in our economy, and by extension in our currency. Given that our currency was floated in August 1997 and subject to market mechanism, it can be said that excepting an interest rate rise in July 2002 to stem a decline in the value of the Rupiah post-election, Bank Indonesia took little direct steps to intervene with the value of the Rupiah.

Where Bank Indonesia played its part in stabilizing the Rupiah was the role that it played to restore confidence in our banking sector. It played a leading role in amending the Banking Law to mandate that banks comply with existing regulations regarding good corporate governance and legal lending limits.

But Bank Indonesia played its largest role in formulating as well as enforcing the Government’s settlement with the private banking sector in September 1998. With this settlement, it was agreed that all BLBI assistance would cease at the end of the 1998/1999 fiscal year, the banks which has received BLBI assistance would begin repaying that assistance in installments over a period of five years at the end of each calendar year, and the Government would provide monitoring as the private banks improve their capital adequacy ratios.

A virtuous cycle developed. Because the Government came to this agreement the market continued to restore its confidence in the Indonesian economy, conditions in the economy including in the banking sector improved as result of this increased confidence, because conditions in the banking sector improved, banks were able to both begin improving their capital adequacy ratio whilst at the same time repaying their BLBI assistance.

As of today, I can announce that of the banks which has received BLBI assistance, a large majority have not only repaid their assistance, they have completed the repayment of their BLBI assistance. And those which have not completed their repayments are due to complete it at the end of the current financial year. At the same time a large majority of these same banks have now reached the pre-crisis capital adequacy ratio of 8%. The banking sector, much like the economy, has also recovered.”

There was an applause, most notably from the PKPI delegates at this last announcement.

“A healthier banking sector has allowed Bank Indonesia to focus on its other legally mandated role of stimulating production and development. As part of the January 2002 Policy Package, state banks have been instructed to give lenient credit and financing conditions for economic activity deemed to be a priority such as the manufacturing of electronic and automotive components, smelters of certain minerals, and sago plantations.

Beyond the aforementioned tools of economic policies, the Government has also resorted to policy packages in July 1998, March 1999, July 1999, March 2000, April 2001, and January 2002 to further encourage economic growth.

The journey is never smooth; the world economic slowdown in 2001, the 9/11 terrorist attacks and commodity prices are slowly rising, being driven by the demands of emerging economic powers such as ourselves. How we handle these developments will determine whether these developments are crises and opportunities.

On balance however, the Government will complete its current term with an economy that is stronger than at the beginning of the term.”

---
Okay. I’m not sure how many parts this will take but here we go…

If there’s one thing I learned about the Asian Financial Crisis in Indonesia based on doing this TL, I’d say that when things got bad, it got bad really quickly. You’re still at $1= Rp.3,700 at the end of November 1997 and then it was $1= Rp. 17,000 at the end of January 1998. I got lucky there was a gap for me have the POD in November 1997 (Ie. Soeharto’s exhaustion or minor stroke in OTL becomes his death ITTL) otherwise Try would have a more difficult time.

Yeah, the Krismon was really a harrowing, wild ride, indeed.
On the stability of the Rupiah, we can say that it had a turbulent ride. From $1= Rp. 2,400 prior to the Asian Financial Crisis, it reached its lowest level at around $1= Rp. 4,800 at the 1998 MPR Session. But Alhamdullilah, that was as low as it got for the Rupiah. Much as our economy, our currency got stronger as the market gave it its vote of confidence. And much as our economy got out of the Asian Financial Crisis, our currency stabilized in the range of $1= Rp. 4,000-Rp. 4,100 throughout most of the current term.
We still got a 54% increase from July 1997 to November 1997, but...
If there’s one thing I learned about the Asian Financial Crisis in Indonesia based on doing this TL, I’d say that when things got bad, it got bad really quickly. You’re still at $1= Rp.3,700 at the end of November 1997 and then it was $1= Rp. 17,000 at the end of January 1998. I got lucky there was a gap for me have the POD in November 1997 (Ie. Soeharto’s exhaustion or minor stroke in OTL becomes his death ITTL) otherwise Try would have a more difficult time.
Try managed to stem the devaluation to only 8% after he takes the helm of the presidency from Soeharto.

1st March 2003:
“Honorable Delegates, we now move on to the first item on our agenda, the Accountability Address for the term 1998-2003 which will be delivered by the President of the Republic of Indonesia”, announced Chairman of the MPR Matori Abdul Djalil “I invite you now, Mr. President to deliver that address.”

President Try Sutrisno stood up from his seat and walked over to the lectern followed by his two aides-de-camps. To hide the fact that he was nervous, the President looked at the ceiling as his aides-de-camp put his speech in the lectern.

The President put on his glasses and then stepped forward into the lectern, the two aides de camp standing behind him.

“Bismillahirohmanirohim,
Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

Mr. Chairman,
Vice Chairmen,
Honorable Delegates of the MPR,
Distinguished Guests,
Fellow Indonesians wherever you may be.

Let us first and foremost give our deepest thanks to Almighty God for it is by His will and grace that not only are we given health but that we, as a nation, are given the opportunity to witness the 2003 MPR General Session which the Chairman has just opened.

That the MPR is once again in session is something that we should all be thankful for. For the MPR itself, it means that the MPR is fulfilling its constitutional mandate of meeting at least once every five years in the nation’s capital so that it can exercise the sovereignty of the people. For our nation as a whole, it means that we are on the eve of completing another cycle in our nation’s political life.

It is not only the MPR that has come today to fufill its constitutional mandate. As President of the Republic of Indonesia, I am reminded when I open the 1945 Constitution and read its elucidation that “The President is appointed by the Assembly, and is subservient and accountable to the Assembly”. It is with this in mind, Honorable Delegates, that I come before you today with mere days left until my term of office expires to deliver my accountability address.

This will be the second accountability address that I am delivering to you. I delivered my first one exactly five years ago at the 1998 MPR General Session but I delivered that address for the most part on President Soeharto’s behalf, having succeeded into this office with three months left in that term of government.

This accountability address I am delivering to you will cover the current term of government which began when I was inaugurated at the 1998 MPR General Session.

Overcoming the Asian Financial Crisis:
Honorable Delegates,

Our current journey as a nation is inseparable from economic development. As a nation we have chosen to undertake economic development for the last three and a half decades out of a realization that independence will be for nothing if we do not improve the living standards of our people. And even though with the benefit of these three and a half decades of economic development, we are now able to assert ourselves in foreign policy and build our military, economic development and indeed our economy is still a matter of vital importance.

Indeed the first priority of the Government once this term had gotten under way was to address an economic crisis; the Asian Financial Crisis. This crisis, which first struck currencies in the region including ours had spread to become an economic crisis by March 1998. If left unchecked or not managed properly, it could not only threaten to undo the progress which we have made over the three decades of economic development.

In the first three months of my presidency, we had already begun taking steps to fulfill the conditions set down by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and restore confidence to the market by delivering a budget with a surplus of 1% of GDP, committing to the establishment of the Indonesian Banking Restructuring Agency (IBRA), and revoking the National Car status from an automobile manufacturer which was clearly importing from South Korea and sticking their label on the imported cars.
PKPB members are grumbling at this point
In the new term we built upon that. We abolished the Clove Marketing and Buffer Agency (BPPC), we cut subsidies to fuel and electricity, we passed the Anti-Bankruptcy and Anti-Monopoly laws, we abolished the requirement for state banks to donate 2.5% of its net profits to certain foundations. We also passed amendments to the Banking Law requiring banks to become more compliant with existing corporate governance regulations and indeed, we also settled with priavate banks which has received Bank Indonesia’s Liquidity Assistance (BLBI) to repay back the assistance.

By taking these steps we restore confidence to the market, stabilize and even reverse the value in decline of our currency, and allow for stability so economic activity can be carried on again.

By restoring confidence in the market and regaining its trust, we were also able to secure leeway from the IMF so that the we can take steps more relevant to the population at large. In May 1998 the Government enacted a stimulus package aimed at kickstarting economic activity most through among others infrastructure development, construction of junior high school buildings, construction of apartment towers, and repairs of ABRI housing. all the while accelerating labor-intensive rural projects with low import contents.

We were also able to take steps such as placing a rice subsidy in poverty-stricken areas, make permanent school supplementary meals, as well as distribute food, clothing, and sanitary kits at places of worship to the poor gathered there.

We also were able, even though this was originally marked for cessation by the IMF, to retain the IPTN and our other strategic industries.

Honorable Delegates,

All these policies and steps were taken not against any specific individual, institutional or political interests. They were taken in the national interests. As I said in my first address to the nation in December 1997, my first since taking office “We are all in this together”. And this means that all must play their part and part ways special favors and privileges if it means that the economy will recover from the crisis.

And having absorbed the impact and limit the damage of the Asian Financial Crisis through the steps we have taken, we did recover. Lay-offs in manufacturing peaked in the first quarter of 1998 then declined steadily until the middle of 1999 when the numbers of those recruited into manufacturing jobs exceeded those being laid off. By the end of 1999, production was rapidly increasing and consumption was strengthening that I felt confident enough that we no longer needed IMF aid. I officially declared the Asian Financial Crisis to be over in Indonesia when I delivered my speech on the eve of our Independence Day in 2000 but in reality it was over months before that.

We were the second in Asia to recover from the Asian Financial Crisis after South Korea and the first in Southeast Asia…”

There was applause from a majority of the MPR Delegates at this as the President took a sip of water.

“…to have done so. We should be proud but most importantly, we should be thankful.

Macroeconomics:
Mr. Chairman,

Having overcome the Asian Financial Crisis, our nation has gone on to record strong numbers. Our economy has registered levels of growth of on average over 9% per annum in 2000/2001, 2001/2002, and 2002/2003 fiscal years. Meanwhile post-crisis levels of inflation is around 5% over the 2000/2001, 2001/2002 and 2002/2003 fiscal years.

We have gotten such levels of economic growth as a result of strong consumption as people begin to earn income again and regain their confidence to spend money, the confidence of investors both domestic and foreign on the potential of our economy, as well as the Government’s investment in infrastructure to facilitate economic activity. While inflationary pressures have emerged as a result of the strong consumption demand generated by economic growth, the Government has been able to moderate it through monetary policy, through infrastructure helping to decrease the costs of transporting goods and services, and through confidence in our economy being reflected in the strength of our currency.

Our Gross Domestic Product is now slightly larger than that of Russia’s but still smaller than Australia’s and we are the largest economy in Southeast Asia. Beyond our region, our economy has now been grouped with that of Brazil’s, Russia’s, China’s and India’s as prominent emerging economy power.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the size of the GDP at this point. Perhaps there could be a table that compares OTL and TTL Indonesia's GDP by year on the notes of a future update.
Making Economic Policy:
To manage our economy, the Government continues to use familiar tools of economic policy.

We continue to use our national development planning model. We are at present about to complete the fourth year of the Seventh Five-Year Development Plan which is scheduled to be completed in the next term of government on 1st April 2004. At present, work to formulate the Eighth Five-Year Development Plan has also begun though its finalization and implementation will fall to the government of the next term.

At the annual rather than five yearly timeframe, the Government has continued to fulfill its constitutional responsibility of submitting Draft Budgets for the DPR’s approval; these budgets representing the priorities that the Government has determined for a certain year. The Government has continued to deliver budgets that seek to fund the Government’s agenda while being fiscally responsible with a slight surplus each year.

Mindful of the length and breadth of its agenda, the Government has placed emphasis on collecting more revenue. In 2001, the length of time for making Taxpayer Numbers Card has been capped at 2 days and new tax offices have been constructed in existing growth centers to better collect tax. If on 1st January 1998 we had 1.26 million registered taxpayers, I can report that as of 1st January 2003 we now have 3.75 million registered taxpayers, effectively tripling the number of taxpayers. We thank all members of the public who are taking advantage of these facilities to fulfill their obligations.

The Government has instituted standard operating procedures and a code of ethics for both the Directorate General of Taxation and the Directorate General of Customs and Excise to improve services in these two government agencies.

In addition to the Department of Finance to which the two aforementioned agencies belong to and the Department of Economics and National Development Planning, the Government also has Bank Indonesia at its disposal as far as making economic policy is concerned. Law no. 13 of 1968 regarding the Central Bank mandates two duties for Bank Indonesia: regulate, guard, and preserve the stability of the Rupiah’s value as well as to stimulate production and development as well as creating employment opportunities so that the people’s living standards can be improved.

By and large, the Bank Indonesia was part of the collective effort to restore confidence in our economy, and by extension in our currency. Given that our currency was floated in August 1997 and subject to market mechanism, it can be said that excepting an interest rate rise in July 2002 to stem a decline in the value of the Rupiah post-election, Bank Indonesia took little direct steps to intervene with the value of the Rupiah.

Where Bank Indonesia played its part in stabilizing the Rupiah was the role that it played to restore confidence in our banking sector. It played a leading role in amending the Banking Law to mandate that banks comply with existing regulations regarding good corporate governance and legal lending limits.

But Bank Indonesia played its largest role in formulating as well as enforcing the Government’s settlement with the private banking sector in September 1998. With this settlement, it was agreed that all BLBI assistance would cease at the end of the 1998/1999 fiscal year, the banks which has received BLBI assistance would begin repaying that assistance in installments over a period of five years at the end of each calendar year, and the Government would provide monitoring as the private banks improve their capital adequacy ratios.

A virtuous cycle developed. Because the Government came to this agreement the market continued to restore its confidence in the Indonesian economy, conditions in the economy including in the banking sector improved as result of this increased confidence, because conditions in the banking sector improved, banks were able to both begin improving their capital adequacy ratio whilst at the same time repaying their BLBI assistance.

As of today, I can announce that of the banks which has received BLBI assistance, a large majority have not only repaid their assistance, they have completed the repayment of their BLBI assistance. And those which have not completed their repayments are due to complete it at the end of the current financial year. At the same time a large majority of these same banks have now reached the pre-crisis capital adequacy ratio of 8%. The banking sector, much like the economy, has also recovered.”

There was an applause, most notably from the PKPI delegates at this last announcement.

“A healthier banking sector has allowed Bank Indonesia to focus on its other legally mandated role of stimulating production and development. As part of the January 2002 Policy Package, state banks have been instructed to give lenient credit and financing conditions for economic activity deemed to be a priority such as the manufacturing of electronic and automotive components, smelters of certain minerals, and sago plantations.

Beyond the aforementioned tools of economic policies, the Government has also resorted to policy packages in July 1998, March 1999, July 1999, March 2000, April 2001, and January 2002 to further encourage economic growth.

The journey is never smooth; the world economic slowdown in 2001, the 9/11 terrorist attacks and commodity prices are slowly rising, being driven by the demands of emerging economic powers such as ourselves. How we handle these developments will determine whether these developments are crises and opportunities.

On balance however, the Government will complete its current term with an economy that is stronger than at the beginning of the term.”

---
Okay. I’m not sure how many parts this will take but here we go…
Well, it's Try's speech so it should be....6 parts since his name has 2 threes /s... Well take your time, since I am expecting perhaps some surprises (by the means of last additions) in the speech.
Yup, and the actions of Soeharto doesn't really help the matters on hand.

Well there's another update being wrapped up.

Our economy has registered levels of growth of on average over 9% per annum in 2000/2001, 2001/2002, and 2002/2003 fiscal years.
In many countries, speaking of growth was the same as speaking of chinese rates, such as 8% growth per annum.

Maybe ITTL we are speaking of indonesian rates.