Indonesia ATL: The Presidency of Try Sutrisno (1997-)

Regarding the oil exporter-importer shift, i guess China, Russia and USA took note of this and maybe started their moves to secure a new... partner? follower?

An interesting scenario to play around.

Regarding the oil exporter-importer shift, i guess China, Russia and USA took note of this and maybe started their moves to secure a new... partner? follower?

An interesting scenario to play around.
This angle I have not thought about. Are you saying China, Russia, and USA will try to secure Indonesia's support?

At the moment, the impeding shift to being an importer is just a consequence of Indonesia's economy doing better than ITTL and there is more oil and fuel consumed.

IOTL in 2000, Lee Teng hui sidelined James Soong and made him leave the Kuomintang and Lien Chan became the KMT presidential candidate. @GSD310 mind sharing again on what changed ITTL?
I thought I had written something up about Soong's rise somewhere in the TL but I guess not. But found the following from my notes:

-Yevgeny Primakov doesn't get removed as PM of Russia as in OTL.
-Same as OTL, Chinese Embassy in Belgrade accidentally bombed. VP Hu Jintao reads out Chinese Government's response to the bombing. Statement stronger than OTL because of Primakov offering support and Jiang/China being open to Primakov's anti-US, multipolar stance in its response.
-July 1999, Lee Teng Hui avoids making his Taiwan has “state-to-state” relations with China sensing that the mainland’s nationalism “has been sparked” and that Taiwan has to play it safe.
-Internal wrangling about who KMT’s presidential candidate will bedrags on till end of year. Soong popular politician, VP Lien Chan not popular but incumbent VP. Both Soong and VP Lien Chan’s stance on relations with mainland not satisfactory for Lee. Soong mobilizes supporters to demonstrate against Lee. Demonstrators say blood will be on Lee’s hands if KMT loses.
-Soong named presidential candidate in Dec 1999. Soong names Lien Chan running mate for a KMT united front. Soong said he wants close economic relations with the mainland not independence throughout campaign.
-Lee seems unenthusiastic about Soong-Lien. A leak alleging corruption in Soong’s part (happened late 1999 in OTL) during the election campaign is thought to be his doing.

I thought I had written something up about Soong's rise somewhere in the TL but I guess not. But found the following from my notes:

-Yevgeny Primakov doesn't get removed as PM of Russia as in OTL.
-Same as OTL, Chinese Embassy in Belgrade accidentally bombed. VP Hu Jintao reads out Chinese Government's response to the bombing. Statement stronger than OTL because of Primakov offering support and Jiang/China being open to Primakov's anti-US, multipolar stance in its response.
-July 1999, Lee Teng Hui avoids making his Taiwan has “state-to-state” relations with China sensing that the mainland’s nationalism “has been sparked” and that Taiwan has to play it safe.
-Internal wrangling about who KMT’s presidential candidate will bedrags on till end of year. Soong popular politician, VP Lien Chan not popular but incumbent VP. Both Soong and VP Lien Chan’s stance on relations with mainland not satisfactory for Lee. Soong mobilizes supporters to demonstrate against Lee. Demonstrators say blood will be on Lee’s hands if KMT loses.
-Soong named presidential candidate in Dec 1999. Soong names Lien Chan running mate for a KMT united front. Soong said he wants close economic relations with the mainland not independence throughout campaign.
-Lee seems unenthusiastic about Soong-Lien. A leak alleging corruption in Soong’s part (happened late 1999 in OTL) during the election campaign is thought to be his doing.
Thank you! That's such a well thought out series of events!

I just thought like Lee Teng hui had nothing to lose since he was stepping down anyway and so he just said what he wanted, then sabotaged the KMT and left them in flames in the 2000 election...(oh yes, I'm 100% sure Lee leaked Soong's scandal to help Chen win)

This angle I have not thought about. Are you saying China, Russia, and USA will try to secure Indonesia's support?
I would not express it so kindly as securing Indonesia support, but basically that's the idea. When they notice how Indonesia is increasing its domestic demand, maybe they're planning to use it to join their respective clubs :biggrin:

187: Targets On A List Part 1: Non-Compliant Forest Concessionaires
27th July 2002:
In a joint press conference at the Presidential Palace, Minister of Forestry and Environment Barnabas Suebu, Inspector General of ABRI Ryamizard Ryacudu, and Governor of Riau Dunidja announced that with the assistance of ABRI, the government has closed down 23 illegal sawmills in Riau’s Bukit Tiga Puluh National Park. Barnabas reported that 13 of the sawmills was backed by ABRI members while another 5 were backed by elements within the Department of Forestry and the Environment.

When asked if non-compliant forest concessionaires should consider this a “warm-up”, Barnabas said that “That they can take whatever lesson they want from this event but that hopefully it will be the right one”. Ryamizard on the other hand was more blunt saying that people can’t hide behind their links with the military when it comes to forestry issues.

28th July 2002:
At the PKPB National Headquarters, Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto met with a delegation from the Indonesian Forestry Businessmen Association (APHI) and the Indonesian Panelwood Association (APKINDO), both of which were led by Bob Hasan. After the meeting, Tutut held a press conference to talk about what she had discussed.

“The PKPB regrets the hostility being shown our forest concessionaires, as though they are guilty until proven innocent”, read out Tutut “The PKPB regrets even more the intimidatory atmosphere the government has created at yesterday’s press conference.”

Playing Tennis with civil servants of the State Secretariat, Edi Sudrajat was asked about Tutut’s comment and scoffed.

“Then comply with the rules and regulations, there’s no point saying you feel intimidated or that you are guilty until proven innocent if you’re not compliant”, said Edi “The avenue’s been provided to comply, take advantage of it.”

29th July 2002:
At the VIP Room of a Hotel Restaurant in South Jakarta, Owner of Barito Pacific Prajogo Pangestu waited patiently for his lunch partner and did not resist from making fun of his tardiness when he arrived.

“You’re definitely an official now, right down to the late arrival”, he said as clapped Minister of Trade Anthony Salim on the shoulder.

The two talked about business, before finally getting to the topic at hand.

“President Try sends his regards”, said Anthony.

“He says that even as he gets ready to take people’s livelihoods away from them”, scoffed Prajogo.

“Is that what they’ve been telling you in Tutut’s camp?” asked Anthony “At least tell me they said something about trying to…you know…play by the rules.”

“We’re not fully compliant but so is everybody else”, protested Prajogo “This is more about the fact that I have supported Tutut and the PKPB more than anything, I’m sure of it.”

“Well maybe it's because all of you forest concessionaires who have sided with Tutut are not compliant” said Anthony “Salim Group’s concession is now in compliance, so has Sinar Mas; now it’s your turn. You're the biggest one, if you comply, everybody in your camp and everybody else who hasn't complied will comply too.”

“Is that why he sent you to me?” asked Prajogo “If I go along with what the President asks what will happen?”

“You’ll continue to hold on to your concessions, you don’t have to worry about it being chopped and cut up; only the new concession-holders have a cap on the amount of concessions they can hold” said Anthony “Other than that no special favors I’m afraid, you have to pay taxes and the like.”

“And if I don’t?” asked Prajogo.

“Your concessions gets revoked, it gets taken over by the government, it then either gets managed by Perhutani or it gets auctioned out by the BKPM to domestic or foreign would-be concessionaires”, explained Anthony.

“Good luck managing my concessions if it really will come to that”, said Prajogo "There's 6 million hectares' worth of area."

“I wouldn’t underestimate him if I were you”, cautioned Anthony “He did get everyone who got BLBI assistance during the Asian Financial Crisis to pay up and he did get Freeport to start fulfilling their part of the contract.”

There was silence in the room as the food was served and then the two continued when the waiters left.

“There is only 7.5 months left in the term”, argued Prajogo “Why do this now? Why not leave it till the next presidential term?”

“And in the meantime hope that Tutut emerges victorious?” asked Anthony wrily.

“I think she has a great chance”, said Prajogo “And I’m sure I’m not the only one thinking like that.”

Anthony smiled at this.

“We’re both businessmen and we didn’t get here by seeing things the same way as everybody else”, began Anthony “Now what everybody else seems to be thinking is that after the election, there’s a chance that we could be looking at President Tutut soon; And that now, all you concessionaires and anyone whose pockets got lighter during this presidency have to do is wait until the President is finished.”

“That’s not far from the truth”, said Prajogo.

“But look at it this way, what if it’s the other way around?” asked Anthony “It’s Tutut that’s nearly finished, always has been since the moment Try took office. What if when she became the Chairwoman of Golkar, it’s not that Try’s took weak to stop her but that Tutut got a lucky break? It’s Tutut that has the most on the line at the 2003 MPR General Session. If she doesn’t get elected then the Soeharto Era officially belongs in the history books.”

Prajogo thought about it.

“So you’re saying that given Try’s the one that still has the better chance, though not everyone can see that better chance, that it would be wise for me to not to put my eggs in one basket?” asked Prajogo.

30th July 2002:
Minister of Home Affairs Harsudiono Hartas came out of a meeting with the President. Harsudiono said he reported that the Provincial Level DPRDs have all been sworn in and that their task over the next two weeks will be to select the Regional Delegates who will be attending the 2003 MPR General Session.

At the Department of Forestry and Environment, Prajogo Pangestu arrived with literally a busful of staff members all of whom looked sleep-deprived. Sitting across the table from Barnabas Suebu and Head of BAPPEDAL Erna Witoelar, Prajogo began disclosing matters such as:

*Underreporting forest fires which occurred in his forest concessions.
*Underreporting log production in his forest concessions so as to pay less royalty.
*Overstating the planting of trees in his timber plantations so as to obtain more Reforestation Fund.

Holding a joint press conference afterwards, Barnabas refused to disclose figures but said that his department and Prajogo’s staff are working on a plan and timetable for Prajogo to begin complying with forestry-related regulations. For his part, Prajogo said that he wants to cooperate with the government and urges other concession holders to do the same.

31st July 2002:
In a surreal sight, owners, executives, managers, and staffers from various forestry concession holders who have yet to comply descended on the Department of Forestry and Environment Building. All coming to disclose non-compliance that they intend to fix, all coming in the wake of Prajogo’s arrival yesterday. Even Bob Hasan came with a few staffers to declare where he has not complied and his plans for rectifying that non-compliance.

When asked by the press what had happened, Bob only said that “The Government got the biggest tree in the forest and that has caused all the other trees to fall along with him” in reference to the government’s success to convince Prajogo to comply. As he disappeared into his car, Bob Hasan was heard muttering “Things will be corrected after next March”.

That night, President Try Sutrisno met with Barnabas Suebu along with State Minister of State-Owned Enterprises Cacuk Sudarijanto, Commander of ABRI Wiranto, Head of BKPM Mari Pangestu, Head of BAPPEDAL Erna Witoelar, Attorney General Soedjono C. Atmonegoro, and Cabinet Secretary Hayono Isman. Barnabas reported that he is satisfied with the response given by the concessionaires over the last 12 months and especially in the last few weeks.

Erna Witoelar and Soedjono suggested, and all in the room agreed, that follow up will be required to ensure that the concessionaires will make good on what they agreed to. The President agreed to this and puts Lt. Gen. (Pol.) (Ret.) Bibit Samad Rianto, the Inspector General of the Department of the Forestry and Environment in charge of seeing this procss through.

1st August 2002:
State Secretary Edi Sudrajat and Minister of Finance Mar’ie Muhammad held a joint press conference after meeting the President. Mar’ie said how much extra revenue the State Budget will gain from royalties previously unpaid but which will now be paid by the forest concessionaires as they begin to comply with existing are still being calculated.

During his turn, Edi spoke about the meaning of the President’s actions.

“This President has a track record of taking on vested interests…bank owners, foreign mining giants, and now forest concessionaires”, he said “He does it not because of hostility or because of any prejudice but because it is the right thing to do for the country.”

“Lots of talk around town that the PKPI probably could have won if the forest concessionaires had promised compliance before the election. Do you wish that he had done something like this close to the election?” asked a member of the press.

“The President is a statesman not a politician”, said Edi “Politicians time their stunts to the elections, a statesman’s timing is the national interest.”

“Who will be next on the President’s hitlist, Mr. State Secretary?” asked another member of the press “Any vested interests or enemies of the state he’s going after next?”

“Come on, it’s not like he sits around with a group of people figuring out which target on a list to hit first”, Edi replied.

2nd August 2002:
For his post-Friday prayer lunch, the President sat around a table accompanied by State Minister of National Security Soerjadi, Wiranto, Chief of BAKIN Ari Sudewo, and Chief of Police Ansyaad Mbai. He had a piece of paper with names in his hand.

“All of the names on that list are Jemaah Islamiyah operatives, we have been intensifying surveillance on them since 9/11”, said Ari Sudewo "And we're just about ready to hit them."

“The only thing we need now is your order, Mr. President”, added Wiranto.

“You have it”, replied the President looking at both Wiranto and Ansyaad’s directions “You may go ahead with the operation.”

---
On the 23 illegal sawmills in Riau and its friends in high places https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...=23+sawmills+riau&pg=PA15&printsec=frontcover

Prajogo Pangestu’s OTL significance is that he had the largest forest concession in Indonesia circa early 90s. His company is Barito Pacific. https://www.google.co.id/books/edit...manis+hektar+hph&pg=PA115&printsec=frontcover

In OTL, Anthony Salim’s father Sudono Salim (aka. Liem Sioe Liong) and Prajogo Pangestu had the distinction of being two of Soeharto’s closest crony. Liem and Prajogo were wealthy enough to bail out Soeharto’s foundations when a bank the foundations invested in was about to go under.

The non-compliance Prajogo reported to the government ITTL is based on https://nasional.tempo.co/read/29794/prajogo-akan-segera-diperiksa-sebagai-tersangka

So who won in the exchange between Try’s Government with the forest concessionaires? You can say that Try won because having taken on the BLBI recipients and Freeport, he’s probably got the intimidation factor going for him in the eyes of the forest concessionaires and that's why there's no drawn-out negotiations when it came to their turn to fall in line.

You can say that Try didn’t win, it’s just the case that even Tutut supporters like Prajogo are entertaining the possibility of Try winning re-election and hedging their bets.

Or maybe, as Bob Hasan is saying, it’s difficult to continue non-compliance with existing forestry regulations after the government got the biggest concessionaire chose to “surrender” to it but that everyone is still hoping for a Tutut victory and not having to comply with the government’s regulations.

Goddamn Salim was the MVP of this chapter. He went straight for the head and succeeded. Chipping on whatever support Tutut has in businessmen, not completely but should sow some doubt.

Try stroke a gold mine with him in his camp. Convincing the biggest cronies of past era might have been almost impossible without having one or several of your own.

Last edited:
188: Targets On A List Part 2: Jemaah Islamiyah
3rd August 2002:
A meeting held at Cendana Street attended by Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto, Leader of the PKPB in the DPR Hartono, Prabowo Subianto, Secretary of the PKPB ZA Maulani, and Treasurer of the PKPB Akbar Tandjung turned tense. Tutut was heard complaining about how “we are not as strong as we seem” in the wake of the forest concessionaires’ decision to cooperate with the government. Prabowo calmed Tutut down saying that there are still gaps in the government’s rank and file to be exploited.

While Tutut expressed her petulance privately, Chairwoman of the PNI Megawati Soekarnoputri showed it publicly. Returning from her weekend shopping, Megawati found herself being asked by members of the press stationed outside her house about what the President had done with the forest concessionaires. In an awkward exchange, Megawati came across as stubborn as she refused to acknowledged what the President had done.

5th August 2002:
President Try Sutrisno, accompanied by Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita and State Secretary Edi Sudrajat, today placed a call to Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea Mekere Morauta. The President congratulated Morauta on securing a parliamentary majority. Morauta thanked the President and said that he intends to visit Indonesia and Australia before the month is out. The President welcomed this but urged Morauta to visit Australia first before visiting Indonesia.

“Morauta will keep everybody happy”, said Ginandjar after the President got off the phone “The Australians find him to be politically reliable and the fact that Ted Diro is not part of his government will keep Canberra happy, but at the same time he wants to strengthen Papua New Guinea’s economic ties with us.”

The next call the President placed was to Prime Minister of Australia Peter Costello who was accompanied by Australian Minister for Foreign Affairs Philip Ruddock and Australian Minister for Defense Peter Reith. Try and Costello both expressed their pleasure that Morauta had re-elected. Try and Costello also discussed the comments made by Reith about Indonesia possibly having an interest in the election results in Papua New Guinea.

“We are willing to take this as a misunderstood concern on the part of a senior figure in your government and hope that we can all put this behind us, Mr. Prime Minister”, said Try “I think our conduct during the Papua New Guinean Elections should be satisfactory to Australia that we don’t intend any harm.”

“We appreciate the comments that you have just made, Mr. President”, replied Costello over the phone “We appreciate that you have addressed our concerns.”

Try nodded but gritted his teeth. He had not liked Reith’s comments about Indonesia was hoping for a certain result and perhaps trying to manipulate the elections to go a certain way. Before he knew it, he had replied to Costello with a little bit of a “tone” in his voice.

“Yes”, said Try “And I hope that when Indonesia has concerns that requires Australia’s attention, Australia will take it seriously and address it with the same seriousness that Indonesia has shown during the Papua New Guinean Election and its aftermath.”

“And what concerns would those be?” came Reith’s voice over the speaker, also with a “tone”.

Try then turned to Edi. Edi was surprised to see his normally good-natured friend looking like he was about to tear someone apart.

“Orang ini ngajak gelut.”, he said to Edi, veins bulging in his head.

“I don’t understand you, Mr. President”, said Reith “You’ll have to speak in English”.

Try was about to speak but Ginandjar and Ruddock butted in. The two foreign ministers plus Costello summarized the discussion diplomatically before hanging up.

6th August 2002:
At the Department of Education this morning, the President and Minister of Education Fakry Gaffar opened the Department of Education’s Work Meeting. In his speech, the President said that he believes that the Department of Education will be on track to achieving Compulsory 9-Year Education by the end of Repelita VII by reaching 100% enrollment for teenagers aged between 13-15. The President however has some additional notes to make.

*Based on his visit to Bali last month, the President called on the Department of Education to crackdown on corrupt officials making it difficult for parents to enroll their children and trying to make a profit from it. Those trying to make a profit from parents enrolling their children are not only corrupt but also getting in the way of the government’s effort to improve access to education for the people. He hopes that this will receive special attention from the Department of Education.

*He calls on the Department of Education to move faster on providing access to kindergartens by constructing extra classrooms on the existing state primary schools for that purpose and recruiting kindergarten teachers. The President said that there was no excuse why 100% enrollment for kindergarten age children should take long because from a physical infrastructure stand point, they are only adding a classroom to existing buildings instead of building everything from scratch.

He reminds the Department that expanding access to kindergarten is crucial for the development of Indonesia’s human resources, saying that children who attended kindergarten will do better in primary school.

7th August 2002:
It seemed like a normal working day in Indonesia. People going about their daily business, the Indonesian economy hustling and bustling for another day as it contributes to the nation’s GDP.

By mid-morning, news outlets began reporting of shootouts between the Police’s Mobile Brigade (Brimob) and “unidentified individuals” in five different rural locations across Indonesia. The Brimob allowed the television networks to cover shootouts but would not disclose who or what they are shooting against. The locals, having been told to stay away, could only say that they did not know what was going on. The only thing the networks could convey to their audience was that the Brimob personnel were being shot at by individuals who seemed to be hiding inside houses.

One by one however, these individuals fell to the Brimob by way of a sniper’s well-placed shot to the head or, when it became apparent that some of the individuals were proving more resilient than expected, an assault team being sent into the house where they were shooting the Brimob forces from. By mid-afternoon the Brimob had transitioned from shooting to cleaning up. Ambulances were dispatched to the respective scene as bodybags were loaded onto it. In one location, a living person with a nasty wound to his leg was loaded up. He was heard to yell “Down with Try Sutrisno’s Anti-Islamic Regime” before the doors were closed.

Sunset saw State Minister of National Security Soerjadi, Commander of ABRI Wiranto, Chief of BAKIN Ari Sudewo, Chief of Police Ansyaad Mbai, Deputy Chief of Police I Made Mangku Pastika, and Commander of Brimob Jusuf Manggabarani arrive at the Presidential Palace. Not long thereafter, these six men came out their meeting with the President.

Soerjadi, as Head of the Anti-Terror Taskforce, announced that the Police had mounted operations against operatives of the terrorist group Jemaah Islamiyah. Ansyaad Mbai said that in the operations, the following were either shot dead or apprehended:

*Dulmatin, an associate of Imam Samudra and an electronics expert who had trained with Al Qaeda. Shot dead.
*Abu Dujana, known to be a bomb assembly expert. Shot dead.
*Rois, Hasan, Apuy, and Sogir, a cell of four terrorists. All shot dead.
*Umar Patek, associate of Abu Dujana and Jemaah Islamiyah strategist. Apprehended.
*Rusman Gunawan, brother of Hambali. Apprehended. He was the one seen cursing the President.

Ari Sudewo said that the threat these people were represent were serious. He showed photographs of embassies, hotels, and shopping centers in Jakarta found in Rois, Hasan, Apuy and Sogir’s hideout. Though these terrorists have been driven underground, Ari Sudewo argued, it is clear that they are plotting. Ari Sudewo concluded by saying that based on the surveillance BAKIN has conducted since 9/11, it can be confirmed that Abu Bakar Bashir, Hambali, and Noordin M. Top are not in Indonesia otherwise the three would also be targeted.

Wiranto concluded the press conference by thanking the Police, in particular Brimob, for its efforts and declared that a severe blow has been dealt to the Extreme Right in Indonesia.

8th August 2002:
Secretary of the PKPB ZA Maulani, appearing in an interview on SCTV, said that yesterday’s events shows just how much national sovereignty has been compromised and that the operations yesterday was conducted under American pressure. He concludes by saying that this pressure is part of the campaign conducted by the West against Islam since the previous September.

Minister of Home Affairs Harsudiono Hartas, Minister of Legal Affairs Marzuki Darusman, Minister of Religion Quraish Shihab, and Attorney General Soedjono C. Atmonegoro emerged out of a meeting with the President. They announced the following:

*Soedjono said that Umar Patek and Rusman Gunawan will be prosecuted under the terms of Presidential Resolution 11 of 1963 on the Abolition of Subversive Activities. At the same time, Soedjono calls the DPR to pass the Anti-Terrorism Bill into Law soon.

*Quraish announced that as a follow-up to yesterday’s operation, the Department of Religion will be closing down Al Mu’min Islamic Boarding School in Ngruki, Central Java established by Abu Bakar Bashir and his associates in the 1980s.

*Marzuki said that using the authority given to him by the Immigration Law, with the agreement of relevant agencies, and the approval of the President, he has placed Noordin M. Top, Hambali, and Abu Bakar Bashir on an arrivals blacklist. Marzuki said the grounds for this is the fact that all three has shown hostility towards the Republic of Indonesia while they are abroad and, in Hambali and Bashir’s case, has the potential to disturb stability and security if they are allowed back in the country.

*The final announcement belonged to Harsudiono.

“The President has invoked article 27 of Government Regulation 18 of 1986 which gives the government authority to ban organizations which advocates, develops, and disseminates ideologies, ideas, or other teachings which are contradictory to Pancasila and the 1945 Constitution”, said Harsudiono “He has determined that Jemaah Islamiyah fulfills this criterion, that the Jemaah Islamiyah is hereby dissolved as an organization and is hereafter declared to be a banned organization.”

---
Translation of the Indonesian comment Try said to Edi: “This guy is asking for a fight.”

That the operation against Jemaah Islamiyah is being conducted on 7th August is significant. 7th August 1949 is the the date that the Darul Islam, the first of its kind as far as movements seeking to establish Islamic rule in Indonesia, is concerned.

Bashir's Islamic boarding school is still operational to this day in OTL. It's "About Us" page lists Bashir as one of the school's founders https://www.almukminngruki.or.id/index.php/profil/8-sejarah-singkat

Ironically, considering that Try nearly came to (verbal) blows with Australia’s Minister for Defense, he took out Rois, Hasan, Apuy, and Sogir, who in OTL, planned the bombing of the Australian Embassy in Jakarta in 2004.

The regulation cited by Harsudiono Hartas can be found here https://id.wikisource.org/wiki/Peraturan_Pemerintah_Republik_Indonesia_Nomor_18_Tahun_1986

If it was just a case of “disturbing order”, organizations can be frozen first before being disbanded if they are found to have not brought themselves in line. But organizations that try to spread ideologies contrary to Pancasila can be disbanded straightaway.

Such hostility from Keith... Does he had forest concessions cut for him to be so offensive? Ginandjar will have a tough time with the aussies.

Such hostility from Keith... Does he had forest concessions cut for him to be so offensive? Ginandjar will have a tough time with the aussies.
“Reith is my counterpart and it’s not surprising that he would do something like this, Mr. President”, said Wismoyo “Putting aside his personal sentiments, there’s at least a few reasons why he’s behaving in this manner.

First and obvious one, he’s wary of us strengthening ABRI and being able to spend more on defense;

Second reason, Australia has a deployment in the Solomon Islands since 2000 to handle of the unrest there; it has a deployment in Sierra Leone as UN Peacekeepers because Kofi Annan doesn’t like us; and then of course there’s Afghanistan. In other words, Australia is sending personnel and materiel across the globe just as we’re strengthening ABRI. I think they’re feeling a bit vulnerable.

Third reason, he fears that Indonesia’s influence in Papua New Guinea would increase at the expense of Australia’s.”
The quote by Wismoyo above from Chapter 185.

I think probably what I want to highlight with the hostility from Reith is that not everybody is welcoming of Indonesia's ITTL strength for varying reasons. Australia, Malaysia, Khin Nyunt's Myanmar, Cambodia, New Zealand, and probably others that hadn't occurred to me yet

Goddamn Salim was the MVP of this chapter. He went straight for the head and succeeded. Chipping on whatever support Tutut has in businessmen, not completely but should sow some doubt.

Try stroke a gold mine with him in his camp. Convincing the biggest cronies of past era might have been almost impossible without having one or several of your own.
This is a great way to describe Salim’s lobbying of Prajogo.

I think ITTL he was always going to end up supporting Try. In OTL, he is on the record as urging Soeharto to pick Try for a second time in 1998 as VP rather than Habibie.

Last edited:
So Australia and New Zealand seeing Indonesia as threat on their geopolitics alongside China. Expert on Geopolitics always saw Australia and New Zealand kind of short thinker with how they describe their white book of defense. Logically there are no way Indonesia allied with China unless extreme circumtances. They have chance to join power facing China but rebuke and seeing Indonesia as threat. Intruthly middle men like Japan or US needed . Well with DPJ regime only US can act as middle men. It seems they to reactivated 1st Fleet

I think probably what I want to highlight with the hostility from Reith is that not everybody is welcoming of Indonesia's ITTL strength for varying reasons. Australia, Malaysia, Khin Nyunt's Myanmar, Cambodia, New Zealand, and probably others that hadn't occurred to me yet
Half of those countries have China as the main reason for hostility :biggrin:

So Australia and New Zealand seeing Indonesia as threat on their geopolitics alongside China. Expert on Geopolitics always saw Australia and New Zealand kind of short thinker with how they describe their white book of defense. Logically there are no way Indonesia allied with China unless extreme circumtances. They have chance to join power facing China but rebuke and seeing Indonesia as threat. Intruthly middle men like Japan or US needed . Well with DPJ regime only US can act as middle men. It seems they to reactivated 1st Fleet
I think Australia does. The word ambivalent comes to mind when it comes to ITTL Indonesia-Australia relationship. If you look at how they’ve interacted the PM of Australia and the Aussie Foreign Minister doesn’t have a problem with Indonesia. It’s the Aussie Defense Minister that does.

And this does give a dilemma for Try. The main security threat is China, he wants to focus on China, and behind his back, Australia is showing suspicion towards Indonesia. Is it safe for Try to turn his back on Australia (and Oceania to some extent) to focus on China? That’s going to be a question Try needs to find an answer for.

Half of those countries have China as the main reason for hostility :biggrin:
Lol. In defense of Malaysia I’d say they’re more anti-Indonesia rather than pro-China.

I think Australia does. The word ambivalent comes to mind when it comes to ITTL Indonesia-Australia relationship. If you look at how they’ve interacted the PM of Australia and the Aussie Foreign Minister doesn’t have a problem with Indonesia. It’s the Aussie Defense Minister that does.

And this does give a dilemma for Try. The main security threat is China, he wants to focus on China, and behind his back, Australia is showing suspicion towards Indonesia. Is it safe for Try to turn his back on Australia (and Oceania to some extent) to focus on China? That’s going to be a question Try needs to find an answer for.
Try must never losing cautious against our Southern neighbour. The best way for Indonesia are using both Western and Russian Block Weapon System. Likebi said to minimize the tension US need reactivated 1st Fleet. Just don't forget NZ part of Anzac. They have clear defence pact.

Lol. In defense of Malaysia I’d say they’re more anti-Indonesia rather than pro-China.
Malaysia aka Malon will always Anti Indonesia. Some of their extremist always believe Indonesia is US puppet to destroy them. Normal Malaysian always use term pardon me "Indon" for Indonesian. It will become miracle their elite join hand with us against China.

Last edited:
189: A Piece Of The Puzzle
9th August 2002:
President Try Sutrisno accompanied by met with Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita, the topic at hand was the world’s reaction the government’s operation against and banning of Jemaah Islamiyah. Ginandjar highlighted the reactions of the Islamic world. There were statements of support from Turkey, Nigeria, Algeria, Qatar, and Bahrain while an ambiguous statement came out from Saudi Arabia.

“The most negative reaction, if not outright condemnation, came from them, Mr. President”, said Ginandjar handing a newspaper featuring Prime Minister of Malaysia Najib Razak’s visit to Pakistan, his meeting with Chief Executive of Pakistan Aziz Khan and their joint condemnation of “Anti-Islamic acts by Muslims” though of course they did not specify who they are condemning.

“How did the United States react?” asked the President.

“You get President McCain praising what you have done in a press conference but no change as yet in the Administration’s stance in letting us have the 28 F-16s”, explained Ginandjar.

The President smiled at this and nodded his head.

“All right”, he said “We better make the most of our trip in early September then.”

10th August 2002:
In Solo, Central Java, Chairman of Muhammadiyah Amien Rais was seen arriving at Chairman of the DPR Harmoko’s personal house. They talked about the events of the past two weeks agreeing that the President had gotten stronger after bringing the forest concessionaires to order and taking the steps against Jemaah Islamiyah. Harmoko said that the President’s position as leader of the PKPI and leader of the PKPI-PPP Coalition but Amien Rais looked more serious.

“It doesn’t change the seat count inside the MPR, he still need both of our helps and he’ll need to declare his support for your re-election as Chairman of the DPR if he wants to have it”, said Amien.

Mas Amien, I am thankful that at least for the moment, I have your support and the support of the PKPI and the PPP’s Muhammadiyah members”, said Harmoko.

11th August 2002:
Treasurer of the PKPB Akbar Tandjung met with Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto at Cendana Street. After some pleasantries, Tutut asked Akbar what he wanted to talk about to which the latter began expressing his discomfort at the comments made by Secretary of the PKPB ZA Maulani that the steps taken by the government against Jemaah Islamyah was made under American pressure. Akbar said that the PKPB should publicly express their support for the steps the government has taken.

“Yes, Bang Akbar, but the Secretary of the PKPB is just expressing a view that exists in this nation”, argued Tutut.

“I understand, Madam Chairwoman, but we’re no longer seeking votes from the general populace; you’re seeking to be the next President of the Republic”, argued Akbar “Certainly you can do better.”

Tutut was not moved and Akbar was left making a mental note.

12th August 2002:
The President, Vice President JB Sumarlin, members of the cabinet, and their wives today arrived en masse at Tanah Kusir Cemetery in South Jakarta to pay respects at the tomb of former Vice President Mohammad Hatta, this being Hatta’s 100th birthday. The President and First Lady was seen laying flowers on Hatta’s tomb. The President gave a short speech lauding Hatta’s achievements and Minister of Social Affairs Meutia Hatta, acting as a representative of the Hatta family, also delivered a speech thanking the government for the respect it has given Hatta.

The President was seen walking out of the cemetery with Meutia Hatta by her side. Meutia laughed when the President asked her to stay in the cabinet rather than become a DPR member saying that it would take something major for her to change her mind and stay in the cabinet.

“President Try, given that the two people who intend to challenge you for the presidency are seeing themselves as the respective heirs of President Soekarno and President Soeharto, do you see yourself as the heir of Vice President Hatta?” asked a reporter.

“I think Bung Hatta belongs to the nation, he and indeed President Soekarno and President Soeharto does not belong to any partisan cause”, said the President “I don’t see myself as the political or ideological heir to Bung Hatta and I don’t intend to achieve that status for myself. I think it’s possible to respect and revere President Soekarno, President Soeharto, and Vice President Hatta yet at the same time pursue one’s own path and one’s own vision towards the nation.”

Not far behind them, Minister of Agriculture Sarwono Kusumaatmadja was asked the same question and told the President’s answer.

“I think the President’s correct”, replied Sarwono “Soekarno, Soeharto, and Hatta are great men but what I don’t understand is how the Chairwoman of the PKPB and the Chairwoman of the PNI can say with a straight face, there’s nothing to improve upon? With that kind of mindset, the forest concessionaires will just continue to run around being non-compliant because what the government had done with them would not have been done under the previous government.”

13th August 2002:
In a press conference, Minister of Home Affairs Harsudiono Hartas announced that the election of all 135 Regional Delegates by the Provincial DPRDs have now been completed. The Regional Delegates are non-partisans who will represent the provinces in the MPR and required at least 70% of the votes to be declared elected. They will be inaugurated along with the other MPR delegates on 1st October.

Harsudiono said there are two groups of MPR delegates that remains to be named:

*The MPR delegates representing ABRI which will include among them ABRI members who will sit in the DPR. These delegates will be named by the President with advice from the Commander of ABRI.

*The MPR delegates that are the Utusan Golongan or the Group Delegates, those that are appointed to represent people from all walks of life. In accordance with the law, the President will submit a list of names to the DPR for approval and approval from 80% of the DPR will be required for the submitted name to be accepted as an MPR Delegate.

At a toll road turnstile in Semarang, Central Java, the President accompanied by Minister of Public Works Rachmat Witoelar, and Governor of Central Java M. Ma’ruf inaugurated the Semarang-Batang Toll Road.

In his speech, the President highlighted that with the opening of this toll road, it was now possible to reach Semarang from Jakarta and vice versa within a few hours and expressed his hope and wish that the toll road will encourage economic activity between the two cities as well as between Jakarta and Central Java.

14th August 2002:
The President convened a meeting attended by Sumarlin, Minister of Economics and National Development Planning Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti, Minister of Finance Mar’ie Muhammad, Governor of BI Boediono and State Secretary Edi Sudrajat.

Boediono reported that since the interest rate rise on 1st July, the currency has strengthened and has stabilized at around the $1= Rp. 4,135-Rp. 4,140 mark. It seems however that most of the strengthening of the currency happened in the last two weeks with the President’s “triumphs” over the concessionaires and over Jemaah Islamiyah. This shows that the lost of confidence shown in the Rupiah in the last few months was mostly a political phenomenon.

Mar’ie said that from his end, tax offices are seeing people applying for taxpayer numbers again. There is a sense that, at least for the next 7 months, their money will be secure if they pay tax to the government.

Dorodjatun said that the first five months of the year, the main contributor to economic activity in Indonesia has been the election with everything from the printing of t-shirts and posters, to the food and drinks to be distributed during campaign events and to people flying around the country to campaign doing their part for the economy. After the election, tourism took over as the main engine and produced strong numbers as far foreign tourist arrivals were concerned; with the currency losing some of its value meant that it became cheaper to visit Indonesia again. Dorodjatun concluded by saying that Indonesia will have another strong year economically in 2002.

“Is there anything that we should be concerned about on the economic front?” asked the President.

It was this that got Sumarlin speaking saying that Indonesia might want to consider its economic stance on an international level. Sumarlin told the story of how he met Prime Minister of Canada Paul Martin and Prime Minister of Australia Peter Costello at Jacques Chirac’s funeral last month and that this was the topic of conversation. Martin in particular said that since Indonesia has been given a 10-year moratorium on debt payments, it would only be reasonable to expect tariff reductions.

Another world leader Sumarlin met at the funeral was President of Brazil Fernando Henrique Cardoso who came with Governor of Maranhao Roseana Sarney. The two Brazilians spoke about how they want to go around to the BRICI nations making the argument that the BRICI should be a formal grouping with summits and the like. By writing Russia's Primakov and India's Vajpayee had expressed interest.

The President chuckled.

“The stance we must take is so that we do not become an object in international political struggles, instead we must continue to be a subject which has the right to decide what our principles should be, which has the right to fight for our own goals”, he said.

“That passage would be from Vice President Hatta’s Rowing Between Two Reefs, Mr. President”, said Sumarlin.

The President laughed at that.

“Precisely, Mr. Vice President”, said the President “And if we want to base ourselves on that, we should follow our own path…that means pushing for the implementation of AFTA.”

The President went on explaining that Indonesia’s decision to take in Shwe Mann and his followers has been seen by friends in the region as a sign of Indonesia’s political leadership. It seems though that the mark of regional leadership is economic and the President pointed to the meetings he had with Prime Minister of Singapore Goh Chok Tong and also with members of the Vietnamese communist government.

Dorodjatun said that AFTA is an economic agenda of ASEAN that has become long overdue. He confirmed the President’s statement that countries in the region had asked for economic leadership, most notably Thailand who originally proposed it back in 1991.

Sumarlin asked if AFTA will be extended to members of the Jakarta Bloc only.

“It would be extended to all members of ASEAN”, replied the President “The Jakarta Bloc has 5 nations in it. Five is half of ASEAN but half is not a majority and a majority is not all…we don’t have the strength to stand up to China much less the other great powers our own. We need to “borrow” the strength of the other nations in the region so that we are at least on firmer ground.

We want to push Singapore and Brunei off the fence and into our side with AFTA; if Chile can make a lot of progress with them on free trade negotiations, certainly we can do better. As far as Cambodia, Myanmar, and Malaysia are concerned, well we want to at least put them on the defensive so that the onus will be on them to show that they are willing to cooperate.”

15th August 2002:
At the Presidential Palace, the President presided over a ceremony to hand out decorations and awards to the nation’s best sons and daughters.

From the ceremony, the President went to his office where Chief of BAKIN Ari Sudewo awaited. Ari began by saying that the government dealt a strong blow to Jemaah Islamiyah and its membership last week. It is all but certain now that Jemaah Islamiyah’s members will go underground for at least the short and medium term and not even maintain the pretense of going around from place to place probing around for a gap, secretly planning. BAKIN will remain vigilant but Jemaah Islamiyah is not a threat.

Ari was pleased but the President was not and the latter moved on the meeting to Indonesia’s interactions with Australia in the aftermath as well as the comments made by President of Palau Tommy Remengesau about Oceania.

“If we want to assume the mantle of leadership in Southeast Asia and then use that mantle of leadership to stand up to China, is it safe to turn our back on this region?” asked the President.

Ari Sudewo looked as though he was calculating something in his head.

“Frankly speaking we can’t, Mr. President” said Ari Sudewo “And we can’t turn our back on this region not only because the attitudes that some of the nations in this region has towards us, but because your conversation with the President of Palau confirms that somewhere in that vast ocean, the OPM is hiding and planning something.”

“What do we do?” asked the President.

“Australia is ambivalent, New Zealand provides refuge to the Timor Leste Government-In-Exile, only Fiji and Palau are reliable, and the rest are either supportive or sympathetic to the OPM”, replied Ari “But you’re forgetting one piece of the puzzle that’s wavering in the middle and could go either way…”

“No…”, said the President.

“…either you hold this piece of the puzzle and you got yourself a buffer against Australia, against Oceania, and against the OPM hiding somewhere in all of that or you don’t hold it and it’s Australia, Oceania, and the OPM that has a buffer against us”, continued Ari. “Your interactions with the Australians recently shows all too clearly that they’ve done their calculations about us, that they have seen the possibility of..."

"Whatever worst-case scenario they've come up with, it won't come to that", said the President "I have no interest in Papua New Guinea."

---
Vice President Hatta’s birthday is 12th August 1902.

Jakarta and Semarang connected by toll road a lot earlier than in OTL.

The quote Try reads comes from Hatta’s famous speech Rowing Between Two Reefs. It’s common to say that the speech is about foreign policy but Hatta covers a lot of ground in it. The quote cane be found on page 9 of the following document https://serbasejarah.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/mendajung-antara-dua-karang.pdf

This will be my last one for some time. Real life getting really busy for the next few weeks at least.

9th August 2002:
President Try Sutrisno accompanied by met with Minister of Foreign Affairs Ginandjar Kartasasmita, the topic at hand was the world’s reaction the government’s operation against and banning of Jemaah Islamiyah. Ginandjar highlighted the reactions of the Islamic world. There were statements of support from Turkey, Nigeria, Algeria, Qatar, and Bahrain while an ambiguous statement came out from Saudi Arabia.

“The most negative reaction, if not outright condemnation, came from them, Mr. President”, said Ginandjar handing a newspaper featuring Prime Minister of Malaysia Najib Razak’s visit to Pakistan, his meeting with Chief Executive of Pakistan Aziz Khan and their joint condemnation of “Anti-Islamic acts by Muslims” though of course they did not specify who they are condemning.

“How did the United States react?” asked the President.

“You get President McCain praising what you have done in a press conference but no change as yet in the Administration’s stance in letting us have the 28 F-16s”, explained Ginandjar.

The President smiled at this and nodded his head.

“All right”, he said “We better make the most of our trip in early September then.”

10th August 2002:
In Solo, Central Java, Chairman of Muhammadiyah Amien Rais was seen arriving at Chairman of the DPR Harmoko’s personal house. They talked about the events of the past two weeks agreeing that the President had gotten stronger after bringing the forest concessionaires to order and taking the steps against Jemaah Islamiyah. Harmoko said that the President’s position as leader of the PKPI and leader of the PKPI-PPP Coalition but Amien Rais looked more serious.

“It doesn’t change the seat count inside the MPR, he still need both of our helps and he’ll need to declare his support for your re-election as Chairman of the DPR if he wants to have it”, said Amien.

Mas Amien, I am thankful that at least for the moment, I have your support and the support of the PKPI and the PPP’s Muhammadiyah members”, said Harmoko.

11th August 2002:
Treasurer of the PKPB Akbar Tandjung met with Chairwoman of the PKPB Tutut Soeharto at Cendana Street. After some pleasantries, Tutut asked Akbar what he wanted to talk about to which the latter began expressing his discomfort at the comments made by Secretary of the PKPB ZA Maulani that the steps taken by the government against Jemaah Islamyah was made under American pressure. Akbar said that the PKPB should publicly express their support for the steps the government has taken.

“Yes, Bang Akbar, but the Secretary of the PKPB is just expressing a view that exists in this nation”, argued Tutut.

“I understand, Madam Chairwoman, but we’re no longer seeking votes from the general populace; you’re seeking to be the next President of the Republic”, argued Akbar “Certainly you can do better.”

Tutut was not moved and Akbar was left making a mental note.

12th August 2002:
The President, Vice President JB Sumarlin, members of the cabinet, and their wives today arrived en masse at Tanah Kusir Cemetery in South Jakarta to pay respects at the tomb of former Vice President Mohammad Hatta, this being Hatta’s 100th birthday. The President and First Lady was seen laying flowers on Hatta’s tomb. The President gave a short speech lauding Hatta’s achievements and Minister of Social Affairs Meutia Hatta, acting as a representative of the Hatta family, also delivered a speech thanking the government for the respect it has given Hatta.

The President was seen walking out of the cemetery with Meutia Hatta by her side. Meutia laughed when the President asked her to stay in the cabinet rather than become a DPR member saying that it would take something major for her to change her mind and stay in the cabinet.

“President Try, given that the two people who intend to challenge you for the presidency are seeing themselves as the respective heirs of President Soekarno and President Soeharto, do you see yourself as the heir of Vice President Hatta?” asked a reporter.

“I think Bung Hatta belongs to the nation, he and indeed President Soekarno and President Soeharto does not belong to any partisan cause”, said the President “I don’t see myself as the political or ideological heir to Bung Hatta and I don’t intend to achieve that status for myself. I think it’s possible to respect and revere President Soekarno, President Soeharto, and Vice President Hatta yet at the same time pursue one’s own path and one’s own vision towards the nation.”

Not far behind them, Minister of Agriculture Sarwono Kusumaatmadja was asked the same question and told the President’s answer.

“I think the President’s correct”, replied Sarwono “Soekarno, Soeharto, and Hatta are great men but what I don’t understand is how the Chairwoman of the PKPB and the Chairwoman of the PNI can say with a straight face, there’s nothing to improve upon? With that kind of mindset, the forest concessionaires will just continue to run around being non-compliant because what the government had done with them would not have been done under the previous government.”

13th August 2002:
In a press conference, Minister of Home Affairs Harsudiono Hartas announced that the election of all 135 Regional Delegates by the Provincial DPRDs have now been completed. The Regional Delegates are non-partisans who will represent the provinces in the MPR and required at least 70% of the votes to be declared elected. They will be inaugurated along with the other MPR delegates on 1st October.

Harsudiono said there are two groups of MPR delegates that remains to be named:

*The MPR delegates representing ABRI which will include among them ABRI members who will sit in the DPR. These delegates will be named by the President with advice from the Commander of ABRI.

*The MPR delegates that are the Utusan Golongan or the Group Delegates, those that are appointed to represent people from all walks of life. In accordance with the law, the President will submit a list of names to the DPR for approval and approval from 80% of the DPR will be required for the submitted name to be accepted as an MPR Delegate.

At a toll road turnstile in Semarang, Central Java, the President accompanied by Minister of Public Works Rachmat Witoelar, and Governor of Central Java M. Ma’ruf inaugurated the Semarang-Batang Toll Road.

In his speech, the President highlighted that with the opening of this toll road, it was now possible to reach Semarang from Jakarta and vice versa within a few hours and expressed his hope and wish that the toll road will encourage economic activity between the two cities as well as between Jakarta and Central Java.

14th August 2002:
The President convened a meeting attended by Sumarlin, Minister of Economics and National Development Planning Dorodjatun Kuntjoro-Jakti, Minister of Finance Mar’ie Muhammad, Governor of BI Boediono and State Secretary Edi Sudrajat.

Boediono reported that since the interest rate rise on 1st July, the currency has strengthened and has stabilized at around the $1= Rp. 4,135-Rp. 4,140 mark. It seems however that most of the strengthening of the currency happened in the last two weeks with the President’s “triumphs” over the concessionaires and over Jemaah Islamiyah. This shows that the lost of confidence shown in the Rupiah in the last few months was mostly a political phenomenon.

Mar’ie said that from his end, tax offices are seeing people applying for taxpayer numbers again. There is a sense that, at least for the next 7 months, their money will be secure if they pay tax to the government.

Dorodjatun said that the first five months of the year, the main contributor to economic activity in Indonesia has been the election with everything from the printing of t-shirts and posters, to the food and drinks to be distributed during campaign events and to people flying around the country to campaign doing their part for the economy. After the election, tourism took over as the main engine and produced strong numbers as far foreign tourist arrivals were concerned; with the currency losing some of its value meant that it became cheaper to visit Indonesia again. Dorodjatun concluded by saying that Indonesia will have another strong year economically in 2002.

“Is there anything that we should be concerned about on the economic front?” asked the President.

It was this that got Sumarlin speaking saying that Indonesia might want to consider its economic stance on an international level. Sumarlin told the story of how he met Prime Minister of Canada Paul Martin and Prime Minister of Australia Peter Costello at Jacques Chirac’s funeral last month and that this was the topic of conversation. Martin in particular said that since Indonesia has been given a 10-year moratorium on debt payments, it would only be reasonable to expect tariff reductions.

Another world leader Sumarlin met at the funeral was President of Brazil Fernando Henrique Cardoso who came with Governor of Maranhao Roseana Sarney. The two Brazilians spoke about how they want to go around to the BRICI nations making the argument that the BRICI should be a formal grouping with summits and the like. By writing Russia's Primakov and India's Vajpayee had expressed interest.

The President chuckled.

“The stance we must take is so that we do not become an object in international political struggles, instead we must continue to be a subject which has the right to decide what our principles should be, which has the right to fight for our own goals”, he said.

“That passage would be from Vice President Hatta’s Rowing Between Two Reefs, Mr. President”, said Sumarlin.

The President laughed at that.

“Precisely, Mr. Vice President”, said the President “And if we want to base ourselves on that, we should follow our own path…that means pushing for the implementation of AFTA.”

The President went on explaining that Indonesia’s decision to take in Shwe Mann and his followers has been seen by friends in the region as a sign of Indonesia’s political leadership. It seems though that the mark of regional leadership is economic and the President pointed to the meetings he had with Prime Minister of Singapore Goh Chok Tong and also with members of the Vietnamese communist government.

Dorodjatun said that AFTA is an economic agenda of ASEAN that has become long overdue. He confirmed the President’s statement that countries in the region had asked for economic leadership, most notably Thailand who originally proposed it back in 1991.

Sumarlin asked if AFTA will be extended to members of the Jakarta Bloc only.

“It would be extended to all members of ASEAN”, replied the President “The Jakarta Bloc has 5 nations in it. Five is half of ASEAN but half is not a majority and a majority is not all…we don’t have the strength to stand up to China much less the other great powers our own. We need to “borrow” the strength of the other nations in the region so that we are at least on firmer ground.

We want to push Singapore and Brunei off the fence and into our side with AFTA; if Chile can make a lot of progress with them on free trade negotiations, certainly we can do better. As far as Cambodia, Myanmar, and Malaysia are concerned, well we want to at least put them on the defensive so that the onus will be on them to show that they are willing to cooperate.”

15th August 2002:
At the Presidential Palace, the President presided over a ceremony to hand out decorations and awards to the nation’s best sons and daughters.

From the ceremony, the President went to his office where Chief of BAKIN Ari Sudewo awaited. Ari began by saying that the government dealt a strong blow to Jemaah Islamiyah and its membership last week. It is all but certain now that Jemaah Islamiyah’s members will go underground for at least the short and medium term and not even maintain the pretense of going around from place to place probing around for a gap, secretly planning. BAKIN will remain vigilant but Jemaah Islamiyah is not a threat.

Ari was pleased but the President was not and the latter moved on the meeting to Indonesia’s interactions with Australia in the aftermath as well as the comments made by President of Palau Tommy Remengesau about Oceania.

“If we want to assume the mantle of leadership in Southeast Asia and then use that mantle of leadership to stand up to China, is it safe to turn our back on this region?” asked the President.

Ari Sudewo looked as though he was calculating something in his head.

“Frankly speaking we can’t, Mr. President” said Ari Sudewo “And we can’t turn our back on this region not only because the attitudes that some of the nations in this region has towards us, but because your conversation with the President of Palau confirms that somewhere in that vast ocean, the OPM is hiding and planning something.”

“What do we do?” asked the President.

“Australia is ambivalent, New Zealand provides refuge to the Timor Leste Government-In-Exile, only Fiji and Palau are reliable, and the rest are either supportive or sympathetic to the OPM”, replied Ari “But you’re forgetting one piece of the puzzle that’s wavering in the middle and could go either way…”

“No…”, said the President.

“…either you hold this piece of the puzzle and you got yourself a buffer against Australia, against Oceania, and against the OPM hiding somewhere in all of that or you don’t hold it and it’s Australia, Oceania, and the OPM that has a buffer against us”, continued Ari. “Your interactions with the Australians recently shows all too clearly that they’ve done their calculations about us, that they have seen the possibility of..."

"Whatever worst-case scenario they've come up with, it won't come to that", said the President "I have no interest in Papua New Guinea."

---
Vice President Hatta’s birthday is 12th August 1902.

Jakarta and Semarang connected by toll road a lot earlier than in OTL.

The quote Try reads comes from Hatta’s famous speech Rowing Between Two Reefs. It’s common to say that the speech is about foreign policy but Hatta covers a lot of ground in it. The quote cane be found on page 9 of the following document https://serbasejarah.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/mendajung-antara-dua-karang.pdf

This will be my last one for some time. Real life getting really busy for the next few weeks at least.
I bet the Toll Road from Semarang To Surabaya would probably be completed somewhere around the middle of the decade. And probably the toll road Malang or Banyuwangi will be completed sooner by the end of the decade since the progress in the TL that the road between Jakarta and Semarang already completed. It means more economic growth will happen and more people will move around the island more easily now.