As Dreamers Do Part Deux

Entertainment News for Late November 2007
Entertainment News for Late November 2007

The Romney/Weinstein Company announces they have released Ray Spum from his contract.
- Variety

Former TRWC animation chief Ray Spum, days after his firing, has resurfaced in Moscow. There, Spum was greeted by Vladimir Putin in celebration of Spum becoming the new head of Soyuzmultfilm.
- CNN

Retired Disney animator Ollie Johnston, age 95 and the last surviving member of the Nine Old Men, enters hospice care.
- ABC News

Mike Richardson & Jeffrey Bewkes are now in a power struggle for control of the Bally board.
- USA Today

The Sports Page

Dwayne Johnson and Dany Garcia buy out Turner's half of the WLAF's Jacksonville Tomcats. Under the Justice Department's conditions to allow Ted Turner to sell certain assets to Microsoft to form TBS-Paramount, Turner had to sell his 50% stake in the Tomcats and other sports properties previously under his wing.
- ESPN

Saban Metromedia acquires Microsoft's 33% stake in the Odyssey Network under the conditions set by the DOJ to approve the TBS-Paramount merger. Starting next season, Odyssey's share of Major League Baseball coverage will be produced by SBC Sports.
- TV Guide

The Diamondbacks and Cardinals announce that starting with the 2008 MLB season, the Circle K Dome will become only the second venue in the world to feature sensory inclusive amenities for Autistic fans.
- The Arizona Republic

Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Queens borough president Helen M. Marshall met with Brooklyn Jets owner Woody Johnson to discuss updating the plans for the Willets Point stadium project to include sensory inclusive seating.
- The New York Times

The Romney/Weinstein Company announces they have released Ray Spum from his contract.
- Variety

Former TRWC animation chief Ray Spum, days after his firing, has resurfaced in Moscow. There, Spum was greeted by Vladimir Putin in celebration of Spum becoming the new head of Soyuzmultfilm.
- CNN

Retired Disney animator Ollie Johnston, age 95 and the last surviving member of the Nine Old Men, enters hospice care.
- ABC News

Mike Richardson & Jeffrey Bewkes are now in a power struggle for control of the Bally board.
- USA Today

The Sports Page
Dwayne Johnson and Dany Garcia buy out Turner's half of the WLAF's Jacksonville Tomcats. Under the Justice Department's conditions to allow Ted Turner to sell certain assets to Microsoft to form TBS-Paramount, Turner had to sell his 50% stake in the Tomcats and other sports properties previously under his wing.
- ESPN

Saban Metromedia acquires Microsoft's 33% stake in the Odyssey Network under the conditions set by the DOJ to approve the TBS-Paramount merger. Starting next season, Odyssey's share of Major League Baseball coverage will be produced by SBC Sports.
- TV Guide
1: I was about to cheer for firing Ray Spum, until I read further that he became the head of a different animation studio. And in cahoots with Putin, to boot.
2: As much as I hope Ollie can be okay, I will admit that the new guys have much more to work with than the Nine Old Men ever had.
3: I'm just going to vote against Jeffrey Bewkes on this.
4: Can the Tomcats still use the Tom and Jerry license? Or do they need a legally distinct redesign?
5: Now we're talking! And considering how much kids content Saban owns, this will really give Odyssey a kick in the teeth towards the sky!

This Just In!

At an Autism summit in Washington, DC, the commissioners of the major and mid-major sports leagues released this joint-statement

"Starting on March 1, 2008, all teams in our league will be mandated to upgrade current or build newer facilities to include sensory-friendly amenities to provide a more comfortable experience for fans on the autism spectrum."

Signatories
Amy Trask
Commissioner; National Football League

Larry Lucchino
Commissioner of Major League Baseball

Jerry West
Commissioner; National Basketball Association

Wayne Gretzky
Commissioner; National Hockey League

Gary Bettman
Commissioner; International Hockey League

Oliver Luck
Commissioner; World League of American Football

Don Garber
Commissioner; Major League Soccer

Tony DiCicco
CEO; Womens' Major League Soccer

David Baker
Commissioner; Arena Football League

Mark Cohon
Commissioner; Canadian Football League

Donna Orender
Commissioner; Womens' National Basketball Association

This Just In!

At an Autism summit in Washington, DC, the commissioners of the major and mid-major sports leagues released this joint-statement

"Starting on March 1, 2008, all teams in our league will be mandated to upgrade current or build newer facilities to include sensory-friendly amenities to provide a more comfortable experience for fans on the autism spectrum."

Signatories
Amy Trask

Larry Lucchino

Jerry West

Wayne Gretzky

Gary Bettman

Oliver Luck

Don Garber

Tony DiCicco

David Baker

Mark Cohon

Donna Orender
Nice!

But goddamnit for Ray Spum.....

Why can't this man just be arrested at this point?

And what even IS that studio in Russia?

And what's going to happen to Miramax Animation?

1: I was about to cheer for firing Ray Spum, until I read further that he became the head of a different animation studio. And in cahoots with Putin, to boot.
2: As much as I hope Ollie can be okay, I will admit that the new guys have much more to work with than the Nine Old Men ever had.
3: I'm just going to vote against Jeffrey Bewkes on this.
4: Can the Tomcats still use the Tom and Jerry license? Or do they need a legally distinct redesign?
5: Now we're talking! And considering how much kids content Saban owns, this will really give Odyssey a kick in the teeth towards the sky!
2) As of November 2007, Burny Mattinson is one of the last remaining links to the Nine Old Men era. When Daniel Abbott (young Danny of course, not yet Sir Daniel) came over from Paramount in '83, Eric Larson was the only Nine Old Men member still working. Larson by then was running the animator training program.
3) Bally shareholders are already passing out "Jeffrey Mucus" and "Bewkes is a Doofus" T-shirts and buttons for their next meeting.
4) Yes, the license can still be used.

2) As of November 2007, Burny Mattinson is one of the last remaining links to the Nine Old Men era. When Daniel Abbott (young Danny of course, not yet Sir Daniel) came over from Paramount in '83, Eric Larson was the only Nine Old Men member still working. Larson by then was running the animator training program.
And astonishingly enough, he still is IOTL.
3) Bally shareholders are already passing out "Jeffrey Mucus" and "Bewkes is a Doofus" T-shirts and buttons for their next meeting.
Not gonna lie, I'd buy some of those.
4) Yes, the license can still be used.
Thank you.

This Just In!

Signatories
Amy Trask

Larry Lucchino

Jerry West

Wayne Gretzky

Gary Bettman

Oliver Luck

Don Garber

Tony DiCicco

David Baker

Mark Cohon

Donna Orender
Awesome! We really need that IRL.

But can someone just kill Ray Spum (Putin can go with him) and get Bewkes out of Bally?!

Yeah, how are the Saturday Morning ratings?

Tied for 1st
Total Drama Island (ABC)
Kingdom Hearts: The Series (Fox)
Phineas and Ferb (Fox)

The rest of the top ten
Hannah Montana (ABC)
Arthur (UPN)
The Batman (CBS)
Big Nate '06 (NBC)
Naruto (Fox)
Chowder (ABC)
WordGirl (SBC)

How’s toonami

Toonami is still chugging along, but its ratings have slipped behind FX's Dojo and USACX's Bullet Train.

Updated studio URL's

Disney
Walt Disney Pictures:
Disney.com/wdp
20th Century-Fox: Disney.com/tcf
Hyperion Pictures: Disney.com/hyperion

Peacock
RKO Radio Pictures:
nbc.com/rko
Universal Pictures: universalstudios.com now redirects to nbc.com/universal
Dreamworks SKG: DreamWorks.com now redirects to nbc.com/skg
Gramercy Pictures: nbc.com/gramercy

Saban
New Line Cinema:
newline.com
Golden Harvest: goldenharvest.com

TBS-Paramount
Paramount Pictures:
paramount.com
United Artists: paramount.com/ua
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer: paramount.com/mgm

TimeWarner
Warner Bros:
warnerbros.com
Carolco: warnerbros.com/carolco

Columbia-Tristar
Columbia Pictures:
cbs.com/columbia
Tristar Pictures: cbs.com/tristar

Lionsgate
Lionsgate.ca

Henson
Touchstone Pictures:
touchstone.com
Hanna-Barbera: henson.com/HB
Cosgrove-Hall: cosgrovehall.co.uk
Pixar: pixar.com

Last edited:
Tied for 1st
Total Drama Island (ABC)
Kingdom Hearts: The Series (Fox)
Phineas and Ferb (Fox)

The rest of the top ten
Hannah Montana (ABC)
Arthur (UPN)
The Batman (CBS)
Big Nate '06 (NBC)
Naruto (Fox)
Chowder (ABC)
WordGirl (SBC)
Nice!

I hope that Hikaru No Go, Sgt. Frog, Shaun the Sheep and Tracy Beaker is still doing well.
Toonami is still chugging along, but its ratings have slipped behind FX's Dojo and USACX's Bullet Train.
Well, make it air more American animation.

And make them get more heavy hitters.

And I'd make it air edgier shows.
That property is still up for grabs with the following bids:
Peacock (Animax or USACX Bullet Train block)
TBS-Paramount (Adult Swim or Toonami)
Disney (FX Dojo block)
Lionsgate
New Line Cinema
I'd give it to either Peacock or TBS-Paramount as the rest wouldn't fir.
I say TBS-Paramount gets it. After all, Adult Swim got to air it IOTL.
I'd say either one of these two.
Moreso TBS-Paramount.
See, they agree with me.
Updated studio URL's

Disney
Walt Disney Pictures:
Disney.com/wdp
20th Century-Fox: Disney.com/tcf
Hyperion Pictures: Disney.com/hyperion

Peacock
RKO Radio Pictures:
nbc.com/rko
Universal Pictures: universalstudios.com now redirects to nbc.com/universal
Dreamworks SKG: DreamWorks.com now redirects to nbc.com/skg
Gramercy Pictures: nbc.com/gramercy

Saban
New Line Cinema:
newline.com
Golden Harvest: goldenharvest.com

TBS-Paramount
Paramount Pictures:
paramount.com
United Artists: paramount.com/ua
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer: paramount.com/mgm

TimeWarner
Warner Bros:
warnerbros.com
Carolco: warnerbros.com/carolco

Columbia-Tristar
Columbia Pictures:
cbs.com/columbia
Tristar Pictures: cbs.com/tristar

Lionsgate
Lionsgate.ca

Henson
Touchstone Pictures:
touchstone.com
Hanna-Barbera: henson.com/HB
Cosgrove-Hall: cosgrovehall.uk
Pixar: pixar.com
Nice, but British websites end in .co.uk.