A New Beginning - Our 1992 Russian Federation

1) B
2) A, St Alexander Nevsky is more worthy of commemoration than Bolshevik functionary Kalinin
3) D, because it would be funny
4) as for the jihadists,
sidious.gif

1. The Japanese and Russian governments have been discussing the issue of Kuril Islands for several months. Which diplomatic solution to this problem is the best?

I'll go with B and agree to give up Shikotan and Habomai Islands (smaller Islands).

Ill go with option C abd make no concession. If Japan refuses to normalize ties , well then its their loss.
2. A group of local activist have petitioned the Russian government claiming that Kaliningrad and Kaliningrad Oblast should be renamed into Nevskygrad and Nevskygrad Oblast to honor of the historical hero of Russia.
Backing @ruffino here, let the citizens decide .
3. President Fyodorov have decided to appoint new prime minister after the upcoming presidential elections. Who is the most suitable candidate to this position?
B) Anatoly Sobchak is the best candidate.

4. Please write down how should the Russian government deal with ongoing Islamist terrorist activities in the North Caucasus?

Engage FSB into the intelligence war with the task of discovery, surveillance and inflitration of terrorist cells with goal of destruction of those cells .

Have a thight cooperation with the military, FSB and police forces.

Introduce stricter surveillance in Russia itself, security services need to be informed about this.

Also introduce training for civilian sector of society, especially in schools, hospitals and places where there are large garthering about how to recognize and Spot terrorists as well as how to best act in those situation.

Edit : also adding the vote from @ruffino

Last edited:
1. The Japanese and Russian governments have been discussing the issue of Kuril Islands for several months. Which diplomatic solution to this problem is the best?

C. Russia should not give up the contested islands.

2. A group of local activist have petitioned the Russian government claiming that Kaliningrad and Kaliningrad Oblast should be renamed into Nevskygrad and Nevskygrad Oblast to honor of the historical hero of Russia.

A) Agree to rename the city and the oblast;

3. President Fyodorov have decided to appoint new prime minister after the upcoming presidential elections. Who is the most suitable candidate to this position?

B. Anatoly Sobchak

4. Please write down how should the Russian government deal with ongoing Islamist terrorist activities in the North Caucasus?

Same recommendation as @Kriss but with addition of better training and tactics for the police, FSB and Army to reduce civilian casualties.

Last edited:
A) Russia should give up all contested islands and sign the peace and commercial treaty with Japan;
B) Russia should give up only 2 smaller islands to Japan and sign commercial treaty;
C) Russia should not give up any contested islands.

B) Don't agree to the idea.

A) Yevgeny Primakov (current Director of the FSB)
B) Anatoly Sobchak (Deputy Prime Minister for energy-fuel sector)
C) Boris Gromov (Interior Minister of Russia)
D) Gennady Zugyanov (Leader of the Communist Party - this decision would result in a coalition with the communists)

1. C - it is increasingly obvious that Japan does not want an actual solution to this problem. The USSR reached out multiple times in order to solve this dispute and Japan has rejected it each time. We should take the same position that the USSR originally had, Yalta gave us the islands, and Japan can cry all day for all I care.

For the rest I agree with the @Kriss proposal.

1 - C; not give up another inch of ground. With the dissolution of the USSR so recently, ceding any more territory could cause an internal political crisis. In the event of a complaint, maintain a position similar to that of the United Kingdom with the Falkland Islands.

2 - mixture of both options. Organize a vote among the population of the Oblast to decide if they want to rename it.

3 - B; He seems to be a good candidate, I think he will do well.

4 - Create a special department focused on the fight against terrorism in both the police forces and the military service and the secret service.
Start collecting information to find out how they are financed and how they are put together, and start striking here first in order to obtain informants and collaborators while denying them these resources, or in the worst case, making them more expensive.
Create a campaign whose objective will be to discourage joining these organizations, through punitive actions (increase the penalty for illegal possession of weapons, for belonging to a terrorist organization, sending terrorists to prisons far from their family nucleus, only transferring them to closer prisons in the event that they repudiate and reject the armed struggle), advertising (advertise clerics who reject the path of struggle, encourage stories of coexistence between different cultures and religions in the area), improvement (offer aid to companies in the area to hire, initiate a series of public improvements...) and reintegrative (oblige those convicted of terrorism to work, part of their salary going to compensate for the damage caused and the other part to their family, this work would be cleaning, repairing , preparing terrorist attack areas or in hospitals, washing clothes, preparing food, cleaning the rooms of their victims... with the aim that, when carrying out these activities, they see the evil caused, and truly want to fight against it ).

Last edited:
So i would like to reflect on the last update. Regarding war in Bosnia? I find this to be a major win for us as creation of neutral state is probably more preferred than division and expansion of NATO into the Federation. Otherwise from the looks of it we assured substantional autonomy for Bosnian Serbs (given that Bosnia is Confederation with all the definitions of the word) and legal recognition for their republic. I believe we achieved everything we had set out to do here, we reestablished Russian role in the Balkans, as well as reestablished ourselves as protector of the Serbs giving us definite influence in Bosnia and Serbia , secured neutrality for Bosnia, confirmed Russian status as a great power by participating in this international matter as well as delivered upon sympathies of our population. Not to mention we have potentially stopped any further NATO aggression against Serbia itself in its tracks (im sure those weapons and volunteers will be put to good use against successioninst forces in Kosovo). But I'll still maintain firm position that we shouldn't allow Serbia/Yugoslavia into the CSTO until NATO starts its own expansion as i don't want us to be first to pull the trigger so to say.

Regarding our forgein minister, he's fine but i weary much prefer to mantain coordinal relationship with the West and even have some level of Integration like in G8 for example.

As for the vote? I believe I'll change my mind and support @ruffino on 2nd question, as for the 4? I would like to add it to my proposal as well as rehabilitation of terrorists and fight against it in society is necessary.

As for the Kuril dispute? I would like to point out that Japan signed that it would renounce its sovereignty over the islands and later backtracked on it by stating that it never accept Soviet sovereignty on the islands and later on claimed that 4 southern islands aren't even part of the Kuril Island chain... This kinda makes their claim extremely shaky but...

Official Soviet position since 1956 was that it was willing to transfer two smaller Islands to Japan. But regardless of the option if Japan refuses to normalize ties its their fault as then they get nothing and Russia will develop itself anyway, basically if they want to be left out from the access to Siberian resources while China gets said access together with S. Korea, it's their choice. Same with economic cooperation with Russia.

Last edited:
Okay first off, wow this year was a disaster, a rise in extreme right, one of the most horrific hostage crises in history and creditability of the government just took a massive blow for understandable reasons. I know lashing out is tempting but retain a rational mindset and at least listen to the critics.

+C Put the issue on hold for now.

I admit this is not the most beneficial move but believe during the current context engaging in such talks after one of the worst attacks in present Russian history would be giving to much ground for opponents of the governments to attack it. Japan won't be using force of arms to take those Islands backs anytime soon while doing such a deal could boost the far right.

This is going to be painful given our economic situation but feel necessary for the times, in theory a soldier should only sacrifice themselves when needed as a last resort for the nation in practise civilians in exchange for taxes and loyalty expect it far more when the time comes.

If the ratio of dead Russian soldiers to civilians was closer it would be easier to sell to the nation that fighting for the protection of the people of Chechnya is needed notice a fair bit of the critiques aimed the state are people feeling danger of being hurt in this forever war no longer trusting the army to protect them instead of saving their own skin and the state of Russian soldiers.

The solution though will attract some criticism, push for more aggressive pace of operations with hostages and raise the amount of benefits for the families of soldiers who are killed in the line of duty as well as pay. Sure some critic it as a ''reward'' but getting people to sacrifice themselves for the state will be easier with a guarantee their families will be provided for. We will give some critiques on it to assure the population we will change the army conduct though to assure more liberal voices.

A brief emergency in the region aimed at protecting Chechen civilians from any mob violence in the immediate aftermath of this atrocity Kizlyar has a mixed population of Russians and various people but almost no Chechens so we should expect some attempts at revenge and try to curtail them.

Now this maybe controversial but I feel this is a option we should speak about if never pursue, consider publicly doing a Lebanon style deal with Islamist fighters and their families to let them leave to a neutral/nearby country provided they agree to stop waging armed struggle against Russia and after ten years can return but continued activity will face retaliation.

Might sound a bit harsh but no one in Georgia to Jordan to Türkiye will care much about some of their youth waging Jihad in Russia given the type with the expectation they will be martyred or win they won't be causing problems back home. However the prospect of possibly getting thousands if not tens of thousands of angry radicals and their families now inside their nation and any their actions could led to Russian retaliation is a another matter worth considering. The solution is simple don't be considered neutral no risk of getting any insurgents.

Russia I believe cannot exert enough pressure on neighbouring nations to at least stop turning a blind eye without looking to aggressive however this should cause a self imposed crackdown. A Lebanon style deal destabilizes a nation and creates a pretext for intervention something in which the Caucasus's would rather avoid. This crackdown should cause some retaliation as local networks lash out which is very good as once terrorist activities are no longer confined to Russia we should expect further crackdowns and less international sympathy for their cause.

Even in very sympathetic nations to various groups fighting in Chechnya the prospect of housing potentially the same fighters who did the Kizlyar massacre would turn the stomach of many people, it's easier to admire at distance and not think about the vile actions as well as lead to Russian retaliation.

This is also to take the wind out of any liberal voices wishing for a end to the conflict, wishing for the end of war and pain is one thing as it can mean a million things having a concrete deal makes it much harder to advocate for peace as it's easier to attack.

So i would like to reflect on the last update. Regarding war in Bosnia? I find this to be a major win for us as creation of neutral state is probably more preferred than division and expansion of NATO into the Federation. Otherwise from the looks of it we assured substantional autonomy for Bosnian Serbs (given that Bosnia is Confederation with all definitions of word) and legal recognition for their republic. I believe we achieved everything we had set out to do here, we reestablished Russian role in the Balkans, as well as reestablished ourselves as protector of the Serbs giving us definite influence in Bosnia and Serbia , secured neutrality for Bosnia, confirmed Russian status as a great power by participating in this international matter as well as delivered upon sympathies of our population. Not to mention we have potentially stopped any further NATO aggression against Serbia itself in its tracks (im sure those weapons and volunteers will be put to good use against successioninst forces in Kosovo). But ill still maintain firm position that we shouldn't allow Serbia/Yugoslavia into the CSTO until NATO starts its own expansion as i don't want us to be first to pull the trigger so to say.

Regarding our forgein minister, he's fine but i weary much prefer to mantain coordinal relationship with the West and even have some level of Integration like in G8 for example.

As for the vote? I believe I'll change my mind and support @ruffino on 2nd question, as for the 4? I would like to add it to my proposal as well as rehabilitation of terrorists and fight against it in society is necessary.

As for the Kuril dispute? I would like to point out that Japan signed that it would renounce its sovereignty over the islands and later backtracked on it by stating that it never accept Soviet sovereignty on the islands and later on claimed that 4 southern islands aren't even part of the Kuril Island chain... This kinda makes their claim extremely shaky but...

Official Soviet position since 1956 was that it was willing to transfer two smaller Islands to Japan... So I'll still go with B and mantain that position. If Japan refuses its their fault as then they get nothing and Russia will develop itself anyway, basically if they want to be left out from the access to Siberian resources while China gets said access together with S. Korea, it's their choice. Same with economic cooperation with Russia.
You are correct, thanks to the last developments, Russia is back in the Balkan and European politics. Serbia and Bulgaria will joint the CIS and CSTO down the road.

A year in review: Professional Wrestling in 1996
A year in review: Professional Wrestling in 1996.

Welcome back to the "Year in review" series where we look back at the title reigns and important developments in pro wrestling in days gone by. Today we look back at possibly the single most influential year in modern wrestling, 1996. As per our norm we'll be focusing on the major companies of the United States as well as Japan and in 1996 there's no better promotion to start with then...

World Championship Wrestling.
Ted Turner's WCW lit the wrestling world on fire with the creation of one of the most enduringly popular and influential factions in wrestling history, the New World Order(NWO). Slowly built up over the first half of the year with the arrival of Scott Hall and Kevin Nash before being officially formed at the 96 addition of Bash at the Beach where Hulk Hogan was revealed to be the group's leader. The group would balloon to 15 members in total by years end counting non wrestlers and all major members holding gold of some sort with the newly minted "Hollywood" Hogan capturing the WCW World Heavyweight Championship for the second time in August and holding it till the end of the year while Hall & Nash would capture the WCW World Tag Team Titles at Halloween Havoc in October.

Lower down the card WCW would introduce two new belts during 96. The WCW Cruiserweight Championship would crown it's first champion in a tournament held in Japan with Shinjiro Otani becoming the inaugural title holder. The belt would see five different reigns by years end -including two by Dean Malenko- before closing the year around the waist of Ultimo Dragon who captured the gold at the 96 addition of Starrcade. That same event would see Akira Hokuto defeat Madusa to become the first holder of the WCW Women's Championship.

World Wrestling Federation.

After a rough 1995 Vince McMahon was determined to right the ship in 96. The year would see the continuation of the New Generation of colorful characters balanced with a willingness to push smaller, more workrate focused talent at the top of the card.

The latter trend was shown via the back to back reigns of Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels. The former won the WWF title at the previous years Survivor Series and would hold it until WrestleMania 12 where the latter would defeat him and carry the belt to Survivor Series 96. While Sycho Sid defeating Michaels for the belt showed the trend of pushing larger stars wasn't entirely finished, 1996 made it clear such old school thinking was on the way out.

New Japan Pro Wrestling
Shinya Hashimoto
stands out as the unquestioned star of of 1996 in the "King of Sport" defeating Nobuhiko Takada in April to start his third reign with the IWGP Heavyweight Championship and holding it into the following year.

This made Hashimoto a double champion for a brief period as he entered 96 holding the IWGP Tag Team Titles alongside Junji Hirata. They would drop the titles in June to the pair of Kazuo Yamakazi & Takashi Iizuka who themselves would carry the belts until July where they were defeated by Hiroshi Tenzan & Masahiro Chono.

The IWGP Jr Heavyweight Title would find itself around the waists of a who's who of Jr Heavyweight legends with back to back reigns by Jushin Thunder Liger, The Great Sasuke & Ultimo Dragon the latter's reign briefly overlapping with his holding of the WCW Cruiserweight Championship.

In terms of NJPW's annual tournaments, Black Tiger won the Best of Super Juniors. Riki Choshu the G1 Climax and Shinya Hashimoto put a bow on his year by teaming with Scott Norton to win the World Tag League

All Japan Pro Wrestling

AJPW marched into the latter half of the 90s strengthened by the success of talent such as Toshiaki Kawasaki, Mitsuhara Misawa, Kenta Kobashi & Akira Taue collectively known (unofficially) as the Four Pillars of Heaven.

Their presence was felt up and down the card with Misawa, Taue & Kobashi all holding the companies Triple Crown Championship while Tau & Kawada as the Holy Demon Army captured by World Tag Team Championship for the third time before dropping them to Misawa and Jun Akiyama.

Taue in particular would dominate the Heavyweight tournaments that year winning both the Champion Carnival as well as the World's Strongest Tag Determination League alongside Kobashi.

Last edited:
A) Russia should give up all contested islands and sign the peace and commercial treaty with Japan;
B) Russia should give up only 2 smaller islands to Japan and sign commercial treaty;
C) Russia should not give up any contested islands. After the political disaster that was Fyodorov's handling of the jihadists the last thing we need to do is ensure our replacement/assassination in a coup by pissing off everyone in Russia.
Also the military will happily agree to a nice swift coup considering the Kurils represent Russia's ONLY safe access route to the Pacific free of American/Chinese interception and surveilance. Giving up ANY islands tightens the rope placed around our throat (both Fyodorov's and Russia's)
Also we lose Territorial waters and EEZ.
Also there are believed to exist untapped oil and gas resources there.
https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/why-russia-will-not-return-kuril-islands-japan 17 Νοε 2020
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202204/1258821.shtml 8 Απρ 2022
Southern Kurile Islands/Northern Territories Resource Potential
The islands of the Habomai group, Shikotan, Kunashir and Iturup are claimed by both the Soviet Union and Japan. These islands are each entitled to an Exclusive Economic Zone. This paper examines the mineral and energy potential on these islands and in their maritime zones and the implications for resource allocation and management of different solutions to the islands question. Return of all four islands would mean the transfer of substantial titanium sand, sulfur and sulfide deposits, as well as extensive fishing grounds. Return of only the southern two would still entail a major transfer of fishing grounds but not known mineral deposits. Return of the southern two and joint development of the other two would give Japan significant fishing grounds and access to several economic mineral deposits.
Edit: The links are about economic potential. I will look for links explaining the Kurils' military importance tomorrow.
B) Don't agree to the idea. Honestly don't see the point.
D) Gennady Zugyanov (Leader of the Communist Party - this decision would result in a coalition with the communists)
As @Kriss

Last edited:
Okay i changed my mind about Kuril Islands, at closer look it seems that 74% of Russians were against this in 1994 poll. So yea i don't think that our government can safely sign this agreement and pass it through the parliament without mass protests and no confidence vote as many see it as Russian reward for its sacrifices in WW2 and a condition for Soviet opening of the front against the Japan.

Last edited:

1. C) They had a chance at the islands but they let America call it off.
2. I agree with @ruffino. Put it to a vote.
3. I don't know anything really about any of these gentlemen so I will trust the consensus and vote B.
4. Combination of @Kriss and @ruffino.

1. C) Just as others have explained it.
2. I agree with @ruffino suggestion.
3. A) *Actually I change my vote.
4. A mix of @Kriss and @ruffino plan.
--
I honestly would like to continue the left-wing nationalism and pro-Eurasian as that's pretty a better alternative to ultranationalists, liberalism, and pro-Western...

Last edited:

Russia’s Militarization of the Kuril Islands

The Kuril Islands are strategically located. They separate the Sea of Okhotsk from the wider Pacific Ocean, marking a vital point of egress for Russia’s Pacific Fleet. They also provide Russia valuable forward basing options for fires and intelligence collection. It should be little surprise then that Russia recently released an updated maritime doctrine saying it will protect the Kuril straits “by all means.”

The geostrategic role of the Kuril Islands in the Russian foreign policy for the Asia-Pacific Northwest area

Also I can't help but think of how no one has asked if the locals in the Kuril Islands would even want to go to Japan
, myself included.
As of 2013, 19,434 people inhabited the Kuril Islands, of which over 16,700 live on the four disputed islands. These include ethnic Russians, Ukrainians, Belarusians, Tatars, Nivkhs, Oroch, and Ainus. Russian Orthodox Christianity is the main religion. Some of the villages are permanently occupied by Russian soldiers. Others are inhabited by civilians, who are mostly fishers, workers in fish factories, dockers, and social sphere workers (police, medics, teachers, etc.). Construction works on the islands have attracted migrant workers from the rest of Russia and other post-Soviet states. As of 2014, there were only 8 inhabited islands out of a total of 56. Iturup Island is over 60% ethnically Ukrainian.

C) Offers were made in the past that were rejected by Japan though it's clear that they will not force the issue and given the recent hostage crises it would likely be disastrous domestically to show perceived weakness.
I'll add my agreement to @ruffino's proposal of putting it to a vote of the local population.
B) Anatoly Sobchak
I'll give my support to a combination of the plans of @Kriss and @ruffino.