Where is US oil largely sourced from? Remember, they have neither Alaska nor Texas ITTL. And even then- Russia has domestic oil supplies which it can continually exploit, Germany has to buy from either Britain (who wouldn’t exactly be their best buddy) or the CSA (who would be more open to it- but I’m planning a communist revolution there, so it will also be unreliable). If they have Mesopotamia, they can at least cheaply stockpile as much as they can before it’s overrun.
There still is oil in other parts of the US, nowhere near OTL level but still substantial.
There wouldn’t be much point in doing this because then you have developed all of the infrastructure for the Russians and spent a lot of money in the process, they can do stockpiles even without Mesopotamia.
No, I don’t think they’d ask Italy to give up Dalmatia- just to refrain from any further ambitions in the Balkans.
Promises aren't worth anything, Russia promised to not annex Poland in 1815.
ITTL they’ll have the opposite problem of OTL; not enough nepo baby noble generals have been taken out of the picture to allow the rising stars to effectively shine through- they’ll have to sort out the good generals while they’re at war just like OTL
It would still be better than OTL and even if it wasn't in the initial stages after the war they would have a competent leadership enough to compete with the German one.
The Freikorps were largely returning soldiers from a massive war where the communists were seen as traitors- ITTL, they may have some diehard supporters, but they don’t have the fertile grounds for radicalization like they did OTL. I suspect they’ll end up like Moseley’s BUF- somewhat successful, but the communists are overwhelmingly more popular among the people.
However government doesn't allow communist militias to form while it does allow fascist one.
Mussolini probably doesn't come to government but the fascists wouldn't be completely dead, unfortunately.
The Soviet Union managed to successfully survive with the bare minimum consumer goods OTL because of the way the system had been for the past few decades- a people who are used to living better are going to be much more demoralized when that’s taken away. Also, they have one critical resource with no domestic production: Rubber.
People in Russia wouldn't be living in paradise, going to war when the Germans provoke it isn't very difficult. Not having a few consumer goods to save the motherland isn't a problem.
Rubber can be transported to Russia, it isn't a massive problem to make it pass trough a few intermediaries.
Whatever misgivings you may have against the Italian navy- the Russian navy is just as bad if not worse, I assure you.
The Italians aren't lacking in the ships but they always had a very lacking leadership and the Russians would have a much better navy ITTL.
Germany will be one of the foremost naval powers in the world, that’s no easy feat.
Well a good part of their ships got sunk in WW1 and since they probably won't fight GB again they wouldn't have a massive build-up again, obviously it isn't easy but as long as St.Petersburg isn't in danger you are fine.
Russia has the disadvantage of being politically unstable, an issue Germany will be more than content to exploit.
Why would they be particularly unstable? The people won't rise when they aren't starving and the Decembrists' internal issues should be solved by that point, even if they weren’t there is no candidate who would be saying "let's just surrender to Germany", pretty much everyone will be fine with war since the Germans started it.

There still is oil in other parts of the US, nowhere near OTL level but still substantial.

The largest oil deposit out of Texas as far as I can see is in New Mexico- for one, a large portion of this supply would be used for domestic purposes, and secondly, Germany can’t rely on the US- Russia and the US would’ve had a long history of cooperation at this point- Russia supported America in the ACW, they have a mutual defence treaty against Britain in the Americas, and would have extensive trade and settlement treaties thanks to Alaska. Obviously Germany wouldn’t be shut out of trade with the US- but it would be understood that they’re not a reliable partner against Russia.

There wouldn’t be much point in doing this because then you have developed all of the infrastructure for the Russians and spent a lot of money in the process, they can do stockpiles even without Mesopotamia.

Mesopotamia makes it cheaper, though- and the oil industry is already there, developed by the Ottomans and (likely) French and British investors prewar. It’s better to at least have it be in your hands in the interwar.

Promises aren't worth anything, Russia promised to not annex Poland in 1815.

This isn’t just a promise, though- it would be a written clause in the peace agreement. Obviously it won’t stop Italy if it *REALLY* wants it in the long run, but theyhave to at least keep up pretenses immediately postwar, and it gives Russia an easy way to portray Italy as untrustworthy in diplomatic matters- its both good propaganda and good leverage if your enemy is technically breaking treaties by going against you.

It would still be better than OTL and even if it wasn't in the initial stages after the war they would have a competent leadership enough to compete with the German one.

That’s just the same situation as OTL, no? I agree the end result is better- a lot of talent hasn’t been purged- but they just have so many shitty officers that are politically connected it’ll take a large house cleaning to be as effective as they can be.

However government doesn't allow communist militias to form while it does allow fascist one.

The problem is that communist militias can be assembled pretty quickly due to their popular support, fascist militias will have to be assembled beforehand and can’t rely on popular support and reinforcement.

Mussolini probably doesn't come to government but the fascists wouldn't be completely dead, unfortunately.

I agree- I really feel he’d be analogous to Moseley’s position OTL.

People in Russia wouldn't be living in paradise, going to war when the Germans provoke it isn't very difficult. Not having a few consumer goods to save the motherland isn't a problem.

Outside trade will be choked- it’s not just “a few consumer goods”, it’s a large portion of the Russian economy (which hasn’t been closed ITTL) and the foreign assets of many Russian citizens.

Rubber can be transported to Russia, it isn't a massive problem to make it pass trough a few intermediaries.

A lot of Rubber production is in hostile hands, though, and the main route by which Russia will get it is either transported through the warlords of China or through pacific sea routes- routes which will be threatened if Japan is convinced to join.

The Italians aren't lacking in the ships but they always had a very lacking leadership and the Russians would have a much better navy ITTL.

Russia doesn’t exactly have stellar Admirals, either, and they don’t have the benefit of being a historically seafaring nation.

Well a good part of their ships got sunk in WW1 and since they probably won't fight GB again they wouldn't have a massive build-up again, obviously it isn't easy but as long as St.Petersburg isn't in danger you are fine.

Pushing their naval advantage will be one of their biggest benefits in any upcoming war- they’re not going to slack on it. They also have a massive overseas colonial empire they need to defend.

Why would they be particularly unstable? The people won't rise when they aren't starving and the Decembrists' internal issues should be solved by that point, even if they weren’t there is no candidate who would be saying "let's just surrender to Germany", pretty much everyone will be fine with war since the Germans started it.

No, I’m not talking any Lenin types- but Russia is going to have a difficult time stabilizing just by nature of their size and population. Especially as the Russian population gets richer and more educated- they’re going to be more exposed to other ideas.

Last edited:
The largest oil deposit out of Texas as far as I can see is in New Mexico- for one, a large portion of this supply would be used for domestic purposes, and secondly, Germany can’t rely on the US- Russia and the US would’ve had a long history of cooperation at this point- Russia supported America in the ACW, they have a mutual defence treaty against Britain in the Americas, and would have extensive trade and settlement treaties thanks to Alaska. Obviously Germany wouldn’t be shut out of trade with the US- but it would be understood that they’re not a reliable partner against Russia.
True, but I think that they will provide a small parr of Germany's oil supply since they don't have any conflicts with Germany.
Mesopotamia makes it cheaper, though- and the oil industry is already there, developed by the Ottomans and (likely) French and British investors prewar. It’s better to at least have it be in your hands in the interwar.
It would still not be finished and you just invested a lot of money to build fortifications which could've been used to buy oil.
This isn’t just a promise, though- it would be a written clause in the peace agreement. Obviously it won’t stop Italy if it *REALLY* wants it in the long run, but theyhave to at least keep up pretenses immediately postwar, and it gives Russia an easy way to portray Italy as untrustworthy in diplomatic matters- its both good propaganda and good leverage if your enemy is technically breaking treaties by going against you.
How do you put that clause in a treaty which divides the spoils of the Entente? Despite everything you cannot write a clause which punishes your ally.
That’s just the same situation as OTL, no? I agree the end result is better- a lot of talent hasn’t been purged- but they just have so many shitty officers that are politically connected it’ll take a large house cleaning to be as effective as they can be.
You have officers unlike Stalin's army and the best leadership has been achieved thanks to WW1, and since the Aristocracy is much less powerful you have a much better starting position.
Outside trade will be choked- it’s not just “a few consumer goods”, it’s a large portion of the Russian economy (which hasn’t been closed ITTL) and the foreign assets of many Russian citizens.
You're waging total war for survival, there is no time to worry about the details.
A lot of Rubber production is in hostile hands, though, and the main route by which Russia will get it is either transported through the warlords of China or through pacific sea routes- routes which will be threatened if Japan is convinced to join.
Or Iran.
Russia doesn’t exactly have stellar Admirals, either, and they don’t have the benefit of being a historically seafaring nation.
Just as with the land army they have a better starting position and the Italian admirals are stellarly incompetent.
Pushing their naval advantage will be one of their biggest benefits in any upcoming war- they’re not going to slack on it. They also have a massive overseas colonial empire they need to defend.
Massive colonies... depends with who you compare.
Anyways the Russians will understand thar and they will try to catch up, they have more resources than Germany in the long term.
No, I’m not talking any Lenin types- but Russia is going to have a difficult time stabilizing just by nature of their size and population
I don't see why they would be unstable, they've had a massive and had a lot of population for a while and they weren't particularly unstable up until WW1.

True, but I think that they will provide a small parr of Germany's oil supply since they don't have any conflicts with Germany.

Probably, I’m just saying it’s not a source Germany can rely on.

It would still not be finished and you just invested a lot of money to build fortifications which could've been used to buy oil.

Why buy oil when you can extract and store it much cheaper?

How do you put that clause in a treaty which divides the spoils of the Entente? Despite everything you cannot write a clause which punishes your ally.

It’s not a punishment- it’s an agreement. Italy is benefitting from it, I’m pretty sure that was a part of OTL WW1, too.

You have officers unlike Stalin's army and the best leadership has been achieved thanks to WW1, and since the Aristocracy is much less powerful you have a much better starting position.

Careful- you’re starting to think like the French high command! But seriously, having an ossified command structure comprised of old guard WW1 officers was one of France’s biggest problem, and the aristocratic history of the command structure would make it more difficult for rising stars like Zhukov and Tukhachevsky to shine.

You're waging total war for survival, there is no time to worry about the details.

They’re not, though- this Germany is not the Nazis, they’re not massacring your people and exterminating you. This a war for Russia’s great power status- also quite pressing, but not quite the great patriotic war of OTL.

You really gonna trust the British to get your vital resources?
Then again, that does mean Britain will be a major factor ITTL, seeing how they can chokehold vital resources from both nations. I can see it being a race against who tugs Britain out of isolationism faster.

Just as with the land army they have a better starting position and the Italian admirals are stellarly incompetent.

The Russian navy would’ve seen limited conflict in WW1, so they don’t have the benefit of experience- or if good admiralty. My bet is on the Italian navy, regardless.

Massive colonies... depends with who you compare.
Anyways the Russians will understand thar and they will try to catch up, they have more resources than Germany in the long term.

Russia can never hope to compare to any one single fleet of the Germans, though- just by nature of essentially having 3 separate navies.

I don't see why they would be unstable, they've had a massive and had a lot of population for a while and they weren't particularly unstable up until WW1.

Richer, freer, people + large hinterland with rural populants + large ethnic groups and communication with neighbouring countries = ideas the government doesn’t quite want flourishing

Probably, I’m just saying it’s not a source Germany can rely on
I forgot to ask why is the CS having a revolution if they didn't join the war?
Why buy oil when you can extract and store it much cheaper?
Time, they don't have the time to build fortifications and develop the oilfields further since the Germans want to go to war ASAP. Also doing all of this costs also money.
It’s not a punishment- it’s an agreement. Italy is benefitting from it, I’m pretty sure that was a part of OTL WW1, too.
It can't be part of the peacedeal, it would probably be a non-agression pact with Serbia but I'm not sure the Italians will respect it or that Russia would believe the Italians.
Careful- you’re starting to think like the French high command! But seriously, having an ossified command structure comprised of old guard WW1 officers was one of France’s biggest problem, and the aristocratic history of the command structure would make it more difficult for rising stars like Zhukov and Tukhachevsky to shine.
It's better than OTL because they aren't members of the Aristocracy who would be angered if their son was refused in the military, it wouldn't be perfect but there is more room for them to shine. How ossified the military leadership is also depends on how influential the military leadership is on the military at that point since it was very influential IOTL Third French Republic politics.
You really gonna trust the British to get your vital resources?
They're broke and therefore they would accept to do so for a slightly higher price than normal.
Then again, that does mean Britain will be a major factor ITTL, seeing how they can chokehold vital resources from both nations. I can see it being a race against who tugs Britain out of isolationism faster
Britain wouldn't side with anyone they would just do profit at Germany's and Russia's expense, but since Germany is much more dependent on GB than Russia is the Germans would be the ones suffering the most from this, also because they're losing the war.
The Russian navy would’ve seen limited conflict in WW1, so they don’t have the benefit of experience- or if good admiralty. My bet is on the Italian navy, regardless.
Constantinople would be the place where a massive Russian naval build-up would happen
They obviously would have problems but the Russians don't need to win on the naval front they just need to survive.
Russia can never hope to compare to any one single fleet of the Germans, though- just by nature of essentially having 3 separate navies.
But they don't need to, they just need to protect St.Petersburg, the war will be decided on land.
Richer, freer, people + large hinterland with rural populants + large ethnic groups and communication with neighbouring countries = ideas the government doesn’t quite want flourishing
It is a war for survival and the most important consumer goods would be made in Russia, they will have domestic textile production it won't be as good as the fancy ones imported but you will survive.
Also, given the butterflies, it’s not assured that the Italian leadership is as incompetent
See the Italian leadership in WW1.

I forgot to ask why is the CS having a revolution if they didn't join the war?

British isolationism and French defeat throws the CS into economic turmoil, since their interests basically dominated the CS economy.

Time, they don't have the time to build fortifications and develop the oilfields further since the Germans want to go to war ASAP. Also doing all of this costs also money.

Germany would not be going to war soon. They need to accumulate resources and rebuild- oil is vital, there is no German offensive against Russia without developed oil fields. Also, you’ll have to wait like, a generation- the war would be wildly unpopular with the common people.

It can't be part of the peacedeal, it would probably be a non-agression pact with Serbia but I'm not sure the Italians will respect it or that Russia would believe the Italians.

It’s not about believing them, it’s about garnering popular support if they DO break it- if you have proof they broke their promise, it riles the population up more against them.

It's better than OTL because they aren't members of the Aristocracy who would be angered if their son was refused in the military, it wouldn't be perfect but there is more room for them to shine. How ossified the military leadership is also depends on how influential the military leadership is on the military at that point since it was very influential IOTL Third French Republic politics.

The Decembrists started out as a military organization- they would be VERY politically intertwined.

They're broke and therefore they would accept to do so for a slightly higher price than normal.

That’s not what I mean- I feel Russia would have some reservations on relying on British transport lol

Britain wouldn't side with anyone they would just do profit at Germany's and Russia's expense, but since Germany is much more dependent on GB than Russia is the Germans would be the ones suffering the most from this, also because they're losing the war.

Britain would be getting rich off the war- much like the US OTL. Though this all depends on how much of their empire the British have managed to preserve since the end of WW1.

Constantinople would be the place where a massive Russian naval build-up would happen
They obviously would have problems but the Russians don't need to win on the naval front they just need to survive.

Constantinople is a great choke point- I don’t see any repeats of the Crimean war at least, but Italy would dominate the seas outside of that.

But they don't need to, they just need to protect St.Petersburg, the war will be decided on land.

How long can they do that, though? Germany is no pushover on land nor sea, and if Germany successfully cripples the Baltic fleet then it is potentially disastrous for Russia.

It is a war for survival and the most important consumer goods would be made in Russia, they will have domestic textile production it won't be as good as the fancy ones imported but you will survive.

Why would it be a battle for survival? And that’s not the point- the longer the war progresses, the more of Russia’s resources go to the war and the less will be left for the people. Trade would usually soothe this, but seeing as Russia is blockaded- that becomes difficult.

See the Italian leadership in WW1.

Things can change.

British isolationism and French defeat throws the CS into economic turmoil, since their interests basically dominated the CS economy.
Hard to see if they are relatively successful, they could have an economic crisis due to lack of trade but I doubt that will be enough unless it is combined with another factor or if it is prolonged a lot due to incompetent leadership.
Germany would not be going to war soon. They need to accumulate resources and rebuild- oil is vital, there is no German offensive against Russia without developed oil fields. Also, you’ll have to wait like, a generation- the war would be wildly unpopular with the common people.
But if you wait a generation all chances of defeating Russia are gone, you have to strike immediately to have a chance to defeat them. And they would try to trade with GB for oil though I'm pretty sure that there would be some problems.
It’s not about believing them, it’s about garnering popular support if they DO break it- if you have proof they broke their promise, it riles the population up more against them.
If you are going to war it means there is popular support because otherwise those leaders wouldn’t have come to power.
The Decembrists started out as a military organization- they would be VERY politically intertwined.
That’s a century ago, a lot of things can happen in the meantime.
That’s not what I mean- I feel Russia would have some reservations on relying on British transport lol
If they refuse it can also pass trough China.
Britain would be getting rich off the war- much like the US OTL. Though this all depends on how much of their empire the British have managed to preserve since the end of WW1
Britain would be broke, unlike the US they didn’t join at the last moment, millions have died and they cannot manage the economic part of the war without US help, IOTL the US saved with a loan when they were on the verge of bankrupcy.
Constantinople is a great choke point- I don’t see any repeats of the Crimean war at least, but Italy would dominate the seas outside of that.
Also because of the Greek isles.
How long can they do that, though? Germany is no pushover on land nor sea, and if Germany successfully cripples the Baltic fleet then it is potentially disastrous for Russia.
Even if they do St.Petersburg has fortifications which protect it such as Kronsdat.
And the war on land would inevitably be a Russian victory.
Why would it be a battle for survival? And that’s not the point- the longer the war progresses, the more of Russia’s resources go to the war and the less will be left for the people.
It is a war for survival since the Germans want to destroy you to make sure you can never threaten their hegemony and the Germans started it.
Russia has plenty of resources, they will manage the basic needs of the people and Germany will collaps decades before Russia.

Hard to see if they are relatively successful, they could have an economic crisis due to lack of trade but I doubt that will be enough unless it is combined with another factor or if it is prolonged a lot due to incompetent leadership.

Once Britain and France are there, the CS will have a hard time getting them out- nor would they want to, since Franco-British support is what keeps them from being stomped by the US.

But if you wait a generation all chances of defeating Russia are gone, you have to strike immediately to have a chance to defeat them. And they would try to trade with GB for oil though I'm pretty sure that there would be some problems.

A quick war against Russia just isn’t realistic soon after WW1. Germany NEEDS to know it will be able to decisively beat Russia early in the war, otherwise they know they’d lose eventually anyway, and that’s not possible within a measly decade. I wouldn’t say waiting would make Russia invulnerable, either- Germany would remain the economic centre of Europe for a while, if anything they’d wait for there to be a sign of weakness in Russia. As afraid as the high command might be, that doesn’t mean that Germany will throw itself into another destructive war- if anything, it would mean they’d try cautious diplomacy. Germany and Russia would remain huge trade partners, too.

If you are going to war it means there is popular support because otherwise those leaders wouldn’t have come to power.

There won’t be popular support for another war that soon after WW1- even OTL Britain and France were extremely reluctant to go to war again, and that was a good 20 years after the last war. Russia isn’t Nazi Germany, so there wouldn’t be the same impetus to act.

That’s a century ago, a lot of things can happen in the meantime.

They would in all likeliness still stay tied to the military. That’s where they got their support and how they took power, after all.

If they refuse it can also pass trough China.

Which isn’t exactly the safest route.

Britain would be broke, unlike the US they didn’t join at the last moment, millions have died and they cannot manage the economic part of the war without US help, IOTL the US saved with a loan when they were on the verge of bankrupcy.

What I mean is they’d be getting rich from Russian/German money.

Also because of the Greek isles.

Those would be the main naval battleground, I imagine.

Even if they do St.Petersburg has fortifications which protect it such as Kronsdat.

That doesn’t stop naval shelling, though.

And the war on land would inevitably be a Russian victory.

eventually, maybe- but that would take years.

It is a war for survival since the Germans want to destroy you to make sure you can never threaten their hegemony and the Germans started it.

In other words- a war to keep their power. This isn’t nearly the same as OTL where the Nazis were trying to exterminate their people- obviously people would be riled up, but it’s not a “Great Patriotic War.”

Russia has plenty of resources, they will manage the basic needs of the people and Germany will collaps decades before Russia.

You make it sound as though Germany is hopelessly outmatched.

Last edited:
Once Britain and France are there, the CS will have a hard time getting them out- nor would they want to, since Franco-British support is what keeps them from being stomped by the US.
In that case the CS is basically a Franco-British colony.
A quick war against Russia just isn’t realistic soon after WW1. Germany NEEDS to know it will be able to decisively beat Russia early in the war, otherwise they know they’d lose eventually anyway, and that’s not possible within a measly decade. I wouldn’t say waiting would make Russia invulnerable, either- Germany would remain the economic centre of Europe for a while, if anything they’d wait for there to be a sign of weakness in Russia. As afraid as the high command might be, that doesn’t mean that Germany will throw itself into another destructive war- if anything, it would mean they’d try cautious diplomacy. Germany and Russia would remain huge trade partners.
Russia will only get stronger overtime since it will give them time to recover and to catch up with Germany even more.
It's not impossible that the Germans don't go to war but IMO they either go all in and try to start a conflict with Russia ASAP or they accept Russia’s existence and do nothing.
There won’t be popular support for another war that soon after WW1- even OTL Britain and France were extremely reluctant to go to war again, and that was a good 20 years after the last war. Russia isn’t Nazi Germany, so there wouldn’t be the same impetus to act.
I know but the Italians also fear the Russians, while they wouldn't join immediately they definitely will join Germany unless it collapses immediately which is unlikely.
They would in all likeliness still stay tied to the military. That’s where they got their support and how they took power, after all.
But their influence will probably lessen over time which would allow for some reforms especially if Democratic reforms are made.
Which isn’t exactly the safest route.
Safe enough, also the British don't have a reason to not trade with Russia unless it decides to attack (or threatens to) the British oilfields to deny Germany its supply of oil.
What I mean is they’d be getting rich from Russian/German money.
More German than Russian.
That doesn’t stop naval shelling, though.
Those ships are at risk of being sunk if they do that.
eventually, maybe- but that would take years.
Yes, just as any Great War.
In other words- a war to keep their power. This isn’t nearly the same as OTL where the Nazis were trying to exterminate their people- obviously people would be riled up, but it’s not a “Great Patriotic War
The Germans wouldn't have the same ideas as the Nazis but they would try to prevent Russia from rising again, that doesn't mean mass genocides but if you lose the war it means the end for the Russian Empire, so it is a Great Patriotic War.
You make it sound as though Germany is hopelessly outmatched.
It is, they don't have the resources to remain in the fight too long, OTL they were out of food after 4 years and that was when they controlled Ukraine so ITTL they at best made little progress in Russian territory and at worst have parts of Germany under Russian occupation and their allies collapsing in the meantime.
Different leadership is certainly possible.
It would be slightly better than in WW1 but not enough to be called a competent leadership.

In that case the CS is basically a Franco-British colony.

I wouldn’t go that far, but they are subservient to them, yes.

Russia will only get stronger overtime since it will give them time to recover and to catch up with Germany even more.

Germany has economic control over Europe and much of Africa- they have time to get stronger, too.

It's not impossible that the Germans don't go to war but IMO they either go all in and try to start a conflict with Russia ASAP or they accept Russia’s existence and do nothing.

I feel like they’d be cordial with each other at first directly after WW1 but then transition into something like the relationship Britain and Russia had in the 19th century.

I know but the Italians also fear the Russians, while they wouldn't join immediately they definitely will join Germany unless it collapses immediately which is unlikely.

Italy would only join once something sets them off- before that they’d just be providing support.

But their influence will probably lessen over time which would allow for some reforms especially if Democratic reforms are made.

I mean, just the legacy of being a military organization will keep the military powerful in Russian politics.

Safe enough, also the British don't have a reason to not trade with Russia unless it decides to attack (or threatens to) the British oilfields to deny Germany its supply of oil.

The China route would likely be prone to raids. The British would sell to Russia, but it’s like the US to Germany- they can’t rely on it or it becomes a choke point.

More German than Russian.

Rubber is vital to a modern military, and Russia lacks it chronically.

Those ships are at risk of being sunk if they do that.

If Germany cripples the Russian fleet, they’ll likely be able to brush anti-naval gun fire off for long enough to shell Petersburg.

Yes, just as any Great War.

Russia’s biggest threat here is Germany forming a coalition against them, so in essence it’s a race against time.

The Germans wouldn't have the same ideas as the Nazis but they would try to prevent Russia from rising again, that doesn't mean mass genocides but if you lose the war it means the end for the Russian Empire, so it is a Great Patriotic War.

Yes, but you wouldn’t have the same rallying point as in OTL; if the Soviets lost, their families would be murdered and land pillaged. If Russia loses here, their country gets chopped up. It’s not the same rallying cry; it’s not as personal for the average soldier.

It is, they don't have the resources to remain in the fight too long, OTL they were out of food after 4 years and that was when they controlled Ukraine so ITTL they at best made little progress in Russian territory and at worst have parts of Germany under Russian occupation and their allies collapsing in the meantime.

Which is why I don’t think Germany would rush headlong into an offensive war. They’d be taking diplomatic actions to try and contain Russia, and they can’t reasonably strike before Russia strengthens to a point they’d be able to decisively win against. War is a last resort.

It would be slightly better than in WW1 but not enough to be called a competent leadership.

Russia has similar problems with the Navy, which wouldn’t have the benefit of experience like the army- the Italian navy would’ve at least fought on the seas.

I think im going to have the Russo-German split end up in a sort of Cold War situation where they fight by proxy and diplomacy until a “final showdown” in the 40’s-50’s.

Germany has economic control over Europe and much of Africa- they have time to get stronger, too.
In a decade? No. And you can see in WW2 that Germany controlled all of Europe and how it went, here there is a potential enemy France, the Balkans are your enemies and Russia is much bigger.
I feel like they’d be cordial with each other at first directly after WW1 but then transition into something like the relationship Britain and Russia had in the 19th century
The Germans would be worried about Russia immediately.
Italy would only join once something sets them off- before that they’d just be providing support
Italy isn't really capable to help Germany, they are poor in resources and not the best military equipment.
The China route would likely be prone to raids. The British would sell to Russia, but it’s like the US to Germany- they can’t rely on it or it becomes a choke point.
China route isn't that dangerous, people aren't going to risk their lives for rubber if it is well defended and the Russians will defend it.
I mean, just the legacy of being a military organization will keep the military powerful in Russian politics
Things change in 90 years, everything depends on what happens in the meantime.
Rubber is vital to a modern military, and Russia lacks it chronically
These are the early days of tanks and aviation, it is somewhat important but not vital yet since most transports are made by horse or by train.
If Germany cripples the Russian fleet, they’ll likely be able to brush anti-naval gun fire off for long enough to shell Petersburg
Sea mines would be dangerous and just shelling isn't enough you have to do serious damage, destroying a few houses won't be enough.
Russia’s biggest threat here is Germany forming a coalition against them, so in essence it’s a race against time.
Not really, Germany can only count on itself abd Hungary, with Japan and Italy joining later if the war is going fine, if they are lucky Greece also joins. Meanwhile Russia can certainly count on itself, Bulgaria, Romania and Yugoslavia and when the war goes south for Germany France is likely to join.
A coalition isn't that threatening, at best the Germans would be able to rally Italy and Japan at the beginning but Italy has shown how much it is powerful and Japan has already been defeated in a similar situation. Not really threatening you.
Yes, but you wouldn’t have the same rallying point as in OTL; if the Soviets lost, their families would be murdered and land pillaged. If Russia loses here, their country gets chopped up. It’s not the same rallying cry; it’s not as personal for the average soldier.
For a good part it is, those living in these area who would be conquered won't like German occupation, and patriotism is a reason for the rest.
Which is why I don’t think Germany would rush headlong into an offensive war. They’d be taking diplomatic actions to try and contain Russia, and they can’t reasonably strike before Russia strengthens to a point they’d be able to decisively win against. War is a last resort.
The old method to fail, those who tried are the losers today, France, Britain, Ottomans and AH have tried and you can see how successful it was.
If they wait Russia would certainly surpass Germany so you either try to stop it now or you accept that you cannot be the hegemon of Europe and that there is always the risk the Russians come to you. War is the last resort but you don't have much options.
Russia has similar problems with the Navy, which wouldn’t have the benefit of experience like the army- the Italian navy would’ve at least fought on the seas.
The Russians did fight on sea with the Ottomans and British in the Black sea, they did gain experience.
I think im going to have the Russo-German split end up in a sort of Cold War situation where they fight by proxy and diplomacy until a “final showdown” in the 40’s-50's
Germany would know they are hopelessly outmatched at that point.

In a decade? No. And you can see in WW2 that Germany controlled all of Europe and how it went, here there is a potential enemy France, the Balkans are your enemies and Russia is much bigger.

WW2 is a significantly different scenario, though. Germany isn’t subjugating the other nations of Europe for the most part, they’re just the strongest economy. Also, I think you’re overestimating Russia, even if it industrialized sooner it would take long before it reached it full potential- Germany has numerous advantages it can exploit.

The Germans would be worried about Russia immediately.

There’d definitely be some in the high command, but that does not ring true for the entire civilian government of Germany. There would be attempts made to have a continued cordial relationship, at least.

Italy isn't really capable to help Germany, they are poor in resources and not the best military equipment.

The Italian economy, if nothing else, would be strong- they can provide food from southern Italy, too.

China route isn't that dangerous, people aren't going to risk their lives for rubber if it is well defended and the Russians will defend it.

This is warlord era China, every resource that can be scavenged or ransomed will be. This isn’t the common people, these are the warlords intercepting trade.

Things change in 90 years, everything depends on what happens in the meantime.

You’d need some crisis to stop the influence of the military.

These are the early days of tanks and aviation, it is somewhat important but not vital yet since most transports are made by horse or by train.

If Germany has tanks and planes while Russia doesn’t, you can be sure they’ll be advancing deep into Russia.

Sea mines would be dangerous and just shelling isn't enough you have to do serious damage, destroying a few houses won't be enough.

Starting a fire IS dangerous, though.

Not really, Germany can only count on itself abd Hungary, with Japan and Italy joining later if the war is going fine, if they are lucky Greece also joins. Meanwhile Russia can certainly count on itself, Bulgaria, Romania and Yugoslavia and when the war goes south for Germany France is likely to join.
A coalition isn't that threatening, at best the Germans would be able to rally Italy and Japan at the beginning but Italy has shown how much it is powerful and Japan has already been defeated in a similar situation. Not really threatening you.

Russia’s Balkan allies aren’t puppets, and if Russia doesn’t handle the Yugoslav-Bulgarian issue with some tact it could sway one of them to the German side (likely Bulgaria). Germany has economic hegemony over Europe, they can push that advantage. And again, if Germany is as outmatched as you say, they’re not going to start an offensive war- better to coexist with Russia than lose your empire in a predetermined war.

For a good part it is, those living in these area who would be conquered won't like German occupation, and patriotism is a reason for the rest.

Russia has thousands of unhappy ethnic minorities, especially in the west- the Germans aren’t genocidal, they can play their cards right. Patriotism isn’t the same as fighting an existential war.

The old method to fail, those who tried are the losers today, France, Britain, Ottomans and AH have tried and you can see how successful it was.
If they wait Russia would certainly surpass Germany so you either try to stop it now or you accept that you cannot be the hegemon of Europe and that there is always the risk the Russians come to you. War is the last resort but you don't have much options.

Russia still doesn’t have the large educated population, the massive industrial output, or the international sway that Germany has yet- Germany has even less chance in an offensive war early on, while the population still sees Russia as brothers-in-arms and are recovering from a massive war. People would riot. Germany has every chance to try and sway the surrounding powers.

The Russians did fight on sea with the Ottomans and British in the Black sea, they did gain experience.

Russia would’ve been consigned to territorial defense, unless Britain tries to pull another Crimea, then there would be very limited engagement.

Germany would know they are hopelessly outmatched at that point.

Germany has a lot more potential allies around the world. I do feel you’re overestimating Russia.

WW2 is a significantly different scenario, though. Germany isn’t subjugating the other nations of Europe for the most part, they’re just the strongest economy. Also, I think you’re overestimating Russia, even if it industrialized sooner it would take long before it reached it full potential- Germany has numerous advantages it can exploit.
Germany isn't subjugating Europe but they have less reliable allies than Russia and always have a threat on their Western border.
I'm not overestimating Russia, this version of it is much more powerful than the USSR, it didn't massacrate its officers, a less dissatisfied population, has more population and is more industrialized than OTL Soviet Union. There is no way Germany is winning this, even more if they let Russia catch up with Germany further, its only real problem is having a not extremely competent leadership but they had time to fix that during WW1 and Germany always has a not stellar leadership.
There’d definitely be some in the high command, but that does not ring true for the entire civilian government of Germany. There would be attempts made to have a continued cordial relationship, at least.
Civilian government was also obsessed with Russia, there always was fear of Russia due to population.
The Italian economy, if nothing else, would be strong- they can provide food from southern Italy, too.
Italian economy isn't very good, they industrialized massively after WW2 IRL but before that they were very poor and while they can sell food that isn't enough to satisfy the German demand.
This is warlord era China, every resource that can be scavenged or ransomed will be. This isn’t the common people, these are the warlords intercepting trade.
Warlords aren't difficult to convince, just give them a little bit of money and your cargo will never be intercepted.
You’d need some crisis to stop the influence of the military.
Their influence can diminish.
If Germany has tanks and planes while Russia doesn’t, you can be sure they’ll be advancing deep into Russia.
I'm talking a decade after WW1, tanks and aviation are still in their early form not able for the moment to replace artillery for offensives.
Starting a fire IS dangerous, though.
But not dangerous enough to make Russia capitulate, it's not like St.Petersburg doesn't have firefighters.
Russia’s Balkan allies aren’t puppets, and if Russia doesn’t handle the Yugoslav-Bulgarian issue with some tact it could sway one of them to the German side (likely Bulgaria). Germany has economic hegemony over Europe, they can push that advantage. And again, if Germany is as outmatched as you say, they’re not going to start an offensive war- better to coexist with Russia than lose your empire in a predetermined war.
The Balkans are puppets of Russia in a geopolitical sense, they will always join it in a war.
Yugoslav-Bulgar tensions are present but they're not enough to make either join the German camp, they did so OTL because they felt abandoned by Russia in favor of Serbia but here they got all they could've ever desired no need to join the Germans.
Germany doesn't have economic hegemony over Europe, it has a big economy but it isn't unchallenged, and since Russia has more population and resources than Germany I doubt they will be so far behind.
Everybody always underestimates their opponents and overestimates themselves.
Russia has thousands of unhappy ethnic minorities, especially in the west- the Germans aren’t genocidal, they can play their cards right. Patriotism isn’t the same as fighting an existential war.
Ukrainians and Bielorussians are similar to the Russians. Balts are unhappy with their German nobility which doesn't encourage them to join Germany, Finns are happy with their autonomy who isn't removed by Nicky II. The Poles are unhappy but they don't love the Germans either.
Arabs and CA are a problem but not really life threatening for them.
Also Germany has its own problems with the large French population which they annexed.
Russia still doesn’t have the large educated population, the massive industrial output, or the international sway that Germany has yet- Germany has even less chance in an offensive war early on, while the population still sees Russia as brothers-in-arms and are recovering from a massive war. People would riot. Germany has every chance to try and sway the surrounding powers.
Why not? 90 years of development have done nothing to improve the situation in Russia?
Russia would’ve been consigned to territorial defense, unless Britain tries to pull another Crimea, then there would be very limited engagement.
Ottomans would be helped by the Entente since they would be worried about the Russians winning both on land and on sea, and they have combat experience with the Ottomans anyways, it's enough to understand what commanders are trash and those who are worth something.
Germany has a lot more potential allies around the world. I do feel you’re overestimating Russia.
Not really, the US and its sphere are Russian friendly and in WW1 this sphere won against the British one.
Germany could try to ally with the CSA but not really an important ally. Japan is not unlikely to join Germany but it already went badly for them once so there would be reluctance. Apart from these two who are you going to ally with in the world? At best there is an Kuomintang like movement which you can support but it's unlikely.
Most of the world is colonized so your alliances in Europe are your alliances in the world.
I think im going to have the Russo-German split end up in a sort of Cold War situation where they fight by proxy and diplomacy until a “final showdown” in the 40’s-50's.
There are some essential elements of the Cold War which are lacking. There is no threat of mutual assured destruction so at the first escalation war will break out and there is no ideological split between the two (and most of the world is colonized which changes a lot in its development).

Last edited:
Germany isn't subjugating Europe but they have less reliable allies than Russia and always have a threat on their Western border.

Russia’s allies are close but they’re not going to join for no reason. Germany not subjugating Europe allows them to better access European markets and industries.

I'm not overestimating Russia, this version of it is much more powerful than the USSR, it didn't massacrate its officers, a less dissatisfied population, has more population and is more industrialized than OTL Soviet Union.

I wouldn’t say it’s more industrialized than the USSR. Say what you will about the USSR, they did undeniably build up a massive heavy industry base. The main difference here is that this Russia doesn’t slack on light industry- this Russia will be able to produce luxury and commercial goods outside of raw resources and arms like the USSR did- but they also won’t be the juggernaut they were OTL in terms of heavy industry.

There is no way Germany is winning this, even more if they let Russia catch up with Germany further, its only real problem is having a not extremely competent leadership but they had time to fix that during WW1 and Germany always has a not stellar leadership.

The German high command had issues, but they weren’t incompetent. Germany also has a massive colonial empire they can eat resources from- they’ll have the Congo, an extremely resource rich region, and various other Asian and African colonies. They’re not as big as Russia, but they’re not outmatched by any means.

Civilian government was also obsessed with Russia, there always was fear of Russia due to population.

The civilian government wouldn’t be aching for war. Fear doesn’t immediately or definitively transfer to aggression- they could try and outdo Russia, isolate Russia, or accomodate Russia- whichever seems most beneficial.

Italian economy isn't very good, they industrialized massively after WW2 IRL but before that they were very poor and while they can sell food that isn't enough to satisfy the German demand.

They have a lot more influence and control over med. trade routes ITTL, and they’ve expanded significantly- their economic development isn’t impossible.

Warlords aren't difficult to convince, just give them a little bit of money and your cargo will never be intercepted.

You place a lot of faith in people who in many cases amount to bandit leaders.

Their influence can diminish.

Not without cause, though.

I'm talking a decade after WW1, tanks and aviation are still in their early form not able for the moment to replace artillery for offensives.

They likely won’t be going to war a decade after WW1.

But not dangerous enough to make Russia capitulate, it's not like St.Petersburg doesn't have firefighters.

It’s awful for morale if your capital is consistently getting shelled, though.

The Balkans are puppets of Russia in a geopolitical sense, they will always join it in a war.

Russia doesn’t control their foreign policy. Russia can influence them, and their populations are for the most part on the Russian side- but they can certainly refuse.

Yugoslav-Bulgar tensions are present but they're not enough to make either join the German camp, they did so OTL because they felt abandoned by Russia in favor of Serbia but here they got all they could've ever desired no need to join the Germans.

They would feel threatened by Serbia, if nothing else, and have no reason to join on Russia’s side themselves.

Germany doesn't have economic hegemony over Europe, it has a big economy but it isn't unchallenged, and since Russia has more population and resources than Germany I doubt they will be so far behind.
Everybody always underestimates their opponents and overestimates themselves.

Russia can grow in production, but it won’t be able to replace Germany as the financial center of Europe for a while.

Ukrainians and Bielorussians are similar to the Russians.

That hasn’t stopped them from being rebellious.

Balts are unhappy with their German nobility which doesn't encourage them to join Germany,

The grass is always greener- Russia is russifiying them, they’re more unhappy with the state than with their nobles.

Finns are happy with their autonomy who isn't removed by Nicky II.

That’s true.

The Poles are unhappy but they don't love the Germans either.

Germany could certainly incite polish rebellion, the problem is they wouldn’t want to, since it would be dangerous for THEIR border regions- not to say it wouldn’t still happen, though.

Arabs and CA are a problem but not really life threatening for them.

They soak up Russian resources trying to quell, which isn’t ideal.

Also Germany has its own problems with the large French population which they annexed.

They don’t have many French people in Germany itself- most of it is in its puppet Belgium, which I agree would be unstable- but that’s just one on the European continent compared to Russia’s dozens. Also, you’re forgetting the Caucasus- that oil is important.

Why not? 90 years of development have done nothing to improve the situation in Russia?

They started from completely different points. Russia is larger both in size and scale than Germany, so it would take quite long for the infrastructure and systems to be built- time which Germany spends making an educated, rich populace.

Ottomans would be helped by the Entente since they would be worried about the Russians winning both on land and on sea, and they have combat experience with the Ottomans anyways, it's enough to understand what commanders are trash and those who are worth something.

The Crimean landing isn’t likely to be repeated, though- the naval actions of the entente will likely be to batter Russia’s fleet in a decisive battle and return to defend Constantinople.

Not really, the US and its sphere are Russian friendly and in WW1 this sphere won against the British one.
Germany could try to ally with the CSA but not really an important ally. Japan is not unlikely to join Germany but it already went badly for them once so there would be reluctance. Apart from these two who are you going to ally with in the world? At best there is an Kuomintang like movement which you can support but it's unlikely.
Most of the world is colonized so your alliances in Europe are your alliances in the world.

The various new mega states in Latin America, likely richer and more important globally, could be coerced to join- though the most important ally Germany would seek is a rebuilt Britain.

There are some essential elements of the Cold War which are lacking. There is no threat of mutual assured destruction so at the first escalation war will break out and there is no ideological split between the two (and most of the world is colonized which changes a lot in its development).

It’s not really the Cold War of OTL- it’s more so the great power politics of the 19th century except with only 2(.5) powers. War WILL come- but they’ll try to find beneficial compromises before then, because neither is assured of their victory in a large scale war.

Russia’s allies are close but they’re not going to join for no reason. Germany not subjugating Europe allows them to better access European markets and industries.
They will almost surely join, if nothing else because they can gain something from the war, Yugoslavia and Romania want more of Hungary and Bulgaria can be persuaded in exchange of small gains for small participation (that's probably what they think will happen)
I wouldn’t say it’s more industrialized than the USSR. Say what you will about the USSR, they did undeniably build up a massive heavy industry base. The main difference here is that this Russia doesn’t slack on light industry- this Russia will be able to produce luxury and commercial goods outside of raw resources and arms like the USSR did- but they also won’t be the juggernaut they were OTL in terms of heavy industry.
Here they have more industries in general and more importantly who are much more efficient than the USSR's, and their natural resources are better exploited.
The civilian government wouldn’t be aching for war. Fear doesn’t immediately or definitively transfer to aggression- they could try and outdo Russia, isolate Russia, or accomodate Russia- whichever seems most beneficial.
They can try but outcompete Russia cannot be done in the long run so that leads to war immediately.
Isolating Russia is difficult, it's more probable they isolate you since Germany isn't very popular in Europe anyways and since most of the world is European colonies you are isolated add to that the US and its sphere are Russian friendly and you see that there aren't many who want to ally with you.
Accommodate Russia is possible but not really something the Germans are keen on doing if they are anything close to OTL.
They have a lot more influence and control over med. trade routes ITTL, and they’ve expanded significantly- their economic development isn’t impossible.
What happened after WW2 was a pure miracle, nobody expected that. The Italians lack the leadership who would do this. They would probably have a bigger economy than OTL but I still wouldn't consider them to the level of the others.
You place a lot of faith in people who in many cases amount to bandit leaders.
Money can buy everything and warlords prefer not attracting that kind of attention from the Russians and transporting them via train is safe.
Not without cause, though.
Especially if there are some sort of democratic reforms made by the Decembrists.
They likely won’t be going to war a decade after WW1.
I'm not saying that it's a 100% chance but I don't see them standing each other more than 25 years.
It’s awful for morale if your capital is consistently getting shelled, though.
Constantly, it would be more damaging to the Germans who constantly die on sea mines.
Russia doesn’t control their foreign policy. Russia can influence them, and their populations are for the most part on the Russian side- but they can certainly refuse.
Yugoslavia, Bulgaria and Romania would join the Russians in most cases and even in the unlikely case they don't they won't join the Germans.
They would feel threatened by Serbia, if nothing else, and have no reason to join on Russia’s side themselves.
They wouldn't really feel threatened by Yugoslavia, sure they may claim that Macedonia is rightfully Serb but apart from that they won't really try to take it and the Russians would prevent them if they tried. Bulgaria does have a reason to join the war, it would give them small bits of Romania and Yugoslavia in exchange for a few professional armies and some volunteers for the Russians, they wouldn't have to wage total war and would have decent gains, they could also decide not to but they wouldn't gain anything from that decision.
Russia can grow in production, but it won’t be able to replace Germany as the financial center of Europe for a while.
But it would still be a massive economy, also Germany was extremely rich OTL also but it didn't save them.
That hasn’t stopped them from being rebellious.
They are rebellious when an idiotic emperor makes them starve, here they don't starve so everything is fine.
The grass is always greener- Russia is russifiying them, they’re more unhappy with the state than with their nobles.
Not sure about that, Nicky II was trying to Russify them but that doesn't mean that the ones ITTL will.
Germany could certainly incite polish rebellion, the problem is they wouldn’t want to, since it would be dangerous for THEIR border regions- not to say it wouldn’t still happen, though.
Problem is you want to annex Poland or make a puppet state out of it and the Poles know that, I don't see them being enthusiastic to die to be a part of Germany.
They soak up Russian resources trying to quell, which isn’t ideal.
Not really, CA didn't rebel OTL, there were tensions between Russians and Muslims but they never rebelled.
The Arabs might try to rebel but it wouldn't be very successful and after the first few attempts they would give up unless Russia makes massive mistakes which make them hated to some stratospheric level. They would be annoying but they wouldn't be catastrophic.
They don’t have many French people in Germany itself- most of it is in its puppet Belgium, which I agree would be unstable- but that’s just one on the European continent compared to Russia’s dozens. Also, you’re forgetting the Caucasus- that oil is important.
And North-Eastern France all of that population would be willing to die to even just divert German resources.
Caucasus isn't really capable of breaking away, they could be annoying but they didn't do anything OTL in WW1, don't see why they would try now.
They started from completely different points. Russia is larger both in size and scale than Germany, so it would take quite long for the infrastructure and systems to be built- time which Germany spends making an educated, rich populace.
Making your populace educated isn't related to infrastructure, the Russians will first abolish serfdom and do agricultural reforms and then start industrialization and education, they would certainly succeed in having an educated and rich population maybe not on Germany's level but still.
The Crimean landing isn’t likely to be repeated, though- the naval actions of the entente will likely be to batter Russia’s fleet in a decisive battle and return to defend Constantinople.
The Entente doesn't have enough ships, in addition to Germany they have to worry about Italy and Greece in the Med so they will probably just send enough help for the Ottomans to not lose or have a slightly stronger fleet.
The various new mega states in Latin America, likely richer and more important globally, could be coerced to join- though the most important ally Germany would seek is a rebuilt Britain.
Lat Am is in the US sphere of influence and most of them wouldn't be rich since they still would have economies based on selling raw materials, one may've industrialized but it wouldn't necessarily prefer Germany and it certainly wouldn't want to get involved in the war for no reason.
GB wouldn't want to join, they've been destroyed by WW1, joining WW2 would be stupid and unpopular.
It’s not really the Cold War of OTL- it’s more so the great power politics of the 19th century except with only 2(.5) powers. War WILL come- but they’ll try to find beneficial compromises before then, because neither is assured of their victory in a large scale war.
Knowing what happened in WW2 with a far inferior 'Russia' I have no doubts on who will win and on what will they search compromises since they already partitioned Europe? Their only real battleground would be China.

They will almost surely join, if nothing else because they can gain something from the war, Yugoslavia and Romania want more of Hungary and Bulgaria can be persuaded in exchange of small gains for small participation (that's probably what they think will happen)

They won’t join pointlessly, though- especially Bulgaria would likely remain neutral.

Here they have more industries in general and more importantly who are much more efficient than the USSR's, and their natural resources are better exploited.

I wouldn’t say they have more industry than OTL, just a more diverse one. The soviets already heavily exploited their resources.

They can try but outcompete Russia cannot be done in the long run so that leads to war immediately.

Why not?

Isolating Russia is difficult, it's more probable they isolate you since Germany isn't very popular in Europe anyways and since most of the world is European colonies you are isolated add to that the US and its sphere are Russian friendly and you see that there aren't many who want to ally with you.

The US is in a downwards spiral and is in nowhere the state it was OTL, and Russia was already hated by much of Europe- Germany is a much more palatable option to, say, Scandinavia or Britain.

Accommodate Russia is possible but not really something the Germans are keen on doing if they are anything close to OTL.

If they are so afraid of Russia, then accommodating them to keep their empire safe isn’t off the table.

What happened after WW2 was a pure miracle, nobody expected that. The Italians lack the leadership who would do this. They would probably have a bigger economy than OTL but I still wouldn't consider them to the level of the others.

I didn’t mean them to be on the level of others- but they’d be among the top 5 in Europe, I’d say.

Money can buy everything and warlords prefer not attracting that kind of attention from the Russians and transporting them via train is safe.

Money buys anything until the Germans pay them more to keep raiding- and trains are certainly not foolproof if they’re going through bickering warlords, I can definitely imagine at least one warlord attacking a Russian convoy and blaming it on his rival.

Especially if there are some sort of democratic reforms made by the Decembrists.

The Decembrists as an organization would likely have a lot of ex-military, even in the case of democratic reforms.

I'm not saying that it's a 100% chance but I don't see them standing each other more than 25 years.

Assuming they end WW1 around the same time as OTL, that’s around the mid-early 1940’s, which I agree is reasonable

Constantly, it would be more damaging to the Germans who constantly die on sea mines.

Sea mines can only do so much, especially if they’re basically your only defense- if you have a crippled fleet, the enemy can run demining operations basically unmolested.

Yugoslavia, Bulgaria and Romania would join the Russians in most cases and even in the unlikely case they don't they won't join the Germans.

I agree on Yugoslavia and Romania, but Bulgaria would take some more convincing.

They wouldn't really feel threatened by Yugoslavia, sure they may claim that Macedonia is rightfully Serb but apart from that they won't really try to take it and the Russians would prevent them if they tried. Bulgaria does have a reason to join the war, it would give them small bits of Romania and Yugoslavia in exchange for a few professional armies and some volunteers for the Russians, they wouldn't have to wage total war and would have decent gains, they could also decide not to but they wouldn't gain anything from that decision.

Yugoslavia and Romania would never accept that- they’d sooner turn their armies on Bulgaria.

But it would still be a massive economy, also Germany was extremely rich OTL also but it didn't save them.

Germany had been played about the worst cards it could’ve gotten in WW1, without that, and in winning a war that sees them take over Britain as the economic giant of Europe, Germany would be a massive world economy.

They are rebellious when an idiotic emperor makes them starve, here they don't starve so everything is fine.

Starvation isn’t the only factor; while I agree Belarus and Ukraine wouldn’t be the most rebellious in the empire, it’s happened before, while they were experiencing normal harvests- when Poland revolted sometime I think in the 1860s(?) parts of Ukraine and Lithuania also revolted.

Not sure about that, Nicky II was trying to Russify them but that doesn't mean that the ones ITTL will.

The Decembrists are reformers, not saints- this is still the Russian EMPIRE, and empires don’t tend to be too keen on allowing rebellious groups to remain unassimilated. Ethnic equality, if it does come, would happen sometime in the 50’s-60’s.

Problem is you want to annex Poland or make a puppet state out of it and the Poles know that, I don't see them being enthusiastic to die to be a part of Germany.

the average soldier isn’t going to know whether what Germany promised is true or not- there would be many that see through Germany’s tricks, but there would be more still that take the chance to cast off Russian oppression. (And even those who recognize what Germany’s doing could try to seize the opportunity and deal with Germany later.)

Not really, CA didn't rebel OTL, there were tensions between Russians and Muslims but they never rebelled.

The chance is definitely there, though.

The Arabs might try to rebel but it wouldn't be very successful and after the first few attempts they would give up unless Russia makes massive mistakes which make them hated to some stratospheric level. They would be annoying but they wouldn't be catastrophic.

Rebellions don’t tend to “give up” just by force, they just wait for the next moment of weakness unless there is actual systemic change.

And North-Eastern France all of that population would be willing to die to even just divert German resources.
Caucasus isn't really capable of breaking away, they could be annoying but they didn't do anything OTL in WW1, don't see why they would try now.

Belgium is only really necessary for Germany in checking British power and having an easy place to shell London from- if relations with Britain have cooled and Russia is the most pressing matter, then I can see them coming to a settlement with the French.

Making your populace educated isn't related to infrastructure, the Russians will first abolish serfdom and do agricultural reforms and then start industrialization and education, they would certainly succeed in having an educated and rich population maybe not on Germany's level but still.

How are you going to teach the people without schools? How are you going to build schools across Eurasia without a good infrastructural system?

The Entente doesn't have enough ships, in addition to Germany they have to worry about Italy and Greece in the Med so they will probably just send enough help for the Ottomans to not lose or have a slightly stronger fleet.

The British navy could handily wipe the floor with everyone but the German navy, though.

Lat Am is in the US sphere of influence and most of them wouldn't be rich since they still would have economies based on selling raw materials, one may've industrialized but it wouldn't necessarily prefer Germany and it certainly wouldn't want to get involved in the war for no reason.

The US has a lot less influence ITTL and far less able to pursue the Monroe doctrine- also, the larger states of LatAm would be significantly stronger than the sum of their parts OTL, they could well be of use to Germany.

GB wouldn't want to join, they've been destroyed by WW1, joining WW2 would be stupid and unpopular.

They were destroyed by WW1 OTL, too- I agree it’d be a tough sell, but if Russia is particularly aggressive leading up to or during the war Britain could be sufficiently afraid to join.

Knowing what happened in WW2 with a far inferior 'Russia' I have no doubts on who will win and on what will they search compromises since they already partitioned Europe? Their only real battleground would be China.

Influence in Asia and LatAm, I presume- also, I again would not say the USSR is “inferior” to this Russia in terms of war- they both have shitty commands (though for different reasons) and they both have issues of ethnic discontent, but the USSR had an extremely strong heavy industry base that could be even larger than Russias ITTL, and a hypercentralized command of the entire economy that allowed them to more efficiently transport industry and food to the east out of the German advance. This Russia is more rich and more present in world affairs prewar, though.