The eagle's left head

We have no idea if the Knights survived this.

Why wouldn't they ? , the knights are the medieval equivalent of an international society, so even if they lose their top men ( and principal base of operation ), they still have their countless continental holdings to draw from to train new recruits into the ranks of the Hospitallers

Great chapter, I hope after the Serbs it's time for The City finally. Unlike a campaign against the Ottomans or other big players it shouldn't hinder the financial recovery of the Laskarid realm much.

A single Lascarid galley appearing outside it might be enough to convince the mob to switch Emperors by now.

Where could they relocate to? Malta and Sicily are off the table and Cyprus doesn't look very secure.
perhaps in Spain on the border with Granada or in Africa
Perhaps, they could be relocated to one of the Baleares islands, providing that Aragon would see a benefice on it. Another option may be either to take the Cape Tres Forcas (Cape Three Forks) in the North African coast. Or if the Hospitallers would prefer another island/s then,I'd suggest that a possible option might be the so called "Tres Insulae" (Chafarinas Islands) in the Alboran Sea. and specifically the Isabel II Island. It's the central island from the small Archipelago, that's located at only a few kms off from the nearby to the then Marinids Sultanate sea town of Ras Kebdana.

Last edited:
After Rhodes falls, while Alexandros P. is in Macedonia, nothing prevents Buas and Kallergis from finishing off the job by invading Cyprus, in lieu of the OTL Genoese invasion of 1373.
What I find interesting in OTL is the logistics of the Genoese invasion of Cyprus. The Genoese sent over 43 galleys and 14,000 men. But the closest Genoese held territory was Chios. Getting resupplied in Crete is for obvious reasons out of the question hence the two possibilities, are either staging out of Rhodes or colluding with Muslim powers...

What I find interesting in OTL is the logistics of the Genoese invasion of Cyprus. The Genoese sent over 43 galleys and 14,000 men. But the closest Genoese held territory was Chios. Getting resupplied in Crete is for obvious reasons out of the question hence the two possibilities, are either staging out of Rhodes or colluding with Muslim powers...
Then, the Lascarids have both Rhodes and Crete to resupply, and the Genoese don't even have Chios.
I don't see that many infantry with the bulk of Lascarid forces in Macedonia, perhaps half that, mostly, and so many ships would be overkill given the Venetians and the Hospitalers are out and the Lascarids are controlling the sea.

It will be interesting to see how the war starts between the ottomans and the new byzantine / Sicily empire.
The Lascarids are now a Great Power and Murad might not want to attack them before he feels strong enough. However, I am not sure how much he can control the various Turkoman tribes. So my guess would be that minor raids might take place in the coming years.
While, would be interesting, if possible, to learn about the Ottoman perspective on the recents events in the Eastern Med/Aegean...
I think that, indeed, for Murad, the Sicilians, might be possible that they resemble to be a power to be reckoned. So if so, either it would cause to divert his OTL Balkan expansion path, changing a bit towards the Danube, finishing and annexing both the Roman remnants, besieging Constantinople, so as and the Bulgars states.
Even, perhaps, leading the Ottomans to clash, earlier, with the Moldavian Voivodes or may happen that the Sultan Murad would decide that he doesn't have nothing to fear from some Greeks, that 'only' fought with some 'Latin Merchants' and some 'weak' Serbian princes and that are ruled by a woman. And, if so, he may decide to put them to test and either through Turkmens incursions or if an opportunity may arise, attack directly in Macedonia...
Getting resupplied in Crete is for obvious reasons out of the question hence the two possibilities, are either staging out of Rhodes or colluding with Muslim powers...
Adrianople, January 1372

Murad I had crossed the Hellespont aboard ships provided by the Genoese of Galata in the middle of winter,
OTL, Quid pro quo?

Last edited:
So the Venetians are out of the war and Rhodes liberated.
That leaves only Cyprus, ERE and Naples who are currently at war with Sicily. Oh, also Serbia.

John V can get a peace treaty after the last Imperial Aegean islands are liberated.
Cyprus should be the next target of the Despotate to finally end the last vestige of Frankokratia. (not counting Galata)
The Serbian Principalities are stuck between Hungary in the North, Ottomans in the East and Greco-Romans in the South. What fun times to be had.
As for Naples, the war can continue as it has since the 10 Year Truce ended.