• Sacramento Kings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phoenix Suns

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Golden State Warriors

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm away for the week, so have added a poll if anyone wants to predict the rest of the playoffs before the next update at the weekend.

1992-93 Season - The Playoffs: Comeback Season New
1992-93 Season - The Playoffs: Comeback Season
The Semi Finals:
Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 20.31.34.png
Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 20.31.52.png

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 20.32.06.png

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 20.32.21.png

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 20.32.38.png

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 20.32.51.png

The Conference Finals:
Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 23.23.30.png

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 23.23.40.png

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 23.23.53.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 20.47.21.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 20.47.21.png
    463.8 KB · Views: 3
Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 23.25.26.png

1992-93 NBA Championship Final:
Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 09.47.05.png
Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 09.52.03.png

Finals MVP:
Michael Jordan​

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 20.50.53.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 23.25.53.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 23.25.53.png
    228.7 KB · Views: 4
Wow, what an incredible playoffs and NBA Finals! I’m sure Jordan is happy with his second crown, should be an interesting offseason.

1993 Offseason: Drama in Utah New

1993 Offseason: Drama in Utah

25th anniversary of the 1993 NBA Draft in Salt Lake: An oral history of the night's top storylines from the Trail Blazers, Jazz, Lakers and Heat​

James L. Edwards III
Jun 18, 2018

“Good evening, and welcome to the Delta Center, here in Salt Lake City. And, this year, home of the 1993 NBA Draft.”

This month marks the 25th anniversary of those words uttered by then-NBA commissioner David Stern. On June 30, 1993, Stern walked out to the podium in Utah’s Delter Center and kicked off what would be the first and so far only NBA Draft held in Utah.

In the 26 seconds of Stern’s opening remarks, each reference the commissioner made to the hometown team and the city was met with seismic ovations that nearly drowned out the voice of the league’s most powerful person. The people of Utah, the supporters of Jazz basketball, were there to witness history.

As far as NBA Drafts go, this year was as eventful as any. And for the locals, there was a reason to tune in from the very beginning. The three marquee names were Utah native, Brigham Young’s 7-foot-6 big man Shawn Bradley, University of Michigan standout Chris Webber and Memphis guard Penny Hardaway. It was believed going into the night that Webber would go No. 1 in his hometown, but Bradley and his uncoachable height had a case for the top slot, too. Hardaway was expected to fall in line behind the other two.

And that’s exactly what happened. However, the signature moment from the event came when the Miami Heat and the Portland Trail Blazers revealed their plan to swap Webber and Blazers legend Clyde Drexler, after Miami took the Michigan star at No. 1. It was a deal that was negotiated earlier that day, and one that was kept quiet until Stern announced the trade over the PA system in the Delta Center.

For the Jazz, they were just a few years removed from the dark days of the 1989 season, where they had picked up just 16 wins. The Jazz had slowly started to pick themselves up since then, though were still trying to find ways to turn themselves back into a playoff team. The 1993 draft was a great opportunity, as Utah held the No. 2 pick despite having more wins than 5 other teams in the regular 1992-93 season. Their success in the lottery meant that the Utah crowd were expecting to see local star Shawn Bradley drafted to his home team, and they would not be disappointed.

Welcome to Salt Lake City

From 1980 to 1991, New York was the home of the NBA Draft. And then, in the early 1990s, the NBA decided to take its draft show on the road. In 1992, Portland became the first city outside of New York to host the annual event. The next year, Utah received the nod.

Matt Friedman, floor reporter for CBS Radio during the draft:
The draft used to be in places like the Felt Forum, which was an auditorium connected to Madison Square Garden in New York.

Jerry Sloan, Head Coach of the Jazz (1987-1993):
It was probably just a year before [that we placed the bid]. The league was experimenting. We jumped on board and we knew that Shawn Bradley would be a big factor. We had the new arena, amazing fans, that kind of underdog feeling that I think encapsulates the draft each year. It turned out that it was a pretty special draft.

Scott Layden, former Director of Basketball Operations at Utah Jazz:
We had a lottery for the tickets. We sort of made it into something bigger than it should have been. They sold out, but the tickets were free. We had 20,000 people there for the draft. It was extraordinarily successful, and as it turned out we got the No. 2 pick that year.

Dave Checketts, Utah native who was the New York Knicks President in 1993:
I came back to Detroit for the draft to represent the Knicks. Here you have what is equivalent to a big-time event, and you’ve got a certain buzz in the building. I believe the Center was packed.

Layden:
It was huge, and part of that was because you couldn’t get a ticket. People were scalping them for $20, $30 to get into this draft. From an NBA standpoint, it was as close to the NFL situation, meaning it was a must-see event. It took on a life of its own. It was almost entirely manmade by making it a lottery. We had 40,000 applicants to get the tickets.

Lindsey Hunter:
I got there the day before the draft. I didn’t really go anywhere, I just kind of stayed in my hotel. But I do remember the place was excited.

Penny Hardaway:
I got to Utah the afternoon before the draft. I just remember being very anxious. We went out to eat and you could feel the buzz in the area for the event. Plus, with Shawn Bradley being at BYU, being from the area, it was an exciting time for all of us.

Friedman:
Webber was the biggest high school sports athlete of that era by far. There’s some revisionist history stuff that goes on with him, but you can’t overstate how big of a name Chris Webber was in Detroit in the early 1990s. Leading up to the draft, “Would Webber go No. 1?” was without doubt the biggest story. The Heat, who had won the 1993 draft lottery, already had Larry Johnson at Power Forward and there was definitely that question of whether Miami could get the best out of both Johnson and Webber on the same team. We thought about that story all the time.

Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers Head Coach in 1993:
I would say there was more talk about Shawn or Chris going No. 1. The consensus was that Penny was going to be a really, really good player, but just didn’t quite have the hype of the other two.

Lewis Schaffel, Miami Heat General Manager in 1993:
Webber, Bradley and Penny were the three top players. We brought them all in and worked them out. We came away convinced that Webber was the guy we were going to take. Our fans were hysterical about the thought of Johnson and Chris Webber together.

Stern walked back to the podium to announce that Webber was the No. 1 pick. As soon as the name “Chris” exited his mouth, the crowd in Auburn Hills canceled out the rest of his words with their standing ovation and overpowering excitement. Everyone thought Webber was headed to Orlando, but Schaffel and Portland head coach Rick Adelman knew that wasn’t the case.

Bob Neal, TNT broadcaster, live on the broadcast as Webber went No. 1:
The celebration begins for the 20-year-old sophomore who played two years at the University of Michigan — consensus All-American. Chris Webber played at Country Day High School in suburban Birmingham, Michigan. A lot of his high school teammates, his childhood friends, are here in Utah tonight to enjoy this big moment for the young man …

Hubie Brown, TNT analyst, live on the broadcast:
You’re talking the presence is the key package here, you’re talking brute strength. He’s going to have to get on the foul line and shoot better than 55 percent, otherwise we’re going to have two guys who are going to be fouled every night. Larry Johnson and Webber, and we’re liable to have a lot of rebounding, offensive board play.

Webber, being interviewed following selection:
First, I’m just happy to be the No. 1 pick. There’s no guarantee that I’m going to get to go to Miami — a lot of things can still happen. I just thank God for blessing me. God gave me the talent, He gave me the ability, and when people doubted me, God still was on my side, so I’m just happy everything worked out OK.

Neal during the broadcast:
I know there’s been a great deal of speculation as to whether or not Webber would in fact go to Miami the last couple of days. Everything from Anfernee (Penny) Hardaway going all the way up to Miami to Shawn Bradley going there and having a duo of Bradley and Larry Johnson.

Schaffel, 25 years later:
The excitement in Miami when we took him was off the charts. He was the most visible of all of those college players.

Meanwhile, across the country in Portland, the Trail Blazers were a year on from the start of a huge franchise rebuild. On the night of the 1992 draft, they’d sent three key players to Golden State in exchange for their No. 2 pick, which they used to take Center Alonzo Mourning. Alongside Mourning was the No. 20 pick from 1992 Latrell Sprewell, who had had an exceptional first season.

Adelman:
At the time, we had the longest playoff streak of any team in the league, but hadn’t even made the Conference final since 1987. We had a great leader in Clyde Drexler, but the West was just stacked during the 80’s and early 90’s. We drafted Clyde in 1983, just as the Lakers were dominating everyone and then Houston got their hands on Barkley and Hakeem. There was maybe a slight opportunity the two years Dallas went back to back, but they had Aguirre, Isiah, Benjamin. We just didn’t have the depth to compete with these teams in the playoffs. I said to Paul (Allen, Portland owner) around the time Houston won ring number 2, we need to change track and get ourselves ready for when Houston and Dallas start to drop off.

Clyde Drexler:
I said to Paul that if we didn’t at least make the Conference Finals in 92 I wanted to move to a contender. He told me about the trade for Alonzo and asked me to give it another year, which I did. Being knocked out by the team we’d made the trade with (Golden State) and seeing three of my old teammates advance to the West Final was kinda the final straw.

Schaffel:
I was in touch with Paul Allen of the Trail Blazers and he was very eager to get Webber. They didn’t have a need for Bradley, but they saw a potential partnership between Webber and Alonzo Mourning. For us, we saw the opportunity of getting one of the greatest players in the league at the time. We knew Drexler wanted out of Portland.

“You can’t teach height” — Jazz general manager Scott Layden

As everyone anticipated, the Utah Jazz took BYU big man and local star Shawn Bradley with the No. 2 pick. The room was met with a noise that drowned out Commissioner David Stern for a good few minutes.

Layden:
He was highly recruited out of high school. There just wasn’t a lot of 7-foot-6 guys then. BYU was never on TV, but we knew who he was and had a pretty good sense of his game due to him being a local lad.
Bernie Bickerstaff, the Utah Jazz Head Coach: I had not long got the job in Utah, and we had the No. 2 pick. I would say we liked all three of those guys (Webber, Bradley, Hardaway). We were content that at the second spot that we’d get a good enough player that we weren’t going to try to move into the first position. We had a decision between Penny and Shawn Bradley. We liked Bradley a lot. Was the decision influenced by him being from Utah? It’s difficult to say.

Hardaway:
I knew Utah wanted their native star. They didn’t want a guard from Tennessee. I knew that I was safe with Utah and that I’d be picked by the Lakers. I was very excited.

Neal during the broadcast after Bradley’s name was announced:
Very clean-cut young man. He spent the last two years in Australia on a church mission for the Mormon church. He last played at BYU in 1990-91. He’s from the small town of Castle Dale, Utah, just over 1,000 population. Now he has the opportunity to become an All Star with his home franchise.

Doug Collins, TNT analyst, during the broadcast:
This is a young man that they can build a new team around. … When you look at the highlights, this is a young man that can run and catch the ball and has moves. He’s just going to have to get bigger and stronger.

Hardaway:
I played against Shawn in college and I faced him in high school. I knew exactly what he was.

Brown during the broadcast:
When you watch him play, he has a game with his back to the basket. He can hit the jump shot, the shot blocking. You say, “Well, five [blocks] a game as a freshman, that’s not so many,” well in ’91 that led the NCAA. He’s blessed, he can really run, he has great eye-and-hand coordination — you can’t bat over .400 in high school baseball unless you have that. Plus, he’s an excellent golfer. He loves to water ski. He’s a very well-rounded individual. You know he’s going to work hard at the game. But you’re talking about a guy that can change everything, the complexion of the paint.

Bradley during the live interview:
I’m just a 7-6 kid that loves to have fun and loves to play the game. I feel, at 7-6, being able to play many different sports has been a benefit all my life, and I enjoy the game a lot. My heart’s into it. … I would not trade my missionary experience for anything in the world. It was the best thing to have prepared me for the rest of my life, (more) than anything I could have done at the time.
Layden:
Given his size and athleticism, for a guy that size, it seemed to us that it would translate to a player who would have a big impact on our franchise. We expected a big increase in support.

Now that Bradley was off the board, the team with the No. 3 overall pick, the Los Angeles Lakers had the easy decision of drafting Penny Hardaway.

Hardaway:
I knew pretty much from the start I would go to the Lakers. Utah were always going to take Shawn and I was never being taken over Chris. Honestly, I was very thrilled at the thought of playing for this historic team. And to then find out that Magic Johnson was going to be the new coach, it was like a dream come true.

Neal during the broadcast:
A wonderful moment for Anfernee Hardaway. … The greatest player in the history of Memphis State, certainly while he’s been at college. Some people say they remind him of a young Magic Johnson, well he’s now going to get the opportunity to develop his game under the tutelage of the great himself. He’s a ball-handling point guard at 6-7. He can play two or three positions if he needs to. And now he dons the cap of the Los Angeles Lakers.

Magic Johnson:
The roster was in desperate need of freshening up at Point Guard, which was kind of my own fault because I’d retired so suddenly and not given the team any chance to kind of plan ahead. Anfernee was exactly what we needed, and we hoped he might be the player who could rejuvenate the Franchise.

Brown during the broadcast:
It’s interesting because the scouts that you truly respect in this league feel that he’s the best player in the draft. We’re talking about a tremendously talented individual.

Following the selection of Hardaway, the New Jersey Nets selected Hartford power forward Vin Baker with the No. 4 pick and the Denver Nuggets took Jamal Mashburn at No. 5. Stern once again approached the podium, but this time it was to officially announce the trade, which was hinted at during the entire broadcast.

Schaffel:
A little while later David Stern comes out and says, “I’d like to report a trade.” He broke the news. Our fans were absolutely in rebellion. They were upset.

Stern during the draft:
Miami … (boos ring throughout the Delta Center) … has traded the draft rights to Chris Webber to Portland Trail Blazers in exchange for Clyde Drexler and a first-round draft pick, which will be exercised, at the earliest, in the year 1996.

After chatting with someone in his entourage, Webber got up from his table in the green room and headed toward the stage.

Webber during the live interview:
I’m just happy to be the No. 1 pick. I thank God for the ability to play basketball. I’m just happy to be part of the NBA.

Drexler, 25 years later:
I knew (about the trade). I don’t think Chris knew about the trade. I think it was more of a shock to him. He seemed happy though. Moving to Portland meant he could play perimeter alongside Alonzo, whereas in Miami he would almost certainly have been at 5.

Friedman:
The Heat took Webber No. 1 and we never really thought about a trade because there was no tipping picks then. When they announced it, that’s how you found out about it. That trade was announced over a PA.

Neal:
It became a double story. Who trades the first pick in the draft? Usually you make the trade before the draft, but it hadn’t really been done after already making the pick.

Schaffel:
Nobody knew anything. I had a job to do. I had to come out and try to talk to our fans. I tried to explain it to our fans. They didn’t want to hear anything. They drowned me out. The best I could do was, “Fans, you’re booing tonight, but Clyde is going to turn your boos to cheers.’ And then I got off the stage as fast as I could. Nothing I could say that night would appease them. All I could hope was that they would be appeased by the end of the season. We still hadn’t made the playoffs as a franchise, that needed to change.

The 1993 First Round Draft in Full
Chris Webber
Portland Trail Blazers (Via Heat)
Shawn Bradley
Utah Jazz
Penny Hardaway
Los Angeles Lakers
Vin Baker
New Jersey Nets (Via Clippers)
Jamal Mashburn
Denver Nuggets
Isiah Rider
New Jersey Nets
Bobby Hurley
Minnesota Polars
Calbert Cheaney
Charlotte Hornets
Lindsay Hunter
Milwaukee Bucks (Via Detroit)
Allan Houston
Milwaukee Bucks
Luther Wright
Washington Bullets
Rodney Rogers
Seattle SuperSonics
Terry Dehere
Los Angeles Clippers (Via Atlanta)
Scott Haskin
Toronto Huskies
George Lynch
Golden State Warriors (Via Portland)
Sam Cassell
Tampa Bay Bandits (Via Philadelphia)
Doug Edwards
Phoenix Suns
Gheorghe Muresan
Detroit Pistons (Via Indiana)
Acie Earl
Boston Celtics
Corie Blount
Sacramento Kings
Rex Walters
Golden State Warriors
Lucious Harris
Chicago Bulls
Ervin Johnson
Denver Nuggets (Via Tampa Bay)
Chris Mills
Dallas Mavericks
James Robinson
Houston Rockets
Bruce Bowen
Cleveland Cavaliers
Nick Van Exel
Washington Bullets (Via New York)

Notable Trades - 1993 Offseason
1st Pick
Miami Heat
Clyde Drexler, 96 1 Rd Pick
Portland Trail Blazers
Cliff Robinson
Portland Trail Blazers
Willie Anderson
Atlanta Hawks
Charles Oakley, Bobby Phills
Charlotte Hornets
Kendall Gill, Tom Gugliotta
Philadelphia 76ers
Kendall Gill, J.R Reid
Charlotte Hornets
94 1st Rd Pick, John Williams
Los Angeles Clippers
Mark Aguirre
Dallas Mavericks
95 1 Rd Pick, Tim Perry
New Jersey Nets
Wayman Tisdale
Golden State Warriors
Jim Jackson
Toronto Huskies
Glen Rice, Stanley Roberts
Utah Jazz
Christian Laettner, Walt Williams, 95 1 Rd Pick
Denver Nuggets

Up Next: The 10 Year Recap

**This post was inspired the real article about the 1993 draft under the same name, I've just rehashed it to reflect ITTL events.**

NBA: The Difference a Trade Makes - 10 Year Recap New
NBA: The Difference a Trade Makes - 10 Year Recap

Season by Season
Champions
Runner Up
Finals MVP
Season MVP
Leading Points Scorer
Rookie of the Year
Len Bias Sixth Man of the Year
Defensive Player of the Year
Most Improved Player
1983-84
Los Angeles Lakers
Boston Celtics
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Magic Johnson (PG) (Lakers)
Larry Bird (SF)
(26.7) (Celtics)
Ralph Sampson (Rockets)
Kevin McHale
(Celtics)
Tree Rollins
(Hawks)
Sleepy Floyd (Warriors)
1984-85
Dallas Mavericks
Boston Celtics
Mark Aguirre
Dominique Wilkins (SF) (28.7) (Hawks)
Michael Jordan (Knicks)
Larry Drew
(Hawks)
Ralph Sampson
(Bulls)
James Worthy (Lakers)
1985-86
Los Angeles Lakers
Boston Celtics
Magic Johnson
Dominique Wilkins (SF) (29.0) (Hawks)
Patrick Ewing
(Kings)
Reggie Theus
(Spurs)
Akeem Olajuwon (Rockets)
Clyde Drexler
(Trail Blazers)
1986-87
Los Angeles Lakers
Detroit Pistons
Magic Johnson
Dominique Wilkins (SF) (27.4) (Hawks)
Len Bias
(Rockets)
Len Bias
(Rockets)
Akeem Olajuwon (Rockets)
Kenny Fields (Bucks)
1987-88
Houston Rockets
Tampa Bay Bandits
Charles Barkley
Michael Jordan (SG) (Knicks)
Michael Jordan (SG)
(28.0) (Knicks)
David Robinson (Bandits)
Len Bias
(Rockets)
David Robinson (Bandits)
William Bedford (Bullets)
1988-89
Dallas Mavericks
Indiana Pacers
Mark Aguirre
Magic Johnson (PG)
(28.8) (Lakers)
Mitch Richmond (Cavaliers)
Hot Rod Williams (SuperSonics)
Akeem Olajuwon (Rockets)
Marvis Fresh
(Heat)
1989-90
Dallas Mavericks
Detroit Pistons
Mark Aguirre
Akeem Olajuwon (C) (Rockets)
Alex English (SF)
(26.8) (Heat)
Tim Hardaway (Warriors)
Clark Kellogg
(Celtics)
Akeem Olajuwon (Rockets)
Gary Grant (Huskies)
1990-91
New York Knicks
Sacramento Kings
Michael Jordan
Magic Johnson (PG)
(28.0) (Lakers)
Derrick Coleman (Bullets)
Clark Kellogg
(Celtics)
Patrick Ewing
(Kings)
Dino Radja
(Knicks)
1991-92
Houston Rockets
New York Knicks
Dominique Wilkins
Tim Hardaway (PG)
(27.2) (Warriors)
Larry Johnson
(Heat)
Billy Owens
(Pacers)
Hakeem Olajuwon (Rockets)
Doug West
(Lakers)
1992-93
New York Knicks
Houston Rockets
Michael Jordan
Michael Jordan (SG)
(26.1) (Knicks)
Shaquille O'Neal (76ers)
Dee Brown
(Nuggets)
Hakeem Olajuwon (Rockets)
Kendall Gill
(76ers)

Team Wins by Season
Total
Atlanta Hawks
Boston Celtics
Charlotte Hornets
Chicago Bulls
Cleveland Cavaliers
Dallas Mavericks
Denver Nuggets
Detroit Pistons
Golden State Warriors
Houston Rockets
Indiana Pacers
Kansas City / Sacramento Kings
Los Angeles Lakers
Miami Heat
Milwaukee Bucks
Minnesota Polars
New Jersey Nets
New York Knicks
Philadelphia 76ers
Phoenix Suns
Portland Trail Blazers
San Antonio Spurs / Tampa Bay Bandits
San Diego / Los Angeles Clippers
Seattle SuperSonics
Toronto Huskies
Utah Jazz
Washington Bullets

Team Playoff History
Atlanta Hawks
SF
(Pistons)
DNQ
1 Rd
(Pistons)
1 Rd
(Knicks)
East Final (Bandits)
SF
(Pacers)
East Final (Pistons)
East Final (Knicks)
1 Rd
(Knicks)
SF
(Pacers)
Boston Celtics
NBA Final (Lakers)
NBA Final (Mavericks)
NBA Final (Lakers)
SF
(Pistons)
1 Rd
(Bullets)
DNQ
SF
(Hawks)
SF
(Knicks)
DNQ
1 Rd
(Pacers)
Charlotte Hornets
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
1 Rd
(Bullets)
DNQ
Chicago Bulls
DNQ
1 Rd
(Celtics)
1 Rd
(Bucks)
1 Rd
(Celtics)
1 Rd
(Nets)
West Final (Mavericks)
1 Rd
(Kings)
1 Rd (Mavericks)
1 Rd
(Trail Blazers)
1 Rd
(Kings)
Cleveland Cavaliers
1 Rd
(Pistons)
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
1 Rd
(Pacers)
DNQ
1 Rd
(Hawks)
SF
(Knicks)
1 Rd
(Hawks)
Dallas Mavericks
SF
(Trail Blazers)
W
1 Rd
(Jazz)
SF
(Lakers)
SF
(Rockets)
W
W
SF
(Rockets)
West Final (Rockets)
1 Rd
(Suns)
Denver Nuggets
1 Rd (Mavericks)
1 Rd
(Jazz)
1 Rd
(Lakers)
1 Rd
(Rockets)
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
1 Rd
(Kings)
DNQ
DNQ
Detroit Pistons
East Final (Celtics)
SF
(76ers)
East Final (Celtics)
NBA Final (Lakers)
1 Rd
(Hawks)
1 Rd
(Knicks)
NBA Final (Mavericks)
1 Rd
(Bandits)
DNQ
DNQ
Golden State Warriors
DNQ
SF
(Trail Blazers)
1 Rd
(Trail Blazers)
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
West Final (Rockets)
Houston Rockets
DNQ
1 Rd
(Mavericks)
DNQ
SF
(Trail Blazers)
W
1 Rd
(Suns)
SF
(Kings)
West Final (Kings)
W
NBA Final (Knicks)
Indiana Pacers
DNQ
DNQ
1 Rd
(Knicks)
1 Rd
(Pistons)
DNQ
NBA Final (Mavericks)
1 Rd
(Pistons)
DNQ
East Final (Knicks)
East Final (Knicks)
Kansas City / Sacramento Kings
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
1 Rd (Mavericks)
1 Rd
(Trail Blazers)
1 Rd
(Mavericks)
West Final (Mavericks)
NBA Final (Knicks)
1 Rd
(Suns)
SF
(Rockets)
Los Angeles Lakers
W
1 Rd
(Warriors)
W
W
West Final (Rockets)
SF
(Mavericks)
SF
(Mavericks)
1 Rd
(Bucks)
DNQ
DNQ
Miami Heat
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
Milwaukee Bucks
1 Rd
(Hawks)
1 Rd
(76ers)
SF
(Celtics)
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
1 Rd
(Lakers)
SF
(Kings)
DNQ
DNQ
Minnesota Polars
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
New Jersey Nets
1 Rd
(76ers)
SF
(Celtics)
DNQ
1 Rd
(Bullets)
SF
(Bandits)
1 Rd
(Hawks)
1 Rd
(Bandits)
DNQ
1 Rd
(Cavaliers)
DNQ
New York Knicks
DNQ
1 Rd
(Pistons)
SF
(Pistons)
East Final (Pistons)
1 Rd
(Bandits)
East Final
(Pacers)
1 Rd
(Hawks)
W
NBA Final (Rockets)
W
Philadelphia 76ers
SF
(Celtics)
East Final
(Celtics)
1 Rd
(Celtics)
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
1 Rd
(Celtics)
1 Rd
(Celtics)
DNQ
1 Rd
(Bandits)
Phoenix Suns
SF
(Lakers)
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
SF
(Bulls)
1 Rd
(Rockets)
DNQ
SF
(Mavericks)
SF
(Warriors)
Portland Trail Blazers
West Final (Lakers)
West Final (Mavericks)
SF
(Lakers)
West Final (Lakers)
SF
(Lakers)
1 Rd
(Lakers)
1 Rd
(Mavericks)
1 Rd
(Rockets)
SF
(Rockets)
1 Rd
(Warriors)
San Antonio Spurs / Tampa Bay Bandits
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
NBA Final (Rockets)
SF
(Knicks)
SF
(Pistons)
SF
(Hawks)
1 Rd
(Pacers)
SF
(Knicks)
San Diego / Los Angeles Clippers
1 Rd
(Lakers)
DNQ
West Final (Lakers)
1 Rd
(Lakers)
1 Rd
(Mavericks)
1 Rd
(Bulls)
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
Seattle SuperSonics
1 Rd
(Suns)
1 Rd
(Trail Blazers)
1 Rd
(Clippers)
1 Rd
(Trail Blazers)
1 Rd
(Rockets)
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
1 Rd
(Mavericks)
1 Rd
(Rockets)
Toronto Huskies
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
1 Rd
(Knicks)
Utah Jazz
1 Rd
(Trail Blazers)
SF
(Mavericks)
SF
(Clippers)
DNQ
1 Rd
(Lakers)
DNQ
DNQ
DNQ
1 Rd
(Rockets)
DNQ
Washington Bullets
1 Rd
(Celtics)
1 Rd
(Nets)
DNQ
SF
(Knicks)
SF
(Hawks)
1 Rd
(Bandits)
DNQ
1 Rd
(Knicks)
SF
(Pacers)
DNQ

Division and Conference Champions:
Atlantic
Boston Celtics
Boston Celtics
Boston Celtics
New York Knicks
New York Knicks
New York Knicks
Boston Celtics
Boston Celtics
New York Knicks
New York Knicks
Central
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Pistons
Indiana Pacers
Tampa Bay Bandits
Tampa Bay Bandits
Tampa Bay Bandits
Cleveland Cavaliers
Midwest
Denver Nuggets
Utah Jazz
Dallas Mavericks
Houston Rockets
Houston Rockets
Houston Rockets
Houston Rockets
Dallas Mavericks
Houston Rockets
Houston Rockets
Pacific
Los Angeles Lakers
Los Angeles Lakers
Los Angeles Lakers
Los Angeles Lakers
Sacramento Kings
Sacramento Kings
Los Angeles Lakers
Sacramento Kings
Sacramento Kings
Golden State Warriors
East
Boston Celtics
Boston Celtics
Boston Celtics
Detroit Pistons
Tampa Bay Bandits
Indiana Pacers
Detroit Pistons
New York Knicks
New York Knicks
New York Knicks
West
Los Angeles Lakers
Dallas Mavericks
Los Angeles Lakers
Los Angeles Lakers
Houston Rockets
Dallas Mavericks
Dallas Mavericks
Sacramento Kings
Houston Rockets
Houston Rockets

Coach History (Head Coach at start of each season shown)
1983/84
1984/85
1985/86
1986/87
1987/88
1988/89
1989/90
1990/91
1991/92
1992/93
1993/94
Atlanta Hawks