I don't think this was ever asked, but does the Russian invasion of Ukraine still happen? Perhaps a bit earlier as Putin may have felt the USA wouldn't intervene given they were already involved in the Pakistan War?

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
I don't think this was ever asked, but does the Russian invasion of Ukraine still happen? Perhaps a bit earlier as Putin may have felt the USA wouldn't intervene given they were already involved in the Pakistan War?
2022 is pretty much beyond the direct scope of this work, but between the Pakistan War and decades of divergence from certain OTL trends I want to say that the so-called "Special Military Operation" doesn't happen, at least nothing like it here.
That said, bringing this up is, truth be told, dangerously close to treading on current politics. As such I imagine it'd be best to ease up on further discussion.

Personally, I've never really been sold on the idea of OTL looking like a dystopia compared to TTL.
I want to say it's hit and miss. At the bare minimum it's different, and there's a lot of things desirable about this world but I don't think I'd give up my life for another world, as much as I'm dissatisfied with mine.
I guess I should make a massive pros and cons list as well, 70% of which would be the video games we do and don't get.

I was born in 2002 in Scotland so maybe I don’t exist, which considering most of the stuff I love also doesn’t exist ITTL, alongside 9/11 being deadlier and many good people dying, I’m actually fine with. I’ll take OTL over TTL.

How cool! Haven't really followed Fallout recently though I am looking forward to the fan project Fallout: London (a mod for OTL Fallout 4) which is set to drop later this year. Back on course, haven't paid much attention to OWB personally, but I think your synopsis for the Fallout world in the P2S trilogy being set into a popular map game is spot-on.
Note: I will have some spoilers for a pop-culture timeline that currently exists on the conceptual level here

Fun fact re: Fallout. The idea of the OWB dev team legitimately embracing the idea of a sane path for the Enclave or a Enclave breakoff taking a different approach is tied to some ideas I have for a pop-culture timeline that currently exists on the conceptual level here in my head, but I hope to write someday as soon as I have the right POD.

Through the idea there as to how people accept the idea of a "nicer Enclave" is that, in addition from Fallout's satire being less relevant in my planned TL with weaker political polarization and radicalization in alt-US in general*, the Enclave is gradually seen as not the "most evil group in the setting" due to Black Isles not only avoiding bankruptcy, but releasing their own Fallout 3 with Victor Presper as the big bad(who also had a extremely genocidal goal of cleansing humanity), and a Fallout game set in Washington and Alaska featuring a extremely genocidal human supremacism chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel as the first set of antagonists. This causes the uniqueness of the Enclave's atrocities to be gradually diluted by legitimately equally bad villains. Eventually, there is a future game that reintroduces the remnants of the Enclave as more smarter and having learned their mistakes in Fallout 2 albeit pragmatically, seeking now to rule the Wasteland rather than destroy it, and this reorganized Enclave does have a fair bit of members that are legitimately sympathetic or well-intentioned. While the Enclave are still major antagonists, the players could work with them in this hypothetical Fallout game in a low Karma route, and they are more "Wasteland <insert legitimately nuanced villain here>" than "Wasteland American Hitler" to put it. This basically influences how alt-OWB is developed.

This is tied to my theory that the reason that people in the 1990s accepted the Galactic Empire's face turn under Pellaeon in Star Wars Legends is because the Empire, while the big bad even without Palpatine in the Bantam Spectra era of EU, they got superseded by other villains at the end of the Bantam era that can give them a run for the money in the nastiness department(ie: Pius Dea and Yuuzhan Vong both come to mind, as well as there being a argument that Emperor Vitiate is far worse than Palpatine in many levels) diminished the uniqueness of the evil of the Palpatine Empire and made the idea of a reformist Empire remnant post-Endor a much easier pill to swallow. And there is of course nostalgia towards Legends era in response at what Disney did with the Sequels. Also both the Empire and the Enclave/Pre-War government were take thats directed at the conduct of the IRL US government it should be noted. And so I applied this theory to the Fallout Universe to have a smoother landing(or Vertibird landing to put it) for this plot point

*(made possible by a slightly more left wing US spurred more successful Green Party that influenced things at the local level and forces the democrats left on a couple of issues)

Last edited:
Hello, I've been following this thread for a bit now, just now wanted to post some questions. I have a whole list. Maybe a couple ideas.
So to start off with the Chris chan stuff since it baffles me a lot...

1. How come Chris chan did the shooting? Out of timeline chris isnt even physically violent. He just acts goofy. I dont think he even knows how to use guns.

2. Since Chris replaced dylan in this timeline so all the Chris trolls have been butterflyed (aka just living normal lives), does dylan become the lolcow instead now?

3. are chris's sweethearts still alive since they attended manchester? Such as megan? Is mary lee walsh alive?

4. Did the police leak chris' Sonichu comics? Any change of them?

Now some questions i have about some games:
1. Yes.. you guessed it, im starting off with my boy morgana. Since persona 5 is the same game with a different cast, what happened to Morgana, or at least his equivalent. You havent mentioned what it was. I'm assuming at best his alt timeline equivalent is his original beta design with a different name.

2.On topic of persona 5, did the game get mainstream through some other means than his smash debut or did it not get mainstream at all.

3. on topic of PERSONA as a whole, did persona 4 and persona 3 get the similar treatment p5 did?

4. Does dissidia final fantasy change by any chance since the FF series has overgoed a significant change or does dissidia become a kingdom hearts fighting game instead?

5. Not so much a question but probably an idea moreso... You said MUGEN hasnt really overgo any changes but I would digress. mugen's entire life support is because a bunch of iconic characters are fighting each other. both from FGs and not from FGs. Im certain that peter griffin character would be Larry instead and he would be fighting against homer. Many references would change, we would see a buncha pokemon we arent familiar with out of time line in this version of Mugen, gameplay elements from street fighter omega, and since nintendo kicked off into 3d earlier, Mugen would likely be in 3d too or at best, 2.5D. Theres a lot going on for Mugen in this timeline being so heavily reliant on pop culture. I myself wouldnt make the characters that people know me by because in this timeline i probably would of never touched video games apart from arcade machines til i was 18 rather than 4 and at that point id probably not care for MUGEN. :pensive:

6. any plans to make wikipedia article styled entries for the Original characters made for this timeline?

7. Does super smash bros still continue without sakurai?

Now some questions about stuff i didnt see anywhere in the threads:

1. What is the in timeline equivalent of Club penguin?

2. Does studio ghibli still live on considering one of their big creators has died in the kadokawa shooting?

4. Does FNAF still exist?

5. Does toby fox work for a bunch of japanese creators like ZUN and whoever does pokemon still in this timeline? I know undertale got butterflied.

6. how big is the indie gaming scene in this timeline?

7. How is yo-kai watch in this timeline if it even exists?

8. Does adventure time still exist? if so, any changes?

9. Anything different going on with openai? around 2021 out of timeline, chatgpt was still in development and we were just starting to see the surge in AI art with GAN (not stable diffusion) so anything different here?

10. What is the angry video game nerd like in this timeline?

11. are sanrio's animes such as Jewelpet, mewkledreamy, cinnamoroll the movie and those hello kitty and kuromi shorts still safe or have they not done them?

Last edited:
Hello, I've been following this thread for a bit now, just now wanted to post some questions. I have a whole list. Maybe a couple ideas.
So to start off with the Chris chan stuff since it baffles me a lot...

1. How come Chris chan did the shooting? Out of timeline chris isnt even physically violent. He just acts goofy. I dont think he even knows how to use guns.

2. Since Chris replaced dylan in this timeline so all the Chris trolls have been butterflyed (aka just living normal lives), does dylan become the lolcow instead now?

3. are chris's sweethearts still alive since they attended manchester? Such as megan? Is mary lee walsh alive?

4. Did the police leak chris' Sonichu comics? Any change of them?

Now some questions i have about some games:
1. Yes.. you guessed it, im starting off with my boy morgana. Since persona 5 is the same game with a different cast, what happened to Morgana, or at least his equivalent. You havent mentioned what it was. I'm assuming at best his alt timeline equivalent is his original beta design with a different name.

2.On topic of persona 5, did the game get mainstream through some other means than his smash debut or did it not get mainstream at all.

3. on topic of PERSONA as a whole, did persona 4 and persona 3 get the similar treatment p5 did?

4. Does dissidia final fantasy change by any chance since the FF series has overgoed a significant change or does dissidia become a kingdom hearts fighting game instead?

5. Not so much a question but probably an idea moreso... You said MUGEN hasnt really overgo any changes but I would digress. mugen's entire life support is because a bunch of iconic characters are fighting each other. both from FGs and not from FGs. Im certain that peter griffin character would be Larry instead and he would be fighting against homer. Many references would change, we would see a buncha pokemon we arent familiar with out of time line in this version of Mugen, gameplay elements from street fighter omega, and since nintendo kicked off into 3d earlier, Mugen would likely be in 3d too or at best, 2.5D. Theres a lot going on for Mugen in this timeline being so heavily reliant on pop culture. I myself wouldnt make the characters that people know me by because in this timeline i probably would of never touched video games apart from arcade machines til i was 18 rather than 4 and at that point id probably not care for MUGEN. :pensive:

6. any plans to make wikipedia article styled entries for the Original characters made for this timeline?

7. Does super smash bros still continue without sakurai?

Now some questions about stuff i didnt see anywhere in the threads:

1. What is the in timeline equivalent of Club penguin?

2. Does studio ghibli still live on considering one of their big creators has died in the kadokawa shooting?

4. Does FNAF still exist?

5. Does toby fox work for a bunch of japanese creators like ZUN and whoever does pokemon still in this timeline? I know undertale got butterflied.

6. how big is the indie gaming scene in this timeline?

7. How is yo-kai watch in this timeline if it even exists?

8. Does adventure time still exist? if so, any changes?

9. Anything different going on with openai? around 2021 out of timeline, chatgpt was still in development and we were just starting to see the surge in AI art with GAN (not stable diffusion) so anything different here?

10. What is the angry video game nerd like in this timeline?

11. are sanrio's animes such as Jewelpet, mewkledreamy, cinnamoroll the movie and those hello kitty and kuromi shorts still safe or have they not done them?
There was never an analogue of FNAF mentioned ITTL. There was a TTL game mentioned called Vidnight, a VR horror game that played similar to Five Nights but with clown goons instead of animatronics, though it's nowhere near the hit that FNAF is in OTL.

Angry Video Game Nerd is still around, though a major change in his life occurs when he wins a minor role in The Mask II (1996) through a Nintendo Power contest. He meets Jennifer Morrison on set and the two eventually start dating and get married. Many of his AVGN episodes have a somewhat higher budget because of this.

Adventure Time doesn't exist. Instead Pendleton Ward created Hero Quest for Cartoon Network. It has similar vibes to Adventure Time but isn't as big of an internet phenomenon, with a more mainstream fandom.

As for Dylan Klebold, it's mentioned that he separated from Eric Harris before the latter's failed school shooting attempt ITTL. Dylan is later stated to be rehabilitated and living a mostly uneventful life as part of the Denver Police.

Last edited:
There was never an analogue of FNAF mentioned ITTL. There was a TTL game mentioned called Vidnight, a VR horror game that played similar to Five Nights but with clown goons instead of animatronics, though it's nowhere near the hit that FNAF is in OTL.

Angry Video Game Nerd is still around, though a major change in his life occurs when he wins a minor role in The Mask II (1996) through a Nintendo Power contest. He meets Jennifer Morrison on set and the two eventually start dating and get married. Many of his AVGN episodes have a somewhat higher budget because of this.

Adventure Time doesn't exist. Instead Pendleton Ward created Hero Quest for Cartoon Network. It has similar vibes to Adventure Time but isn't as big of an internet phenomenon, with a more mainstream fandom.

As for Dylan Klebold, it's mentioned that he separated from Eric Harris before the latter's failed school shooting attempt ITTL. Dylan is later stated to be rehabilitated and living a mostly uneventful life as part of the Denver Police.
sheesh... So many hit indies just dont exist and mainstream games are completely different then you have genshin impact that seems to be mostly the same apart from the march release date rather than september. I suppose it makes sense. Most of those indies were created because they grew up with nintendo in their childhood and considering they shifted to a mature audience early on, they cant really grow up with them, can they. Good thing toby fox is at least still making some kind of game. But genshin of all things seeminly the same?

i have a headcanon that theres a ITTL chris chan-esque lolcow somewhere considering the wild west of the internet kinda needed one, and its way more likely ITTL than OTL considering people made fun of autistic people. May not be dylan but could be someone. Just wasnt mention.
speaking of headcanons. I have another headcanon that a lot of things not mentioned have a 25/25/25 chance theyre either mostly the same or non existent or completely different. I stumbled upon that club penguin got a mention but it was butterflied away into being another social MMO game not made by Disney, but I forgot its name, so something like Jewelpet for example could either have all the same episode plotlines but different references or different stories (such as what happened with DBZ), have an entirely different cast with the same story, theme and setting (such as persona 5, fallout 4 and final fantasy 14), or be completely butterflied and replaced as an original, similar anime (which imo is probably the most likely for jewelpet as a franchise because its owned by sega...)

Bit of a Seattle-centric question: What happened to Almost Live ITTL?
my simple rule of thumb is, if its not mentioned anywhere take a wild guess and say its either still around but with minor tweaks to fit the lore of ITTL or it got butterflied away and some similar equivalent to it by a whole nother company is running it. So almost live ITTL could be some other talk show at St. Louis by scott bakula and an unnamed partner host called Nearly livid

Speaking of, I have some ideas what Jewelpet could be ITTL... (sorry i love the anime dont mind me)... I cant write to save my life so it'll be bullet pointed like a recap.
None of this is canon. Just my silly headcanon.
- ITTL "Jewel Pet" (renamed for easier localization across nations due to Sega's plans) was launched earlier in 2006, rather than in 2008 as in OTL. It emerged as one of the first Sega toy franchises, co-partnered with Sanrio, in response to the controversies surrounding various media franchises not targeting younger demographics or shifting to older ones. The objective of "Jewel Pet" in this timeline was to create toys, games, and gachapons for a younger audience.

-The franchise experienced significant success, attracting a large female child audience and an even larger adult audience, similar to OTL. However, the difference in this timeline is that Jewel Pet became such a major phenomenon that it overshadowed My Little Pony, amassing a fanbase on the same scale as OTL's MLP, especially during 2009 - 2012. As a result, most early brony-related fan work was butterflied out and some replaced by Jewelpet equivalents.

- ITTL, the franchise is localized for spanish, english, french, protugese and japanese, for every piece of media about it rather than just Japan, obviously butterflying the fandubs of the anime.

- Many Jewel Pet games have surfaced, mainly on the (ITTL version of the DS and 3ds. Tell me what that would be). and two on the sega Katana in total of 6 games. Unfortunately, none of these games have done well whatsoever scoring on average 30 - 75 on metacritic. Most of the Jewelpet OTL games have remained intact with slight adjustments to fit TTL's version of the anime series but considering their low budget, they are much worse than OTL. Only the first game on the (ITTL version of the nintendo ds???) has scored a 75, interestingly enough was the only game developed by Hudsonsoft and Sega. The rest were pitched to third party developers. THis caused the franchise to still only be known for its anime just like OTL.

- ITTL, Jewel Pet has 6 seasons rather than 5. They are named the same with the 6th season being named "Bloom", however each human character has been replaced with entirely new characters with the same personality but a different name and design. The pets have a different design still maintaining the same name. The franchise mascot, Ruby has been swapped out to be Sango instead. the yellow cat OTL who still remains in tact. ITTL's ruby is an extra character who is a light red dog.
-the show has changed entirely to continue consistantly season by season aside being a universe reset. In Jewelpet '06 the show is mostly the same apart from different designs and personality with Dian becoming friendly and befriends the jewelpets, in twinkle, he teams up with the main 3 to stop the corruption that he caused from nearly destroying jewel land, Sunshine revolves around the protagonist's college years growing up eventually leaving the Pets for the next protagonist in Happiness eventually dian starts dating Garnet after several foreshadowing. In Kira-deco, the genre shifts from Magical girl to a card game shounen. Unlike OTL jewelpet where no one dies, this version, they do. 3 human side characters die and this marks the permanent death of a fanfavorite jewelpet, Diana who ITTL was the secondary antagonist of the first season, Dian's sister, and instead of being a black cat, she is a blue fox. This caused controversy as Diana was the most popular jewelpet except Sango, Garnet, and Sapphie.

- Jewel Pet sunshine no longer heavily references pop culture but there are still liscenesed music with some slight changes. OTL, sunshine uses music from The beatles, and aerosmith. ITTL, they use Nirvana and Smash Mouth instead.

- the 6 season is titled "Jewel Pet Bloom" which has been canceled after 3 episodes due to the writer of that series Yuko Kakihara leaving the anime industry in 2018 and Shiro Hamaguchi, the composer for the show focusing to work further on One Piece instead.

- Jewel Pet slowly declined over time, becoming irrelevant by 2017. Meanwhile, its rival, MLP:FIM, resurfaced, saving any brony fanwork post-2016 from the butterfly effect. In retaliation, Sanrio ordered Sega Toys to cancel the show and merchandise and create "DokiDoki Jams" instead, the alternate timeline version of Beatcats. "Jewel Pet Bloom" caused a major loss, and the three episodes of "Bloom" have remained partially lost media with all 3 episodes being uploaded with no sound and in low resolution.

- In its legacy, Jewel Pet has cameoed in Yakuza 7 as collectible crane machine toys instead of Miria mackenzie on a T-shirt in OTL's yakuza: Like a dragon.
- in other news, the ITTL version of morgana in persona 5 has been revealed to be a black cat named jessica, codenamed Orion bearing similarity to beta morgana otl except being slightly shorter looking by the torso, slightly chubbier and a rounder head with blue round eyes instead of a red swirl. Instead the red swirls is used as a treasure hunting mechanic

ill do one for the chris chan of ittl later if i feel like it.

Last edited:
I've gone through much of the timeline and there are some interesting developments to say the least along with an intriguing gaming what might have been to build it's world. You did a fine job, RySenkari!

Going through P2S, it seems that we never learned what happened to Ted Kaczinsky, aka the Unabomber. With Janet Reno dying early, it's possible that the succeeding Attorney-General would not publish Kaczinsky's manifesto that led to his arrest in OTL ... Is the Unabomber a cold case ITTL, or does he get caught in a different way?

@RySenkari @Nivek an curious question regarding Nickelodeon, but how come Nick never managed to start a block for their action-y shows(like Yu-Gi-Oh! or Megas XLR) to compete with Cartoon Network's Toonami and Disney Channel's Animagic? I think such block could have done wonders for them in the 2000s.

So I've just finished both FFVII remake and a watch of Advent Children Complete and I wonder, what was Advent Children like in this timeline? It was mentioned a few times in this timeline as still existing. I'm guessing that it is mostly the same as OTL except there is more emphasis on dealing with Sephiroth's remnants and it ends with Sephiroth perma-killed once and for all rather than it being ambigious whether Sephiroth still exists in the Lifestream(and if we are to believe certain interpretations of the Remake trilogy--still does and has put fourth a new plan of revenge by going back to the very beginning of it all)

Also how toxic was the FFVII LTD/Shipping Wars TTL? While Cloti is more clearly endgame here since VII-2 establishes Cloti as a couple, does Clerith get the total demonization it got in the west or is it seen as a sort of "it was fun while it lasted" thing like with how mainline Gwen Stacy's time as Spider-Man's love interest is viewed in most circles and not thought of too negatively? I do think the total demonization of the ship that didn't win out due to death could be averted with no Crisis Core and especially no 89 letters moment(let's just say that made Aerith look a bit too clingy to Zack and unable to truly look to the future).

And I guess the idea for a remake either never exists TTL or if it does, would come out wayyyy beyond the scope of the timeline, this being due to the fact that it would likely need to be one game with Tifa, Aerith, and Barrett death routes are all implemented over a single canon being forced on the player, especially with the fact that Square wants to expand on the various in-game sections. Note that this is of course, assuming it is a straight remake and not Sephiroth's final revenge from the afterlife.

(Obviously Square could use save importing, but they don't seem to want to do that especially since it is very likely the remake trilogy is one game per generation)

Last edited:
this to this day is one of the greatest timelines I've ever read, actually no, it is the greatest, it has its issues from a realism standpoint, but it's a solid story, even if it did kinda abruptly end with an epilogue, I would've loved to see things continue into 2024

the main problem I have with the timeline is its length, so many events diverge that realistically should've been untouched, like the 2000 election, I doubt the changes in the video game world would cause a change in the votes, all three parts of the timeline, especially massively multiplayer, feel bloated with unnecessary detail

Also this is something I am curious about, but how did you guys do a Kingdom Hearts III where every major villain is redeemed and it being implied that there wasn't much backlash? I am asking because I am planning on having alt-Xehanort or his equivalent in a gaming timeline I am planning also have a change of heart as per OTL and I want to have somewhat less backlash vs. OTL or at the very least Xehanort aging better as a villain in spite of the change of heart if there is still controversy over this.

plz dont delete vibri from TTL :closedtongue:

shes an absolute angel IOTL 🎹🐰🌻

i think undertale not existing and autistic people being treated the same as muslims after 9/11 thanks to kristen chandler is bad enough ITTL

Thinking about the earlier boom of female characters ITTL that started around the mid-90s and butterflied away the big muscular man trend that started in the 2000s, for the most part that is, I honestly think that the idea of Sonic Team capitalising on the rising feminism of TTL immediately and reworking Big the Cat to be a female for his (or in this case) her debut ITTL's Sonic the Hedgehog 4, likely as a sort of close-called decision was a missed opportunity. At least Rouge making her debut earlier in TTL 1999's Sonic 5 made up for the lack of a female Big ITTL, I'll give it to you that, and the female character boom probably didn't happen early enough for such a butterfly to take place anyway.