An AH Battle: An Alternate Battle of the Denmark Straight - (Operation Rheinübung) 1942.

See ships plan in the prologue, part one. ITTL the 16-inch gun was so poor they didn't arm the Rodney class with it. With treasury restrictions and the older 15-inchmodels both R & N got whole new design different build as shown. With a that layout and engines and the new pair could top out at 26knots, not 23 as IOTL. I did try to indicate things were different without going into all the nitty-gritty of the TL changes by its inclusion there, but in cutting down the picture I cropped out that the redesign had four screws not the two of the original. Sorry T.
No apology needed.
Making a faster Rodney or Nelson is good, and I never liked the 3x3 all forward layout. Apart from looking awful, it seems a high risk plan to have all the turrets together.

Last edited:
No apology needed.
Making a faster Rodney or Nelson is good, and I never liked the 3x3 all forward layout. Apart from looking awful, it seems a high risk plan to have all the turrets together.
Great minds think alike, though Ewen Chatfield wasn't fully happy at the time with the compromise. The initial design allowed a shorter thicker belt which isn't feasible with the change. To cover the extra length and get the speed the main belt was only 300mm (12-inches) down from the original designs 14-inches. Even the lighter main armament and only four twin 6-inch secondaries it couldn't quite keep the original thickness ITTL. Offsetting this he got his way with the armor of the later BB designs. T

Table and Maps 1 & 2 New
As promised here are the Table and Maps 1 & 2. I've still got to do the surface action map and that will be along soon with some pIccies. (PS: Which eagle-eyed AU contrarian can spot my “deliberate” mistake?) Actually I will load the corrected file with the surface action map soon, sorry. T
See post #34 for updated images . T

Last edited:
The Royal Navy definitely classed her as different but it could still be argued that that's the correct designation. (PS. I do side with the RN for your information).

The codebreakers at Bletchley Park had given the Admiralty news that German heavy ships were heading up the Norwegian coast...
BP could not read Kriegsmarine Enigma at this time. They were reading other keys, which provided very limited information about KM operations. British forces were directed to capture naval Enigma material whenever possible, which led to breaking the key in June 1941.

The battle occurs quite a bit northwards of where it happened in OTL?
Yep. Remember IOTL Bismarck tries to break south, then back towards Brest. ITTL the RN are moving into place earlier, more of a bigger threat. In addition, Lutjens turns back rather than pushing on. The carrier exchanges create delays earlier, damage etc... so basically, I have the entire battle proceeding nearer to Iceland for these reasons.

Poor old Hood cannot catch a Break!

Entertaining read.

1 thing I think you have missed in this story is that in 1942 airpower in Iceland was much stronger than in 1941 when it had only just been stood up and was dealing with the issues of weather and lack of infrastructure!

OTL this was not really fully resolved until 1943 but was far superior in 1942 than it was in 1941

If a breakout was expected then I am certain that increased air assets would be surged to the Island

Poor old Hood cannot catch a Break!

Entertaining read.

1 thing I think you have missed in this story is that in 1942 airpower in Iceland was much stronger than in 1941 when it had only just been stood up and was dealing with the issues of weather and lack of infrastructure!

OTL this was not really fully resolved until 1943 but was far superior in 1942 than it was in 1941

If a breakout was expected then I am certain that increased air assets would be surged to the Island
Yep, my bad as the correct date is 1941, Just shows what trying to push into the wee small hours of the morning does to you when you get a bee in the bonnet. Thats a mistake but no one has commented on the other boo-boo I saw only after posting the table. Think, "I am master of the Universe! I am... ?" Sorry for the blunders and Tks T

Corrected Maps and Images for the Battle Chapter. New
Thank you all for your feedback..
Hopefully here are the correct maps, table and add ons for the chapter. The external eye is always needed to pick up my mistakes. A couple of thanks for noticing my errors, such as 1942 date and spelling strait as straight just to name a few. No one picked up on the table that HMS Invincible had got to ride the seas again (I'd reused the Jutland battle table to work from and somehow didn't clear the Invincible cell. :biggrin:). Shucks and other adjectives. Anyhow here are the ad-ons for the Battle of the Barents Sea. Look forward to your comments and feedback. Enjoy T.

Denmark Straight Table.jpg Map_Rheinuebung.svg.png Denmark-Greenland_Iceland-01.jpg
j29dfiaz4fd71.jpg An actual shot of the GZ going down.
5graf.jpg A sonar image of the surprisingly intact GZ upright and on the bottom of the sea floor in 2016.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your feedback..
Hopefully here are the correct maps, table and add ons for the chapter. The external eye is always needed to pick up my mistakes. A couple of thanks for noticing my errors, such as 1942 date and spelling strait as straight just to name a few. No one picked up on the table that HMS Invincible had got to ride the seas again (I'd reused the Jutland battle table to work from and somehow didn't clear the Invincible cell. :biggrin:). Shucks and other adjectives. Anyhow here are the ad-ons for the Battle of the Barents Sea. Look forward to your comments and feedback. Enjoy T.

View attachment 907560 View attachment 907561 View attachment 907562 View attachment 907563 View attachment 907564
View attachment 907565 An actual shot of the GZ going down.
View attachment 907566 A sonar image of the surprisingly intact GZ upright and on the bottom of the sea floor in 2016.
The diagram of the hits on PoW looks great thank you. But add-ons for the Battle of Barents Sea? I can see you're trying to catch us out again!